Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 11:44 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The problem with not paying them one thin dime is that according to tenants rights, for the tenant to have a chance at winning, they must be caught up on rent.
True, if they had a way to enforce anything... which I don't believe they do. "Throwing good money after bad" is a saying that comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 12:07 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Sure hope you documented the conditions with plenty of digital photos......

Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The problem with not paying them one thin dime is that according to tenants rights, for the tenant to have a chance at winning, they must be caught up on rent.

I'd be willing to bet that this out-of-state landlord isn't willing to spend a great deal of money pursuing the issue.

And, if the tenant is renting a house, it must be habitable (and this one seems to be not be).

If the place was misrepresented (as it appears to be) the last thing that landlord would ever want would be the for the town code enforcement officer to pay a little visit.

From the sounds of the place, this isn't a situation where a responsible landlord is renting to a tenant.

Each situation is different - this I know. I know many landlords who've definitely gotten the dirty end of the stick, but judging by the reply to the letter, this one doesn't really seem to care about much beyond getting the $300 deposited in his/her account IMO.

Either way, I'd find another place and move as soon as is I was able to. It sounds like even if this was ironed out, you'll be in for more misery down the road.

Good luck.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:19 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
The clock could be ticking and you could come home to find a foreclosure notice stapled to the front door. At that point you don't have much to stand on. It's a simple thing to find out if a property has any liens on it.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:07 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I'd be willing to bet that this out-of-state landlord isn't willing to spend a great deal of money pursuing the issue.

And, if the tenant is renting a house, it must be habitable (and this one seems to be not be).

If the place was misrepresented (as it appears to be) the last thing that landlord would ever want would be the for the town code enforcement officer to pay a little visit.

From the sounds of the place, this isn't a situation where a responsible landlord is renting to a tenant.

Each situation is different - this I know. I know many landlords who've definitely gotten the dirty end of the stick, but judging by the reply to the letter, this one doesn't really seem to care about much beyond getting the $300 deposited in his/her account IMO.

Either way, I'd find another place and move as soon as is I was able to. It sounds like even if this was ironed out, you'll be in for more misery down the road.

Good luck.
I understand that and I agree, they probably don't want to put a lot of money in to this but they can, if they wanted to, trash her credit record.

As I stated in a previous post to her, providing links, section 4 of that last link did discuss "habitable", (as I pointed out), but, if you read further, it states that you MUST be paid up on rent regardless.

Granted, a lawyer is the BEST person to go to for interpretations and scenarios and I truly hope the OP has done that.

I also agree, even IF this did get "worked out", I don't see this landlord apologizing and trying to make it up to these tenants. I see them being a big old pain in the hind quarters for the duration of their time there, hence why I suggest, just get out. But document EVERY thing before they do that.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:04 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Yes, documenting everything goes without saying.

I guess I'm missing something. Did the OP pay a security deposit or not?

I would consider that deposit going toward any rent due. The deal was that 2 weeks rent for December would be deducted correct? What was the security deposit amount - the whole rent?

Either way, I'd get the heck out before you end up held liable for someone else's damage (which is entirely possible given the behavior of the landlord in this case IMO) but not before I called the code enforcement officer of the town. It sounds like the place needs to be condemned.

"I'm not happy about giving a security deposit for this place. We agreed to pay rent for December on the 1st before we actually saw the place. The owners seem PO-ed that we were upset over the condition of the place. We asked them to disregard rent for December, expecting the security should go toward it, as I can't imagine someone asking for a security deposit for this place. They're refusing to consider it & refuse to fix anything until we give them money."

I really hope this works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine