Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,705,083 times

Advertisements

An insurance group says we are among the best drivers in the nation. This confirms an observation I made when I was working in Canada. When I had Maine plates on my company Explorer I got cut off all the time in Quebec. The next Explorer was leased and had a Massachusetts plate. Quebec drivers gave me a wide berth. I expect they thought I drove like they did. Having driven in Quebec City and Boston I think this theory has merit.

Insurance website claims Maine drivers among best | The Kennebec Journal, Augusta, ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 06:57 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,204,126 times
All I know is that when I moved from Brunswick, GA to Caribou, ME, my insurance rates went up. So if you believe that how much you pay for insurance has ANYTHING to do with driving, what you read is hard to understand.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,323,830 times
My insurance rate from Lancaster County PA to BH has gone down $200 a year. It depends on things I don't understand.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 AM

827 posts, read 1,673,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
An insurance group says we are among the best drivers in the nation. This confirms an observation I made when I was working in Canada. When I had Maine plates on my company Explorer I got cut off all the time in Quebec. The next Explorer was leased and had a Massachusetts plate. Quebec drivers gave me a wide berth. I expect they thought I drove like they did. Having driven in Quebec City and Boston I think this theory has merit.

Insurance website claims Maine drivers among best | The Kennebec Journal, Augusta, ME

Off topic a bit. I worked security ina camoground in Southern Maine a while back We had a gentleman fro Quebec say he'd like to see Q suceed from Canada and join the US. He said "We could be another Boston." My reply "Oh PLEASE, we have enough problems as it is." He looked at me dumbfounded.

I'll tell ya AFTER seeing how they drive in So Carolina, AND Texas, and in between, I have to agree MOST Maine drivers are better

Old 12-01-2011, 04:11 AM

885 posts, read 1,496,693 times
My rates went down by almost half from california. The two pet peeves I have about maine drivers is.....if the speed limit is 50, why drive only 40? Also many mainers drive slow until you get a chance to pass, then they speed up....I don't get it.....

Old 12-01-2011, 04:39 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
My rates went down by almost half from california. The two pet peeves I have about maine drivers is.....if the speed limit is 50, why drive only 40? Also many mainers drive slow until you get a chance to pass, then they speed up....I don't get it.....
this is a pet peeve of mine too, very frustrating,
usually one of three categories do this-

a retired person, that just wont pull over- in no hurry

or

a volvo or mini-van with an Obama bumper sticker

or

someone, who just doesnt care, doesnt care that they are going slower than speed limit, and the car behind them will be passing when they can, putting both cars at higher risk

I drive over 800 miles per week (not a truck driver) all over maine, and slow drivers that wont pull over, is one of the highest risk drivers on the road
(if they arent in no hurry-THEN PULL OVER!!)

Old 12-01-2011, 06:48 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,204,126 times
Quote:
... The two pet peeves I have about maine drivers is.....if the speed limit is 50, why drive only 40? Also many mainers drive slow until you get a chance to pass, then they speed up....I don't get it.....
I think most of this is age. Maine is one of the oldest states in the country (if not the oldest) and that becomes very apparent when driving. When you go into a store and stand behind an elderly person at check-out that can't count their own change, then follow them out to the parking lot to see them start up their car, it's an eye opener.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:32 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,229,124 times
I've always wondered why many Maine drivers think their directional symbols are optional (including police cars) and believe that drivers already on an Interstate should pull into the left lane to let them on without yielding. Other than that, I agree it's a pretty safe state to drive in.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:33 PM

134 posts, read 243,411 times
Quote:
The two pet peeves I have about maine drivers is.....if the speed limit is 50, why drive only 40? Also many mainers drive slow until you get a chance to pass, then they speed up....I don't get it.....
Agreeing with this.

I was told it was 'just the tourists' but tourism season is over, and I see plenty of Maine plates on the 302 tooling along 10 or 15 under the posted speed limit, and it isn't just the elderly. Very frustrating, especially when there is traffic and you can't pass.

The really odd thing I've noticed, is that if the speed limit drops, these people will slow down immediately, but when the speed raises again, they can drive by 3 or 4 (higher) speed limit signs and not bump the speed up at all. Almost as if the "you can speed up now" signs are invisible. It is a mystery...

Old 12-01-2011, 01:47 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,323,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

a volvo or mini-van with an Obama bumper sticker
The others I understand. This one I have trouble with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine