Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:00 AM

78 posts, read 223,136 times

Advertisements

Our house has finally sold, YAY!!! We're looking to re-locate in Maine. A house in Canton caught my eye but don't know anything about the town.
Also looking at Frankfort, Anson, Farmington and Sullivan, Orrington and New Sharon. Orrington is last on the list due to PERC.

We are retired. Both like to be active in our town, however enjoy privacy, yet love stimulating conversation. I'd like to be within driving distance to a University campus which offers classes to seniors, especially writing and art. We are both avid readers. so a good library is a must. At some point medical will become more important as well as convenience of shopping. Neither of us are mall type people but appreciate a good Hannaford within a short distance.

Since there is always such great input on these threads, I would love whatever feedback you have to offer.
Thanks,
Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:15 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Picturing people franticly flipping pages in their DeLorme Atlases, give these folks some info on CAMDEN before they think we are ignoring them.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:41 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
NMLM, that is just too funny of an image...........classic!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:02 AM

Not sure what you're getting at NMLM, but seems like a slam. All you had to do is ignore my request. The town is Canton, not Camden.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Kate, I think it was more just good-natured teasing. Because it is a list of many different towns in many parts of Maine. Lots of people post on here asking for info about which towns to move to, you must understand (and half of the time, they're asking about Camden. Canton........not so much).
I'm sure he meant you no offense.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:12 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Excuse me all to pieces. I honestly never heard of Canton, Maine. They sure keep a low profile.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:35 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times
Not sure what house you're looking at in Canton, but be very careful that it's not one of those in the flood zone. Most of the town has been moved to higher ground over the past 10 years or so because of the persistent flooding. Last time I was through there you could actually see the "bathtub ring" around the exterior walls of many of the older homes down on the flats.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateg View Post
Also looking at Frankfort, Anson, Farmington and Sullivan, Orrington and New Sharon. Orrington is last on the list due to PERC.

Thanks,
Kate
Kate,

I know Farmington has the University campus, but don't know about the others.

Where are you moving from? Considering what you say you're looking for, how did you come up with the towns you list, above? Have you visited there, or just seen these places on the Net?

What is PERC, and what is it about Orrington that draws you?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:35 AM

Thank you Coaster. That is quite helpful. I spoke with the town clerk in Canton. Lovely person, but of course she lives there. In response to New England Girl, we're from New Hampshire and now living in nova Scotia. We thought our home was sold lasy year however it fell through due to lack of financing. As you all are seeing, I'm all over the map. I don't have a particular area in mind. We both enjoy the ocean and the mountains, therefore the stretches of area I'm researching. I look for the type of home at the price we want to pay and then I look at the area. Orrington has some lovely homes which is the draw. I'm narrowing down and will continue to do so with the assistance I receive from helpful people on City-Data. Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:39 AM

in addition, PERC is a trash to energy plant. They also have a plant in Bethlehem, NH and I've been told they are difficult to deal with. I have been able to find through a thread that there is an odor from the plant and traffic is heavy since trucks come in from several states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine