Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,584 times

Advertisements

Hi my names Matt, I am trying to find out exactly what I need to do and how I need to do it, I don't know if anybody will be able to help me but I'm gunna try, here's my situation! I recently dropped out of high school because I didn't have near enough credits to graduate, I would love to open a restaurant in maine, i just have no idea where to start, I know I need a business license but I have no idea how to get one, I have no idea what else I would need to do, if somebody could help me that would be amazing! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 12:42 PM

43 posts, read 74,720 times
1. Google "Maine Small Business Administration", in the Google results click on "Maine District Office", scroll down the page and click on "Obtaining Business Licenses and Permits". Or go by 68 Sewall St, Room 512, in Augusta or call 207-622-8551. There are many other resources SBA offers that you would find helpful.

2. Go back to school and get your diploma. You won't regret it.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:45 PM

266 posts, read 285,688 times
1. What do you know about running a restaurant.
2. Where's the money coming from.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:39 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
I have bad news for the OP. Grammie's is for sale. If Grammie's can't make it you can't open a competing business.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:26 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times
Most restaurants around here don't last long. At least the newly opened ones. Go back to school! Then maybe on to an apprenticeship or technical school.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:40 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I agree with the advice "Go Back to School". Finish HS and then go on to culinary school....or get a job in a kitchen of a good and popular restaurant....and learn your craft. Your opening words are the equivalent of saying...."I just dropped out of HS because I couldn't graduate and now I want to be an astronaut."

Opening a restaurant is an expensive proposition and there is a lot of talented and established competition in Maine.

If you have financial backing, and a concept, and talent cooking, and decorating, and public relations....you still will probably not make it. Not finishing HS....doesn't suggest competence, endurance and "stick to it-ness"......and you cant do your preparation on a chat thread. Restaurant work is one of the hardest possible endeavors.....the demands, the stress and the sheer hard work....and regulations, knowledge of food safety...liability etc are all considerations.

The other bit of advice...is if you do go forward and give it a try.....don't go to Portland area....it is over saturated with eateries.....very well established and famous restaurants--very few new restaurants make it .... the rents and competition are too high.

I hope you go back to school.....or at least apprentice somewhere before trying to "open a restaurant".

Old 01-23-2015, 05:51 AM

973 posts, read 2,382,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have bad news for the OP. Grammie's is for sale. If Grammie's can't make it you can't open a competing business.
Yeah, for 1.1 million. A couple years ago the owner was going to close the Linneus location and move up on the North Rd, but water and sewer didn't run up to the location he was looking at. I think Grammies is doing just fine, the owner just wants to cash out.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
You have to get funding from a bank. To do that you need a business plan and the bank has to believe that you are a trustworthy and possible success. It may be prejudice, but no bank will give money to someone who can't even get it together to finish high school, in a day and age when nearly everybody has a college degree, and the competition for even menial jobs requires a high level of education.

Get a GED then go to school and get a degree in Restaurant Management. Then work in a real restaurant as an assistant manager, and then a manager, and then go to a bank with your saved up money and a business plan.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:02 PM

77 posts, read 107,611 times
Some great advice here that I can only concur with. You will have to deal with a bank, and a bank will want to know that their money is in capable hands, meaning they want to know that you know what you're doing. Not having a HS diploma is the first red flag. It will be a constant red flag in your life no matter what business or job you pursue. Go back to school or get the GED, that should be your ONLY priority right now.

You'll need to show a bank what your business plan is. Do you know how to write a business plan for a restaurant? If not, you'll need to learn how, because without a business plan, no bank is going to lend you money.

Do you have experience in the business? If so, what? If no, go get a job in one. Have you handled money, have you taken inventory, do you know how to maintain food and beverage cost? Can you manage a staff? Do you have computer skills? Can you negotiate terms of a lease on a restaurant space? (A landlord will want similar assurances of capability that a bank will).

Running a restaurant is a risky and stressful thing. If the idea of owning your own place is a passion of yours, double check that passion by working in the business for at least 4 years. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you think it might make you look bad. If you don't ask questions, you don't learn.

But get the diploma first.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:17 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
What's the best way to have a million dollars owning a restaurant?

Start with two million dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine