Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:31 PM

827 posts, read 1,673,240 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:07 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
The Bangor Mall opened for the first time in November, 1974. It opened a few months late and nobody was in the habit of shopping there yet. They were doing their best to attract shoppers to the field outside Bangor. The mall management brought in a bunch of reindeer (caribou) to provide an additional draw for the anticipated crowds.

Felicia Knight was the first woman television news anchor in Maine. She came to the mall to do some live coverage and went to the reindeer pens. There was a family and a cute little blond boy about six years old. Felicia went over to the boy and said, "What's you name?"

The boy answered, "Johnny."

"Well Johnny, What do you think about all of this?" The boy looked at Felicia, at the crowd, at all the reindeer and back at Felicia. He wrinkled up his face in thought.

"Lady, I don't know about all these people, but if my old man was here he'd sure numb one of them suckers."

Felicia looked stunned on live TV. She looked at the camera and with a pained expression and said, "Now back to the studio."

Mom hurried the kids into the pickup and headed back to Washington County.

- - -

Saw it myself on live black and white TV out of Bangor, Maine.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:52 PM

827 posts, read 1,673,240 times
I DO remember that. My dad was with me waching it and burst out laughing. IIRC she was on Channel 13 WGAN then now WGME

Old 11-10-2011, 06:15 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Help a newbie out...

What does, "numb one of them suckers" mean?

Old 11-10-2011, 06:23 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Help a newbie out...

What does, "numb one of them suckers" mean?
Shoot it

Old 11-11-2011, 03:37 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
I DO remember that. My dad was with me waching it and burst out laughing. IIRC she was on Channel 13 WGAN then now WGME
Felicia started out here on channel 5. WABI

Old 11-11-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The Bangor Mall opened for the first time in November, 1974. It opened a few months late and nobody was in the habit of shopping there yet. They were doing their best to attract shoppers to the field outside Bangor. The mall management brought in a bunch of reindeer (caribou) to provide an additional draw for the anticipated crowds.

Felicia Knight was the first woman television news anchor in Maine. She came to the mall to do some live coverage and went to the reindeer pens. There was a family and a cute little blond boy about six years old. Felicia went over to the boy and said, "What's you name?"

The boy answered, "Johnny."

"Well Johnny, What do you think about all of this?" The boy looked at Felicia, at the crowd, at all the reindeer and back at Felicia. He wrinkled up his face in thought.

"Lady, I don't know about all these people, but if my old man was here he'd sure numb one of them suckers."

Felicia looked stunned on live TV. She looked at the camera and with a pained expression and said, "Now back to the studio."

Mom hurried the kids into the pickup and headed back to Washington County.

- - -

Saw it myself on live black and white TV out of Bangor, Maine.

Mall opened in '78, but close enough...

Old 11-11-2011, 05:11 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Mall opened in '78, but close enough...
I was thinking that. I remember walking across that field going to see my uncle at K-Mart in the fall of '74. Airport Mall was the place to go. Fountain, Spencers.....

Old 11-11-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I was thinking that. I remember walking across that field going to see my uncle at K-Mart in the fall of '74. Airport Mall was the place to go. Fountain, Spencers.....
I was partial to the shopping center on Broadway.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:42 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I was partial to the shopping center on Broadway.
Zayres!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: