Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:08 PM

346 posts, read 786,584 times

Advertisements

Well everyone I checked out my new property in Prentiss and except for a few rainy days everything was great.

I'm trying to find out what the process is, so I can put up a house sometime down the road. I spoke to one person who mentioned that I'll need to get the soil tested ( I'm guessing that's for a septic? ). He also mentioned is my land in tree growth. There are trees there naturally, and they are growing... is there something I missed?

I'd like to be able to look at some modular homes, but I couldn't find any dealers when I was up last week that have model homes on their lot. Photos in brochures don't do it for me or my wife.

Unfortunately there aren't any signs along the highways so I'm having a hard time locating dealers right now. I'm checked out the web ( after I returned to NJ ) and the prices varied from the mid 40's to 120 grand for a small ranch.

Here's an idea of what I'm in the market for:

My truck is 11 years old, and the spare car is 20. With that in mind, I'm not a high end person who likes or needs to live large. A nice modular ranch with 2 or 3 bedrooms for company who comes up from NJ. 2 bathrooms would be nice.

I guess the bottom line is:

What steps do I have to do to begin the process.

Are permits needed in an unorganized township?

Where can I locate several modular home dealers with several model homes to look at.

I'll be heading back up in July, to do some more looking around the area.

I guess that's all I can think of right now.

Thanks in advance,

Clown Shoes~!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:04 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Contact NMLM. If he sold you the land, he would have all the answers for you!

Old 06-05-2008, 04:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
I'll PM Clownshoes with answers to all his specific questions. There is already a soil test on his land for a 3 bedroom home. For everybody else, you need a building permit anywhere in Maine to build a permanent structure of any kind from a wood shed to a grand hotel.

I'll send him a list of reputable modular home dealers in his area along with a list of site prep guys, foundation guys, well drillers and electricians. Depending on what he buys for a modular he may need a heating guy too. I think a pellet stove is the way to go with a monitor for a backup for when he is not here.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:11 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
Kinda like The Lone Ranger,.... NMLM rides in to save the day.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:29 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
I live in Penobscot county in an unorganized township.

I have a building permit, and I am in the process of building our home.

If you need any other ideas, just ask

Old 02-23-2018, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,154 times
My husband and I are looking for land in Prentiss Maine. I am unsure if I need a building permit. I am looking to build a 1000 sq ft home for off the grid living. Do you know what the cost would be for a permit?

Old 02-23-2018, 12:52 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbaby13901 View Post
My husband and I are looking for land in Prentiss Maine. I am unsure if I need a building permit. I am looking to build a 1000 sq ft home for off the grid living. Do you know what the cost would be for a permit?
Contact the town office to find out what you need to do.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:56 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbaby13901 View Post
Prentiss is an Unorganized Township, so the permit goes through LUPC.

LUPC Most Common Application Forms

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/lupc/appli...P_App_2016.pdf

The fee schedule is:
Quote:
APPLICATION FEE (nonrefundable). Submit a check or money order payable to “Treasurer, State of Maine” for the appropriate fee:
Residential Use and Campsites: Base Fee of $50 plus $0.20 per square foot (footprint) of structures, $1,000 maximum fee:
Home Occupations: Base Fee of $200 plus $0.40 per square foot (footprint), of structures;

Old 02-23-2018, 03:43 PM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
If you want to save on monthly bills, I am with Northern Maine Land Man that a pellet stove is really nice for a heating system. They are easier to feed, more efficient, better regulated and generate less ash and creosote per BTU than a traditional wood stove, and both are less expensive to operate than alternatives like oil, propane or conventional electric heat.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:07 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
There are towns that welcome newcomers. In our town a building permit is $5. Build what you want. One lady built a straw bale house. There are no codes for straw bale houses. Nobody is going to tell you that you can't sleep in your home under construction until you get an occupancy permit. It's called freedom and there are still isolated pockets of it in Maine.

Six posts above here and a decade ago, I was "riding in to save the day". Still here, doing the same thing. BTW, clownshoes built a Quonset hut type barn and then a modular home where he first saw his property on snowshoes. He built a runway for the airplane too.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 02-28-2018 at 03:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: