Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 PM

346 posts, read 383,161 times

Advertisements

What is Lubec like in late July. What is there to do in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:23 AM

161 posts, read 418,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
What is Lubec like in late July. What is there to do in the area.
Lubec is beautiful in late July. Never overly hot but certainly not cold. expect temperatures during the day in the mid to high 70's. There are some days where it gets hotter in town and in that case head to West Quoddy Head and the temperature will drop dramatically.

There is plenty to do in Lubec and the surrounding area. Hiking trails are abundant, kayaking is great, fishing and whale watching are also options. ou can go play golf across the bridge at Campobello Island and while there visit the Roosevelt Cottage (mansion-like indeed). Visit the area lighthouses (west Quoddy Head, Lubec Channel, Mulholland and East Quoddy Head). take lots of photographs. Go scuba diving! Catch a concert at Summer Keys. Catch one of the local theater group performances. Go out and have a lobster dinner. Sit around and just relax on the beach.

Tell me what you enjoy doing and I'll steer you to it.

Alan

Old 05-04-2009, 06:33 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,967 times
Lucec is a beautiful little town. The views in Lubec are hard to beat anywhere in Maine. I have a house across the bay in Eastport and can see the bridge connecting Lubec to Campobello from up the street.

Lots of exploring to do. Make sure you drive out North and South Lubec roads. You might want to make a run down to Cutler from Quoddy Head. Nice people in Lubec too! We have friends who have a home on North Lubec road. What a view they have from their back deck.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 PM

393 posts, read 981,677 times
We had an absolutely fantastic summer staying a week at Cobscook Bay State Park several years ago. Nesting eagles abound there, right at the campsites. As noted above Campabello Island is interesting, but just going around Bay of Fundy is amazing - the tides are extreme and it's really interesting! Another plus: the mosquitoes are fewer up there in general. Oh, and there are some great places to buy fresh farmed salmon. Basically saw them swimming in an enclosed netted area off the Bay... the lady said "Which one do you want?" Came back from our hike and it was ready for grilling - she even cleaned it for us.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,253 times
Don't forget about the water taxi service to pop back and forth to Eastport!

Old 07-03-2009, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,114 times
Default Living In Lubec

What's it like living in Lubec?? Like cost of living, schools, shopping, etc? The Lubec area is breath taking. Looks like a lot of "outdoor" stuff to do. I have 3 younger kids between 7 and 13 who love to be in the outdoors kayaking, biking, hiking, etc. I'm possibly thinking of relocating from Florida. I am a born and bred New Englander living the past 15 years in FL. Thanks

Old 07-04-2009, 04:59 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
You have to be carefull kayaking around Lubec in Cobscook Bay. The current froom the 23 foot tide in Lubec Narrows can shoot you halfway to Greenland before you slow down. There are lots of lakes and rivers for kayaking around here though. Great areas to hike both near and within a few hours.

I think the school is going. Consolodated with Machias?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:54 PM
swg

18 posts, read 57,412 times
Is the school going? I hadn't heard that, but it wouldn't be surprising. They only had, what, like 11 people in the graduating class last year?

Lubec is beautiful. It would probably be a very different life than what you're used to in almost any other area, though. Cost of living isn't high. Shopping in the area is kind of scarce. There is a grocery store right in town, and two convenience stores. Seafood markets, restaurants, chocolate shops, a bar, gift shops. It really is a nice, quiet area, with a lot of outdoors stuff to see and do. If you're seriously considering moving to the area I'd strongly suggest visiting the town for a few weeks, because it could feel very isolated compared to what you're used to.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:56 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,250 times
Lubec is a simple town. You have to drive to get alot of different things too.

Simple~ and it's a great place to take your sister in law to show her the seals.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,581 times
I remember visiting a friend a few years ago (too many) in June and it was cold. He said I should have known better, having lived there for a couple years and should have come in July instead.

And Peachie, the only seals I remember seeing up there are the ones we had to break to open a bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine