Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:14 PM

106 posts, read 422,620 times

Advertisements

So my wife’s car was stolen this morning at 6:50 AM. We live in the area near Deering High School in Portland. She started her car before she left for work and was inside maybe 5 minutes before she realized it was gone. In addition she left her purse in the car and her credit cards were used. They were used 3 different cards to purchase cigarettes about an hour south of Portland.

Now we have to pay big time! When you replace a credit card it is a $ 50.00 fee, with 4 credit cards missing that’s 200.00!

The insurance company only pays 20.00 a day for a rental car for 20 days. They wont pay anything for 21 days because the car my turn up. The best rate I could find for a same day pick up is $ 27.50. So that’s at least 177.50, plus fees and taxes! For a rental I am looking at $ 215.00!

Now, the insurance company, they have a minimum deductible of $ 250.00. In addition to that the car was left unlocked with the key in it. The insurance company may call that negligence and not pay anything! Considering we still owe $ 11,000.00 on the car that is my biggest worry!

So the minimum this is going to cost me is $ 665.00! And that is if I am lucky and the insurance company pays 100% for the car.

So take a lesson for me. Even if its cold, you can’t leave your car running with the doors unlocked. So unless you have a remote car starter, don’t do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,887 times
Begs the question, why she didn't lock the running car

Old 01-28-2008, 12:25 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
I saw a car parked at a church in Lincoln. It backed out of the parking spot and the driver door opened. A little boy about 4 years old jumped out and tried to stop the car by pushing on the door. I stopped my truck and ran for the car. Another guy coming toward me also stopped and ran for the car. He dove over the boy and pressed his hand on the brake just as I reached the car and grabbed the boy. In the car was his little sister and the car was backing toward the river.

The mother came out and cussed us out. The young man and I just looked at each other, shook hands and went on our ways without a word.

(I should say that this was about 15 years ago, but it still gives me chills to think about it.)

Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Begs the question, why she didn't lock the running car
She would have locked her self out of the car. She could have done that and then ran and grabbed the spare set of keys and unlocked the car when she left. But the most important point is that this is Maine. This isn’t Chicago. Things like this don't happen often in Maine.

It is common for people to leave their car running with unlocked doors in the winter. When she woke me up to tell me I ran to my car hoping I find the guy. I noticed at least 6 other cars left running on my street alone.

I’m not asking for sympathy. I am just hoping to warn other Mainers. But I really don’t need any more comments like this. I was just dealt a possibly a financially crippling blow! I don’t need to hear about how dumb my wife and I are.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:44 PM

932 posts, read 1,274,299 times
I'm in NC and hubby and I do it ALL the time! Once (if you really want to hear how dumb I can be sometimes) I left the car running overnight. Car was still there in the morning. out of gas. but there.

We all do stupid things....

I'm surprised though that your credit card companies are charging you a fee- My wallet was stolen (okay, so I lost it) and got all of mine replaced for free...and they overnighted the new cards...

Old 01-28-2008, 12:47 PM

307 posts, read 1,589,872 times
Default sorry to hear that!

I am sory to hear that. We were victims of car theft here in North Carolina. Our car was in our driveway and we were asleep. Dog probably barked and we yelled to be quiet. I will tell you that we got the car back. Quite a while after when we thought it was a lost cause. I think it was a couple of weeks. I am hoping you'll be as lucky. Also, I can't remember the name of the car rental but when we were in Portland a few years ago we went to a local place (not chain) that sold cars and also rented them. It was really affordable. If I remember the name I'll post again.
Good luck!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:49 PM

874 posts, read 1,856,126 times
I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Thank you so much for the warning.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:52 PM

I don't even think she was that dumb for doing it. I mean it wasn't smart by any means. But in a Maine winter, it is very common.

The thing I am most stressed about is insurance company not paying out. But I can't say for sure what they will say so I can't stress out too much.

I have had my car broken into a my wallet stolen. I had to pay a fee to get my debit card replaced by visa. I am assuming the other credit cards will be the same.

but thanks for the support Mommie

Old 01-28-2008, 12:53 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,992 times
ocean, I'm sorry and I know you posted to warn others and we appreciate it. I left a key in my glove compartment in the car I owned in 1987 and it was stolen from my work parking lot on Forest Avenue in the Baxter Blvd. area of Portland.

I did the same thing you did, rented a car, started car shopping and 2 weeks later the thief was apprehended driving eratically around the West End of Portland. He had "moved in" to the car and I know I was extremely lucky.

I wish you the best and hope your warning will be heeded by others, it's not just a Southern Maine thing, cars are stolen everywhere.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:03 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanfit185 View Post
They were used 3 different cards to purchase cigarettes about an hour south of Portland.
I understand the frustration of the situation, and I am not trying to make light of it, but I feel compelled to comment that it seems a very Maine thing to do to steal a credit card and then use it to purchase cigarettes.

I do hope that it all works out with the insurance and that the culprits are caught and the car returned along with all valuables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine