Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:01 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It was a verbatim quote. You said the police are infallible. I quoted what you said word for word, and I disagree with what you say.
you took one quote and you discarded the following post where I already responded attempting to clarify what I was saying..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 10:08 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
you took one quote and you discarded the following post where I already responded attempting to clarify what I was saying..
I went back and reread it. I stand by what I said. If everyone believed the way you do, Maine would need no courts. We'd just throw anyone in jail if a police officer said to do it. I've never had a negative experience with a police officer anywhere in Maine, but I'm still glad the courts work the way they do.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
Quote:
I stand by what I said.
Of course you do.. I am not getting into a game of word-play with you.. you think what you want..

but I already know where you stand...

Quote:
Mainah's right (and you all know I rarely agree with him!), and Union Federal is right. There is a fine line of distinction between a cop and a criminal. Laws don't apply to cops. They drive as fast as they want and park anywhere with no responsibility for their conformity to the law.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
When cops start to drive within the speed limits and park in legal parking spaces, I'll reconsider. I notice squad cars from several different levels, from small communities to state police, driving without flashing lights 25 MPH over the speed limit on the way to their detachment or station 20 minutes before shift change. That is breaking the law by those who have sworn to uphold the law. It is a common and widespread attitude among police officers that they can do this. The power and authority allows them to live outside the law with impunity. Police officers should be held to a higher standard since they took an oath to uphold the law. Even the tiniest infraction should be dealt with.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
What's difficult is that folks who are STRONG supporters of LE (such as myself) are not listened to. If you say even one thing that expresses skepticism or questioning, you are immediately discounted as a "cop hater" or someone who doesn't support LE.
This can not be a good way to work with civilians who are natural LE supporters. It immediately makes them wonder if there is a major flaw in the investigatory process. It tarnishes the profession (the response, I'm talking about). It even borders on paranoia.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 881 times
Not necessarily referring to this case, but police are human beings and thus by definition and supported by all psychological research will make "x" number of mistakes statistically speaking.
The fact that NO officer shooting has ever been deemed "unjustified" by the AG is, statistically speaking, of such low probability that rigorous probability analysis makes such a result highly improbable.
radwjw

Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 PM

346 posts, read 786,095 times
For the cop bashers, ..
ever wonder why many people get off with warnings and others... 'get the wood'?

It's all in the first 20 seconds and the attitude that you have, .. trust me on this one.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,967 times
In my humble opinion, what separates the guy in the front seat of the patrol car, and the back seat of the car is about one eighth piece of metal. When you pay police such pitiful salaries, you don't always attract the brightest and best. That's nothing anti-police either. I was a police commissioner for 3 years, and every time one of my men got in trouble it was usually a zipper problem, as in couldn't keep it zipped. I would get up at night at times and go to a call. Nothing would make me sicker than to see a patrol car roll us with a female rider, at 4am. We allowed civilian riders in our cruisers with a signed release. It was meant for their wife, girlfriend etc., not a strange women no one had ever seen. As far as a throw away gun, you better believe the cops in the big cities have them. They are called on to make a split judgment decision, and sometimes they are wrong, and they get the book thrown at them. So they do take a little justice into their own hands, its called survival.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:11 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Of course you do.. I am not getting into a game of word-play with you.. you think what you want..

but I already know where you stand...
I didn't say my observations are the only ones people should use. I DID, however, make these observations at that gun shop on NUMEROUS occasions over a number of years. It was that type of macho banter found at a big game hunting camp, football game, biker bar, a strip club, or most other places dominated by males with egos. Most cops I have met have BIG egos. These cops felt safe talking "sh**" with each other at the gun shop as 90% of the people there were cops. I understand that much of their banter was just ego driven bull but the attitude was not one of a friendly helpful police officer. It was more like an episode of "Cops" where they beat the stuffing out of some guy they chased down and every one of them have to get a lick in. They were all smiles and giddy at the prospect of shooting at someone or whacking them senseless with a baton. Even the owner of the place was embarrassed by their talk and would roll his eyes at their stories. It's too bad they have to have a thug mentality but I guess you get what you pay for in this world. It IS frightening to think of these people enforcing the law. Crime in Maine has never reached the level that deserves this beat down mentality from the police. We read the police blotters too folks and it ain't Miami out there. Lighten up.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 PM

346 posts, read 786,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
I was a police commissioner for 3 years, and every time one of my men got in trouble it was usually a zipper problem, as in couldn't keep it zipped. As far as a throw away gun, you better believe the cops in the big cities have them. They are called on to make a split judgment decision, and sometimes they are wrong, and they get the book thrown at them. So they do take a little justice into their own hands, its called survival.

The 3 B's will always get a cop jammed up, .. Booze, Broads and Bullets.

Are you referring to an H&R 32 calibre breakfront?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine