Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:26 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
Nice photos!

I've checked out Realtor.Com, thanks.

Flies are an issue I've heard of but haven't given much thought to.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who gave me their input and advice.
I'll probably take a drive up right after Christmas and get a flavor for the winter atmosphere. Hopefull in early spring I'll be able to get up there for a week or so and start the big shopping adventure.

I've seen many acres for sale at a good price, and seen some 'waterfront' too. Let's hope I can make this work.

I've noticed several things with Maine realtors websites. Poor pictures, property sold and still left 'for sale' on sites, SOLD property still being shown on sites ( huh?? what are you thinking? ). Many sites designed by the same company with poor search options, and except for the Realtors name and photos the sites are the same.

VERY VAGUE descriptions when it comes to things the Out of State buyer should be made aware of right away. ( Do they think when someone spends big bucks they won't get upset when they can't do anything with their property? ) Or is this why land can still be found up there at an affordable price?

The pictures are taken by the REALTORS themselves, some are better photographers than others. These listings are updated to the Maine MLS and then added to the individual REALTOR sites, therefore the pictures will be the same on every website. Some owners make it very challenging to shoot internal pictures, as well. In our case, my photos are replaced after our videographer shoots the HomeMovie with stills from the HomeMovie. On a high end listing, we use an outside photographer to shoot the home and aerial shots, if appropriate.

I don't want to advertise, but my company's web site has virtually all of the properties listed on the MLS system in Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Massachusetts and we receive a nightly feed from the MLS system which will remove those that are under contract or withdrawn from the market.

There is very limited space to advertise a property's features, however there are internal remarks for REALTORS as well as disclosures, deeds, air and water quality tests, etc. posted as attachments. I also bring these to open houses that I host to hand out to the public. Seller's must disclose all material defects in their property (FSBOs too) and the buyer has the right to cancel a contract in the investigation period if something is unsatisfactory. It is up to the buyer (or Buyer's Agent) to research the property thoroughly before making a purchase, but if the seller knowingly withheld information about the property, there are grounds for mediation and/or litigation. If the listing and or buyer agent knew about these defects, they are also liable for disciplinary action from the commission. The bottom line is, no question is a stupid question, ask, ask and then ask some more.

Last edited by WhoFanMe; 12-17-2007 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 12:23 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
The pictures are taken by the REALTORS themselves, some are better photographers than others.
So it is your impression that every listing agent realtor has physically been at each property that they are listing?

Hmm.

I have spoken with listing agent realtors who have told me otherwise.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
So it is your impression that every listing agent realtor has physically been at each property that they are listing?

Hmm.

I have spoken with listing agent realtors who have told me otherwise.
I cant speak for others, forest. I can tell you that I cannot turn in a new listing without at least 6 (preferably 8) photos of the property. When I meet with a potential seller, I spend a few minutes meeting them at their house to see the property and also see if we can develop a working relationship. I also tour the home and take careful notes about the property and the neighborhood. At my second visit, I present my marketing plan and market analysis showing them similar houses that have sold recently and their competition along with a SUGGESTED range where I believe their property will attract the most buyer interest leading to a sale in a reasonable amount of time. Most sellers interview 2-3 competitors and choose the agent they feel can net them the most for their home and that they want to represent them. I have turned down many sellers who are not realistic in what their house will sell for, there is absolutely no use in carrying a listing that won't sell. There is always somebody who will tell a seller what they want to hear and not what they need to hear - those are the homes that stay on the market for an extended period - they are on the market, but they are not in the market.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:53 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,943 times
when I was looking at various houses each realtor had been to them. BUT, I was working with companies that seemed like mom/son .. etc.... and they would go out and take MORE pics to send me. I was very very impressed.

However, I can see how a realtor could do some listings with no personal visit. Some of these listings are VERY FAR from the realtors I spoke to and wanted to work with.

I could tell by talking to both of them that they had been INSIDE the properties in question. They were VERY honest mentioning condition of the carpet and decks and etc and what they would do if they were buying the house.

If I were a realtor listing property only I probably wouldn't look at every piece unless someone expressed interest. I might not look at a home until someone expressed interest. BUT, I would think that if you wanted to honestly discuss a home with someone you'd have to have a look. If you hadn't been inside your potential client would know right away.

It's too easy to ask a million questions and the client will know.

I will say that the difference between realtors in Tampa FL and in Maine that I have spoken to (with the exception of one who wasn't really
dishonest just tried to lead me to another lesser property) is night and day.

Santa Claus and Satan. LOL !!!!!

Quote:
I cant speak for others, forest. I can tell you that I cannot turn in a new listing without at least 6 (preferably 8) photos of the property. When I meet with a potential seller, I spend a few minutes meeting them at their house to see the property and also see if we can develop a working relationship. I also tour the home and take careful notes about the property and the neighborhood. At my second visit, I present my marketing plan and market analysis showing them similar houses that have sold recently and their competition along with a SUGGESTED range where I believe their property will attract the most buyer interest leading to a sale in a reasonable amount of time. Most sellers interview 2-3 competitors and choose the agent they feel can net them the most for their home and that they want to represent them. I have turned down many sellers who are not realistic in what their house will sell for, there is absolutely no use in carrying a listing that won't sell. There is always somebody who will tell a seller what they want to hear and not what they need to hear - those are the homes that stay on the market for an extended period - they are on the market, but they are not in the market.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:53 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
I cant speak for others, forest....
I do apologize, I misspoke.

Obviously the listing agent had been at the property, she had sunk her sign in the ground at the pavement.

I was standing behind the house, talking on my cellphone to the listing agent, trying to get a better understanding of what I was looking at. When she said that she had no idea of what all was on the land, as she had never been there.

Within the context of the situation, obviously she had 'been there', she just had no clue of where there was. Or else someone else from her office had been there to erect the sign.

I have no idea.

Please do accept my apology, for any confusion.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
when I was looking at various houses each realtor had been to them. BUT, I was working with companies that seemed like mom/son .. etc.... and they would go out and take MORE pics to send me. I was very very impressed.

However, I can see how a realtor could do some listings with no personal visit. Some of these listings are VERY FAR from the realtors I spoke to and wanted to work with.

I could tell by talking to both of them that they had been INSIDE the properties in question. They were VERY honest mentioning condition of the carpet and decks and etc and what they would do if they were buying the house.

If I were a realtor listing property only I probably wouldn't look at every piece unless someone expressed interest. I might not look at a home until someone expressed interest. BUT, I would think that if you wanted to honestly discuss a home with someone you'd have to have a look. If you hadn't been inside your potential client would know right away.

It's too easy to ask a million questions and the client will know.

I will say that the difference between realtors in Tampa FL and in Maine that I have spoken to (with the exception of one who wasn't really
dishonest just tried to lead me to another lesser property) is night and day.

Santa Claus and Satan. LOL !!!!!
If only real estate was that easy! I spend about 10 hours researching a property and it's competition before ever meeting with the seller. I spend 2-3 hours with the seller to try to show them why my company and me can get them the best possible price and the best possible terms, while effectively representing them in all of the details it takes to have a property change hands. Once I win the listing, I spend several hours setting up the marketing and showing schedule and then communicate at a minimum of once a week to discuss the market and make recommendations going forward. Once we have an offer, I coordinate the financing, the building inspection and re-negotiations and deed preparation, walk through and closing until the seller passes over the keys. To take a listing without thoroughly inspecting a property is asking for trouble. What if the seller was not properly disclosing a material defect in the home? When the buyer brings a complaint to the real estate commission, and the defense is, "I'm sorry, I didn't know the house had mold, abestos, hazardous material, etc. - I never saw the home," that agent will be looking for another line of work pretty darn quickly!

I'm really starting to think that there are some incredibly bad agents out there.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do apologize, I misspoke.

Obviously the listing agent had been at the property, she had sunk her sign in the ground at the pavement.

I was standing behind the house, talking on my cellphone to the listing agent, trying to get a better understanding of what I was looking at. When she said that she had no idea of what all was on the land, as she had never been there.

Within the context of the situation, obviously she had 'been there', she just had no clue of where there was. Or else someone else from her office had been there to erect the sign.

I have no idea.

Please do accept my apology, for any confusion.
Apology accepted. We use a sign company that digs very deep holes and erects the white "T" type sign. Those others that stick in the ground become target practice for snow plows.

Things must be different in your part of Maine, forest. Whenever I have a client who wants to walk land, not only am I there, but the listing agent usually insists on being there to to show us the boundaries, the abutting property, any water, wetlands, ledge, etc.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:53 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:

Things must be different in your part of Maine, forest. Whenever I have a client who wants to walk land, not only am I there, but the listing agent usually insists on being there to to show us the boundaries, the abutting property, any water, wetlands, ledge, etc.
An agent has never walked the land with me. Most of the time, the best I've got is a copy of the map with the lines and distances on it, and I pace it off to figure it out.

I think maybe you are an above-average agent?

Old 12-17-2007, 03:58 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,943 times
That was my EXACT experience with every realtor in maine i spoke with. They had intricate knowledge of the property.
It was surprising. Any time I've talked to a realtor locally it's like they're barely able to keep from yawning. They stand off to one side as they show you the house. With the exception of one fellow who pointed out so many flaws I felt certain he was working on his own financing for the house.

Maine realtors are heads above.

And some of them are WHOFANS. Which .. well, it can't get much better than that.

Quote:
If only real estate was that easy! I spend about 10 hours researching a property and it's competition before ever meeting with the seller. I spend 2-3 hours with the seller to try to show them why my company and me can get them the best possible price and the best possible terms, while effectively representing them in all of the details it takes to have a property change hands. Once I win the listing, I spend several hours setting up the marketing and showing schedule and then communicate at a minimum of once a week to discuss the market and make recommendations going forward. Once we have an offer, I coordinate the financing, the building inspection and re-negotiations and deed preparation, walk through and closing until the seller passes over the keys. To take a listing without thoroughly inspecting a property is asking for trouble. What if the seller was not properly disclosing a material defect in the home? When the buyer brings a complaint to the real estate commission, and the defense is, "I'm sorry, I didn't know the house had mold, abestos, hazardous material, etc. - I never saw the home," that agent will be looking for another line of work pretty darn quickly!

I'm really starting to think that there are some incredibly bad agents out there.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
An agent has never walked the land with me. Most of the time, the best I've got is a copy of the map with the lines and distances on it, and I pace it off to figure it out.

I think maybe you are an above-average agent?
Thanks, but no - I'm just doing the job I was hired to do by the clients that sign a buyer agency agreement with me. I will say there is a huge difference between a transaction broker (represents neither party), a buyer agent (represents the buyer), a listing broker (represents the seller), and a disclosed dual agent (represents both buyer and seller). I think a lot of the bad experiences on the board here are with agents not representing the buyer exclusively and I strongly recommend that anybody coming into an area that they have little or no knowledge of interview several different agents and pick one to represent them in a geographic area. It simplifies life for everybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine