Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 02:44 PM

346 posts, read 786,584 times

Advertisements

Maine may be chosen for missile defense system site | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

While officials did not name locations Friday, two sites recommended in a report last year were northern Maine – the Caribou area in particular
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 04:32 PM

151 posts, read 199,288 times
And these missiles located in Maine will be able to intercept and detonate nuclear warheads over what country? seems they would not want nuclear weapons exploding over Maine, soooo it sounds like they may be exploded over your neighbours to the North, am I reading this right? although I assume the DEW line and Mid-Canada line was to have the weapons detonated over Canada.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatans View Post
And these missiles located in Maine will be able to intercept and detonate nuclear warheads over what country? seems they would not want nuclear weapons exploding over Maine, soooo it sounds like they may be exploded over your neighbours to the North, am I reading this right? although I assume the DEW line and Mid-Canada line was to have the weapons detonated over Canada.
the north korean nut-job is threatening to nuke the west coast and/or the east coast

Old 03-16-2013, 05:48 PM

468 posts, read 758,927 times
I knew sooner or later the US would regret closing Loring.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
Well, there is an old Nike Missile site up near Caribou. Maybe the feds still own it. Then there is Loring, Dow Field, Brunswick and Pease.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:18 PM

346 posts, read 786,584 times
Northern Maine
Surface Structures:

• 17 gorgeous acres surrounded by farmland. Located in Limestone, Maine, close to New Brunswick (Canadian border).
• Original high security barbed wire chain link fence remains in-tact.
• Property has original well with newer pump, water lines (to barracks, house and shop) & pump house.
• Surface buildings (barracks, missile assembly area, generator building) are in good condition with rubber roofs and include insulation, heat, power and working bathrooms. Barracks building converted into a 3-bedroom apartment.
• Additional building constructed offers an immediately livable home with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath.
• Current owners have lived on the property for almost 20 years and have landscaped the property, planted trees and fruit orchards, gardens shrubs and hedges.
• The nearby town removes snow from the 500 ft. driveway from main road to gate.
• Property has a clean environmental report from Army Corps of Engineers, many original blueprints are available.
• The possibilities with this site are endless.
Nike Missile Base, Indiana

Last edited by ClownShoes; 03-16-2013 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,773 times
I thought they were cutting the military budget??

Old 03-17-2013, 01:21 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
It takes a lot of highly developed technology to make a missile fly that far and be accurate. I spent a long career on missile launch platforms, working on the systems required for such a payload delivery.

I understand that NK has been developing their warheads. But they are a tiny nation and far removed from US soil.

Early-warning launch-detection satellites are good stuff and can be very effective for alerting us to in-coming missiles.

It would not hurt to have anti-missile capabilities at each perimeter quadrant of American soil [N.E., S.E., N.W., S.W.]. N.E. is but only one quadrant from which a missile attack could be incoming from. To lock into the mindset of only having anti-missile capabilities in the N.E. and N.W. quadrants, is assuming a polar-cap missile-trajectory, and no other.

When a small nuclear power [without proven long-range delivery capability] considers threatening the USA, I would want us to avoid staying inside the polar-cap missile-trajectory mind-set.

A dozen trawlers or tankers, cruise ships or cargo ships; each with a nuclear device built into it's keel; each flying a flag from a different country. Could very easily moor in each of our harbors.

Because we allow ourselves to build a mentality whereby we stay inside a box; that opens the door for other avenues of attack.

We all knew that the 911 attack was coming. Our military was at it's highest threat posture. We knew that some form of attacks was coming, every US military base had been hardening itself for months in anticipation. We knew something was coming. Dozens of scenarios were played out in table-top 'games' to devise what our best preparedness stance would be. Nobody was surprised that the WTO was attacked on 911. The surprise was the method of attack.

We built mental boxes for ourselves, and that was our undoing.

Box-cutters and commercial airline flights, was a combination that the brass did not consider. It was outside of the box.

I am in favor of military bases in Maine. IMHO, it would be good for Maine to have a strong economy. I understand that many Mainers will fight any effort that might cause Maine to have a strong economy. After living here for only a few years, I get it. Many Mainers will fight to their starvation their right to be unemployed.

In building new bases to replace old closed bases, lets not allow ourselves to build mental boxes that themselves will leave us blind-sided.

Then again, what do I know, I am only an old retired submariner who lives in a forest with bees.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:54 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Has a successful missile defense system ever been developed? Last time I looked into this at all, a lot of money had been spent to develop missiles that might detonate within a few dozen miles of their intended target. In other words, they were useless.

Any missile defense system in Maine will not be for defending against North Korea. North Korea's missiles can barely hit South Korea with any accuracy. Missile defense in Maine would likely be to defend against Russia, China, or missiles launched from Atlantic ships --- which again, would most likely be Russian or Chinese.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,146 times
I remember looking at a long dormant missle site just east of Cookstown Nj in the early 90's. The silos were kept up eveen thought they were empty for quite a long time; fresh yellow paint inside, manuals in hermetically sealed plastic. I imagoine the same wqould hold true for the site north and east of Loring. Uneasiness over other countries does not come from paranoia on the militaries part most often. Usually, they know something not in the main stream when they decide things like this. Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine