Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Well, stopping is a bad idea on the ramps, unless you like getting rear ended. You're supposed to be picking up speed down the ramp to match the speed of traffic and fit yourself into the gap. You only have to "yield" if there is a conflict between you and someone else. If you fit in the gap without making the other driver touch his brakes, there is no conflict. The whole point of the Interstate system is to keep traffic as free flowing as possible. One of the best things Eisenhower did for the country, in my opinion.
True, but a lot of people ignore the fact that if a gap is not available that they do, in fact, have the responsibility to yield to the traffic already in motion. Just come off the on-ramp at full speed and FORCE their way into traffic. That's equally as wrong as the folks that come to a full stop, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:24 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
You know you're from Maine ... if you know what a "DeLorme" is and have one in each of your vehicles and on the floor beside your easy chair.
... if you keep an emergency kit in your trunk that includes a hatchet, a full socket set, an 8x10 blue tarp, and two rolls of duct tape.
... if you keep a snow shovel in the trunk year-round.
... if you've ever gone to a wedding reception that had a cake made from whoopie pies.
... if you think Moxie is the perfect mixer for Seagram's Seven.

I used to have a Delorme, and still have one, but am more than likely to use the GPS unit.

I generally don't keep a snow shovel in the car since I'm retired and down go anywhere when it snows, but if I have to, I have an all wheel drive V8 Ford Explorer which trucks right through a foot of snow like its dry pavement.

I really don't like whoopie pies, and am too old to go to weddings anymore. They generally don't have any kind of pie or cake at funerals.

Just because you are a Mainer doesn't mean you have "LIKE" Moxie. Besides, I'm a scotch or dark beer drinker. I don't mix them. And I drink single malt scotch "straight".

Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
I can check off a lot of these, but I'll always be "from away"......................
I've been told the same. LOL

Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I used to have a Delorme, and still have one, but am more than likely to use the GPS unit.
Well, you see, there's your problem. The beauty of having and using a DeLorme is that you get to choose roads and routes that aren't necessarily the most direct, or you can find places that you'd like to visit bt never knew existed.
Quote:
I generally don't keep a snow shovel in the car since I'm retired and down go anywhere when it snows, but if I have to, I have an all wheel drive V8 Ford Explorer which trucks right through a foot of snow like its dry pavement.

I really don't like whoopie pies, and am too old to go to weddings anymore. They generally don't have any kind of pie or cake at funerals.

Just because you are a Mainer doesn't mean you have "LIKE" Moxie. Besides, I'm a scotch or dark beer drinker. I don't mix them. And I drink single malt scotch "straight".
Sigh. Just no sense of fun this morning, eh?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
This is "you know you're from Maine if..." not "you have to like everything on this list because you're from Maine. Now isn't that more fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post

Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Rotary aka round abouts aka traffic circles
OK we have one of those in our town. Different demographics different lingo. (Yes it's a pain in the arse here too unless you're riding your bike at midnight and there's no traffic.)

Old 08-10-2012, 11:32 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
This is "you know you're from Maine if..." not "you have to like everything on this list because you're from Maine. Now isn't that more fun?
"You know you're from Maine if..." you have to explain Downeast humor is not to be taken literally.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Well, you see, there's your problem. The beauty of having and using a DeLorme is that you get to choose roads and routes that aren't necessarily the most direct, or you can find places that you'd like to visit bt never knew existed.

Sigh. Just no sense of fun this morning, eh?

Oh... you have to have the Delorme. Anybody ever try to follow your GPS's direction without a map nearb y. My GPS, Karen, can be a real idiot when it comes to the correct moves.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Maybe....

Old 08-10-2012, 03:44 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
You know you're from Maine ... if you know what a "DeLorme" is and have one in each of your vehicles and on the floor beside your easy chair.
... if you keep an emergency kit in your trunk that includes a hatchet, a full socket set, an 8x10 blue tarp, and two rolls of duct tape.
... if you keep a snow shovel in the trunk year-round.
... if you've ever gone to a wedding reception that had a cake made from whoopie pies.
... if you think Moxie is the perfect mixer for Seagram's Seven.
Check (and don't forget a candle and a box of 'strike anywhere' kitchen matches)
Check
Check
Gag. Seagram's 7 ruins the flavor of anything it is mixed with (with the possible exception of the stuff from a cesspool).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine