Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:08 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,506,895 times

Advertisements

In another couple years, we are going to be short of help up here. We will be needing young people, ages 18 and up (older are OK also, if willing to work for about $10/hr) to work in agricultural situation, both with plants and livestock. The area covered will be roughly between Bangor and Howland, so let's say, central Maine (though some folks would classify this as "northern Maine"). We have the following question:

Are there younger folks, or of any age, willing to work 20 hrs/week, for $10. per hour? They would need to live in the area described above, and we'd need about 20 of them to start. Work would be year 'round. We have heard that many youngsters are leaving the state to find work elsewhere, so we just don't know.

Medical insurance not included. Hours can be flexible. No education required, but farm experience helpful. Before we make hard-core plans, we need to understand availability of help. Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 01:25 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,530,858 times
Not now, but 3 months before you are ready to begin hiring, I suggest that you post the positions on: MOFGA Discussion Forums

It is a forum for Mainers interested in farming.

Would you ever consider making these positions 'Apprenticeships' ?

Old 02-02-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Would you ever consider making these positions 'Apprenticeships' ?
Yes, I was going to mention that...what exactly would be involved in an apprenticeship?

Old 02-02-2015, 02:33 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,530,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yes, I was going to mention that...what exactly would be involved in an apprenticeship?
There are formal 'apprenticeships' through MOFGA. For those I suggest that you speak with MOFGA staff.
Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association > Programs > Farm Apprenticeships > Information for Prospective Host Farmers

Quote:
... Any Maine farmer, gardener, or homesteader committed to the principles of mentorship can participate in the Apprenticeship program. Farmers are not required to be certified organic or members of MOFGA to participate in the program. However, our experience indicates that the majority of apprentices are seeking training in the principles of organic agriculture, which limits the number of applicants to non-organic farms.
Quote:
... By participating in the Apprenticeship Program, you are therefore agreeing to be a mentor as well as a boss. This is an important responsibility that we hope that you will take seriously, but we recognize that it is not easy. Farming is a tough, exhausting and stressful job by itself. Being a good mentor in addition to being a good farmer is especially difficult. An apprenticeship is not necessarily the ideal means of finding extra hands. An apprentice will take a great deal of one's time explaining procedures, demonstrating techniques or correcting the mistakes that are a normal part of any learning process. With time, the apprentice can become more skilled and valuable, depending on their level of commitment.
There is a form you can download and file to start the process.

There are also 'informal' apprenticeships, simply where a highschool / college age person works p/t or f/t as a farm hand.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There are formal 'apprenticeships' through MOFGA. For those I suggest that you speak with MOFGA staff.
Thanks very much for the ideas! We'll definitely look into this!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:17 PM

565 posts, read 937,766 times
It's not gonna be easy to get young people instate to do physical labor for ~10$ an hour. I'm not saying its impossible to find people, just that most people would not be okay with that unless they don't have any job currently and no prospects. And I can't say I blame them. It's 2015, a gallon of milk is almost $5, with a loaf of good bread.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:24 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,921,697 times
I am sorry to say that I think you will be hard-pressed to find enough people like you are seeking. It's the exact thing that Governor LePage is trying to turn around, but it's a slow slog.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:55 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,724,031 times
What are you growing that you need that much labor? It sounds like the tomato operation in Madison.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:26 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,571,055 times
Speaking from experience, it's doubtful. Black fly season. It's hot. It's raining. It's early. Mosquitoes. Cell phone. Car broke down. I'm sick. Sunburn. Friends. Cell phone. Family vacation - four weeks. It's hard. It's dirty. Cell phone.

You'll find a few young adults willing to do the work but not many. If we had that kind of labor force we wouldn't need migrant workers.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
What are you growing that you need that much labor? It sounds like the tomato operation in Madison.
Nope. Just expanding poultry operation up to 500 birds, and adding a pig operation of perhaps 100 head. The work is not grueling, stressful, or heavy. We need some gates opened, and some closed. Drive a tractor or ATV out to the field, and dump feed into a hopper. Check water valves. No manure-raking or anything especially dirty. Hours flexible. Opportunity to become full-time manager at better pay.

Let me tell you something: I would take a part-time job like this. I would. It's attitudes like MaineWriter mentioned, that keep Mainers in poverty. They can't see an opportunity handed to them on a silver platter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine