Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:07 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,663 times

Advertisements

What do you think about this law?

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/11/2...straint-rules/

Some school officials say Maine student restraint law isn't working | The Forecaster

Maine teachers say new restraint rule leads to assaults by students | The Kennebec Journal, Augusta, ME

Maine teachers say new restraint rule leads to assaults by students | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Maine restraint law puts schools in bind | Sun Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 04:50 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,865 times
I don't think teachers should be forced into these roles, personally. A teachers job should be to educate and nourish minds, not to restrain. Restraint should be taught by parents not executed by teachers. At the risk of sounding like an old man, when we were in school in the 60s there was respect for authority. You may have muttered under your breath or to your friends in private but when a teacher told you to behave, you did. Because you knew that your parents would find out about your transgressions before you made it out the door at 3. Now, parents don't have the time and sometimes the inclination to discipline and it is left to the teachers. My wife (and myself once or twice) was told by a few parents that they sent their kids to school to be babysat. You couldn't get it across to them that discipline is their job and educating them is the teachers job. Teachers should not need to restrain kids.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:15 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I don't think teachers should be forced into these roles, personally. A teachers job should be to educate and nourish minds, not to restrain. Restraint should be taught by parents not executed by teachers. At the risk of sounding like an old man, when we were in school in the 60s there was respect for authority. You may have muttered under your breath or to your friends in private but when a teacher told you to behave, you did. Because you knew that your parents would find out about your transgressions before you made it out the door at 3. Now, parents don't have the time and sometimes the inclination to discipline and it is left to the teachers. My wife (and myself once or twice) was told by a few parents that they sent their kids to school to be babysat. You couldn't get it across to them that discipline is their job and educating them is the teachers job. Teachers should not need to restrain kids.
But you forget, that kids have the RIGHT to an education. So, it doesn't really matter what the parents do, they still have a RIGHT to come to school.

When you see bad kids, you know there are probably bad parents in the background. Lots of research here (which I'm not going to go into), but the loss of our culture is behind the breakdown in the schools.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,630,522 times
No one has the right to be violent and harm another person. If teachers aren't allowed to defend themselves and other kids from violence, the violent kids should be expelled, or moved into 'special' classes that have different rules and multiple teachers.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
No one has the right to be violent and harm another person. If teachers aren't allowed to defend themselves and other kids from violence, the violent kids should be expelled, or moved into 'special' classes that have different rules and multiple teachers.
Having been on a school board, ever tried to expel a kid? Oh, they are all disabled now. They have a RIGHT to treatment. They have a RIGHT to be mainstreamed. They have a RIGHT.................................

Old 12-02-2012, 09:49 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
What do you think about this law?

MEA:
Quote:
In one case, an educational technician was scratched, bitten and thrown against a wall, according to a press release Monday from the Maine Education Association. The ed tech reportedly did not touch the child, but rather suffered the injury for fear of breaking new restraint rules put in place this year.
God bless educators and many of them deserve combat pay, because this could not be ME.

When I was growing up it never once occurred to me to put my hands on a teacher. You rarely heard of this happening and if it did, the kid was expelled. My, my how times have changed.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:20 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Having been on a school board, ever tried to expel a kid? Oh, they are all disabled now. They have a RIGHT to treatment. They have a RIGHT to be mainstreamed. They have a RIGHT.................................
I feel for you guys, I really do. I do not believe that mentally unbalanced kids should be schooled with "normal" kids. They should have their own classes or half of the school for teachers TRAINED to deal with them.

It really is true that one rotten apple will spoil it for all the others. Emotionally unstable kids need extra attention and can't be quiet to save their lives. It's not their fault and I understand that, but the fact still remains that they are "different". Medicating doesn't help.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:46 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,630,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Understood, but these are all laws passed by people, they can be changed (with great difficulty I don't doubt). Teachers and students who just want to learn shouldn't be subjected to violence.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,663 times
Quote:
Understood, but these are all laws passed by people, they can be changed (with great difficulty I don't doubt). Teachers and students who just want to learn shouldn't be subjected to violence.
I'm wondering if the people who passed the law or promoted the passing of the law (concensus-based rulermakers) have ever worked in a classroom. I think it's wrong for the vast majority of well-behaved students to have to miss out on learning because of a minority of those with out-of-control, off the wall misbehavior even if it's caused by genetics....and teachers or ed techs under physical attack?! Is this acceptable in any teaching/learning environment?

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 12-02-2012 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
No, these are rulings by activist judges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine