Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 05:38 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

I would like to see less spending as well.

Otherwise I have no horse in this race, as I have not paid income taxes for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 05:59 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
why cant we reduce spending??

why cant we reduce government waste??
That makes too much sense to us but most government waste is a quid pro quo for a campaign contribution. Politicians put getting re-elected ahead of the good of the country.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:35 PM

45 posts, read 109,521 times
If they abolish state income taxes it'll put another 500 bucks in my pocket.. When my real estate taxes double my horse will have fallen and broken his leg. When I started Paying RE taxes in Mass my payment was $800 dollars.. The Last RE year I paid in mass was over $5500.... Same house. One of the reasons I came to Maine was I could actually afford the RE taxes.. I can feel the noose slipping over my head. They'll crank up the RE taxes and create all the across the board taxes they can. Later they'll find some reason to bring back the income tax even if it's only half of what it was. And we'll all have to take a big bite of this big brownie sandwich and swallow it. I Googeld this on the net and found that they were talking about this in 2012 and it went dormant.. It's back and there are politicians working on it right now. And one thing I learned by paying RE taxes in Mass is "Don't think it can't happen" I love my Country, But I fear my Government.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:49 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
I owned a condo in Auburn , a very nice condo but just a condo and the r.e. taxes were close to 7,000 yr
twice of what they first projected

we complained but we were complaining to the same people/jobs that were benefitting from the very same taxes

I have a house in a town , that 23 yrs ago the taxes on this house were 800, now they are 1100 , im not way out in the sticks, im 14 miles from the state capitol building

our town officials are conservative, they aren't lunatic spending liberals ....... they have kept spending in check

if I was in a neighboring town with similar services, taxes would be double ,,,
it makes a difference who you have benefitting from these taxes

Old 01-06-2015, 10:18 AM

234 posts, read 360,208 times
Lewiston and Auburn have very high taxes. Auburn is 2.095% and Lewiston is over 25% higher at 2.652%! Portland, on the other hand is only 2%.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:00 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
I spoke to my local Representative on Friday. Its his opinion, and that of another friend who used to be a State Senator, that the only reason this even came up again is because LePage put it into his inaugural speech. What he is shooting for is a more specific discussion of tax reform, and calling for an abashment of the income tax will bring out more discussion.

No one is making any plans for doing it, and the specifics for it happening are very very far away from implementation.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:08 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,397 times
Not to worry....the feds spend $141 for every $100 they take in.....what would happen to you if you did that at home? Sooner or later we'll be speaking Chinese.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:16 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
The Chinese are unloading our debt as fast as they can. They are buying rare earth mineral deposits, factories, forests and farmland. For example, they bought Smithfield foods, the largest pork producer in the world. Along with the huge pork processing factories they got about 480 huge farms here in the USA. The employees at those farms now work for Red China. I wonder how many average Americans know these things.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:03 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,712 times
And they'll own a 500' to 2000' wide 14,000 acre swath of Maine visible from space - just like the Great Wall of China - as soon as Cianbro gets its private, zero access toll highway built! Pete already said they'd be selling it. Amazing how "average americans" can be trained to recite mantras.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:28 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Hey, they elected Obama twice and anybody could have known all about him before he ran the first time. He wrote a book.

I went to Augusta and testified regarding the E/W highway study. Legislators wondered why people were so upset. I told them why. Back around 1930, the legislature gave Central Maine Power the right of eminent domain. They wanted to build a dam on the Dead River. They went with their armed guards to the villages of Long Falls, Dead River, Bigelow and Flagstaff and told the people to leave. They gave the property owners checks with a "take it or leave it offer". Many owners would not leave.When the water rose above the first floor of their homes they had to leave. The shoreline of the new lake was mapped out and all the trees were cut up to the shoreline. When the lake was flooded the lake level was 4 1/2 feet below the front steps of J. P. Morgan's hunting camp. Now the banker had a fishing camp too.

CMP never put in a hydro station at Flagstaff Lake. And that is why people in Maine are nervous about eminent domain. The law was never revoked. It is still on the books. Some legislators didn't believe it, but I had the book with me. The title is "The Lost Villages of Flagstaff Lake".

If you sit home and watch American Idol and don't watch your government, that's what you get, an idol and the loss of not only your property, but your very freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine