Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:16 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times

Advertisements

I saw on the news yesterday that the University of Maine Augusta is not allowing anyone to smoke on the school property, inside or out. You may smoke in a car if the windows are "UP". If anyone is found breaking these rules they will be fined or made to do community service. IMO this is big brother being carried to an extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 03:27 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Is there a school in Maine that is friendly to smokers?

Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
Hospitals have the same rule for their entire "campus." At Mid Coast Hospital in Brunswick there is a sign on the entrance road informing visitors that the entire grounds are a no-smoking area. The schools in Bath have had "no-smoking on the grounds" policies for years.

Not being a fan of slow suicide myself, I'm not concerned.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
I think the way it's going, they ought to just ban tobacco altogether, but oh wait! The economy will collapse at the tax loss.

I think it goes overboard. I think there's nothing wrong with providing a place where smokers can go to smoke - far away from nonsmokers.

It's not that difficult. Really.

Next up should be the right for non-perfume wearers to be able to hose off (preferably with a hose borrowed from the local fire department) those who insist on bathing in a vat of it before going out in public.

All's fair dontcha know.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
what about the medicinal pot smokers?

Old 01-20-2013, 04:20 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
what about the medicinal pot smokers?

I think at that age, they are more 'recreational' pot smokers. Just sayin'

I think if they are going to ban anything at all in college it ought to be alcohol. Yeesh...the PITA stories...

Last edited by cebdark; 01-20-2013 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: added

Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Interesting to me how they can't smoke "anywhere" on campus but at UMO there is a "Bar" set off in one corner the Student Union where those over 21 may drink. Driving after drinking hurts others many times.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:40 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Interesting to me how they can't smoke "anywhere" on campus but at UMO there is a "Bar" set off in one corner the Student Union where those over 21 may drink. Driving after drinking hurts others many times.

I was wondering if the Bears Den was still there. Thanks.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
I'll say it up front--I'm not a smoker. What about the bars who built on smoking rooms and smoking is still not allowed. At the risk of devulging my age (lol), my high school had an outside smoking area for students.

Did prohibition work? Has banning anything ever worked/stopped it? Surely there are enough smokers and nonsmokers to have separate bars for both then everyone could be happier. What's that other law? No smoking in your car if there's a child under the age of 10.

Drinking and driving is a bad decision--the alcohol isn't the one who chose to drink and drive.

Let's include seat belts while we're on a roll here. Why should the government be forcing people to wear those?

On the Colorado forum, they were talking about the smell of MJ while walking on the streets of some town. What did they think was going to happen?

Some schools ban college freshman from having cars on campus.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I attended a meeting a few weeks ago, at a residence on the UM-Orono campus. The residents were drawing up a landscape plan and had invited me to assist. Their residence shares a wall with an office building. On the plan, on the back side of the building I saw a picnic bench near the fire escape door of the office building.

When I see a picnic bench next to the backdoor of an office, I immediately assume that is the 'designated smoking' area. So I said as much and that you do not want to move any office's 'designated smoking' area without first getting a rubber stamp from the office workers.

The others at this meeting looked at me like I had a third eye in my forehead and antenna sprouting. It seems that the entire campus is smoke free. Including their residence, the office building, parking lot and all grounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine