Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:05 AM

80 posts, read 139,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
IHeartMaine, don't forget the $500 worth of tattoos. That's the one that always gets me.
"But but but poor people have the same right as every one else to have tattoos if they want one!!" Yep. I just don't want to pay for it.
Ding ding ding. We got a winner.

The reality is actually worse with a small segment. Some are smoking two packs a day each and have a thousand dollars worth of tattoos and jewelry. Meantime we are buying their food and (smoking) healthcare....probably their heating oil...and who knows what else.

Im at the point I will vote for anyone willing to stand up to this and trying to change it....and I will take the bad with the good if they make progress in the process. Its sickening.

For the handful of deserving folks hurt by the cleansing process their family,friends,neighbors,local churches,etc....will recognize the need for real help and they will be OK..and get that help...as it has always been.....but only after they are used as props in the news against cleansing the handouts by the non-deserving systematic takers. They protect their "rights" and distort the truth like no other. No help will be offered to those not trying to contribute to their own lives and future. Its way overdue and out of hand.

Geez...I must be getting older and cynical...because Im wicked pissed. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 08:22 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,204,612 times
Ahh, "cleansing." That's probably not a great road to head down. Me? I think government itself, including the hypocrites on the far right bathing in taxpayer dollars, needs to be reined in. The cost of the tattooed chain smokers is nothing compared to the thievery, waste and layabout attitude of our public employees. And I worked for the Feds. Corporate America did it eons ago with "downsizing", but what they did was give the person at the top millions and eliminated all the benefits, pay increases, etc. to the producers of the wealth. In today's scheme of economics, Management and capital steal all the wealth, while labor is left pissing in their pocket. How is it that a nurse with an MBA has a salary and benefits package approaching $1MM for acting as figurehead of EMMC? As to Government, why should I, pretty much self employed my whole life (short Federal stint 15 or so years ago), have to work until I'm 75 to support my contemporaries that have retired (46 year old retiree about 10 years ago from the City of Bangor, for example) at age 62 with income for life (a friend in State employ that's had a great job outdoors for a long time)? Then move on to an even MORE profitable private sector (city of Bangor employee into a six figure "security" position). They deserve whatever they can cabbage under the rules in place, but my supporting it? It ain't gonna happen. I won't contribute to that kind of largesse. What's unfortunate, is they all fervently believe they deserve it because of the "sacrifice" they made and how much more they could've made in the private sector - a complete fantasy replete with real world layoffs. Nope. Your boogie man don't hold a candle to mine.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:12 PM

No argument from me Mainiac. Bigger money issue for sure.

I think the thing for me in terms of agitation is I feel like theres a genuine desire by most and pressure to reduce the Govt salary/"positions" problems.

Meanwhile, The government assistance issue seems to have defenders everywhere in this state that dont just feel its right but they even want to expand it....not reduce it.
The frustration is you have to witness it all too often on a trip to the local store....but there are bigger issues in Govt...for sure.

Less Govt is more IMO....on EVERY level.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:18 PM

536 posts, read 845,867 times
I am thinking of Maine as a retirement option because I am so tired of the current Governor of Florida's war on poor people, including drug testing all welfare recipients. (I think out of hundreds of thousands, they turned up two.)

So I won't go to Maine if the war on the poor is waged actively there.

One of seven in FL is now serving time in jail, mostly on drug charges. The 'stand your ground' defendant from a year ago walks free.

Such things are signs of a diseased polity, and some states do better than FL. Most do. I am wondering about Maine these days. I can't be isolated in wanting to live in a community that is not out of touch with reallity.

If I am isolated, so be it, but I will seek a home where the community is in better working order and not spying on every person in said community to see if they have subsidized tatoos--while the people at the top are skimming the state for their own advancement.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:19 AM

Two wrongs dont make a right they say. Not sure what "stand your ground" has to do with it.
I support it BTW and have a concealed carry permit myself.

If you consider it "a war on the poor" to stop the increasing systematic abuse of state aid I guess we would agree to disagree. No problem there. Thats why they make chocolate AND vanilla but it has become a way of life here for some.

I have no problem with looking thoroughly under the hood of any long term assistance folks before continuing the checks and EBT cards. Its good business....which is probably why the state hasnt done it already....although the spotlight is getting slightly brighter. I have zero issue with short term help for those in need. Its critical.

I dont claim to be right but its what I feel. Your milage will likely vary.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:23 AM

536 posts, read 845,867 times
How does it save money to spend a fortune on mandatory drug testing only to find an infinitesimally small sample of drug users? There was no benefit in savings to balance the vast expenditure.

How does it save money to incarcerate recreational drug users? Prisons cost the states a lot of money.

How is it good for a community for people to know they can get away with murder?

My main "Maine" point: I want to live in a place that uses common sense about the expenditure of state money and isn't ruled by vindictive fantasies.

On guns, I can see that many people prefer to carry. Using that privilege to shoot unarmed people is not, in my view, justifiable.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:40 PM

41 posts, read 74,176 times
Testing isn't only to "find" people. It is also a deterrent.
They don't find many pilots testing positive for drugs, but they still go around and do random testing. It's not just the poor getting tested.
People who receive benefits or compensation are subject to all sorts of behavioral incentives. Drug testing is but one.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 AM

Wow. "How does recreational drug testing.... Etc" ? Howd we get there .

Truth is that many many Mainers real jobs that support their family require drug testing in order to get and keep their jobs.

Why shouldnt those getting state assistance be tested as well ? They have more rights than the worker paying for their assistance ?

Enjoy Disneyland.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:16 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
ladyalicemore,
You would just love Connecticut. They don't have a "stand your ground" law. In fact they just created 110,000 felons out of good honest taxpaying citizens.

You wouldn't like Maine where you can stop at a yard sale and buy a .357 Magnum and it's legal. You can strap it on and drive home. That's legal too. If you want to carry concealed, you need a permit, but Maine is a "shall issue" state. If you are not a felon or certifiably insane, you get your permit within 60 days.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,204,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastMark View Post
Wow. "How does recreational drug testing.... Etc" ? Howd we get there .

Truth is that many many Mainers real jobs that support their family require drug testing in order to get and keep their jobs.

Why shouldnt those getting state assistance be tested as well ? They have more rights than the worker paying for their assistance ?

Enjoy Disneyland.
That's not government intrusion. It's private business doing the testing. It always amazes me that the "Constitutional" drum beaters don't get it. Fine. Anyone receiving any government benefit or pay, including VA, politicians, police, FBI - anyone working for Government at any level - should be drug tested. But they won't. They'll only drug test those that can't argue over it. Personally, I could pass drug/alcohol tests day in and day out, but wouldn't submit to them, and I worked for the Feds, who wouldn't DARE attempt to test employees. It goes against my Constitutional view of the 4th Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine