Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:47 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times

Advertisements

lets not forget rhubarb and dandelion greens(gotta have salt pork or bacon with dandelion greens, to give it a maine flavor)
and when alewives (pronounced elwives) are running into maine rivers in the spring, (many folks use to smoke these oily fish)...and in some small towns,,there an old common law that a widow, gets a free "haul" from the caught(netted) alewives.
saw a show on tv in alna (outside of damariscotta) at a place called "headtide"
a man-made old dam, where they still do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Indians showed the Pilgrims how to bury an alewife in each mound of corn as fertilizer. A natural foods guy in Orland decided to incorporate this in his garden so he used ground up alewives. Bears dug up his whole corn crop looking for the alewives. What they didn't dig up they rolled in. He didn't try that again.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:06 AM

455 posts, read 1,228,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Indians showed the Pilgrims how to bury an alewife in each mound of corn as fertilizer. A natural foods guy in Orland decided to incorporate this in his garden so he used ground up alewives. Bears dug up his whole corn crop looking for the alewives. What they didn't dig up they rolled in. He didn't try that again.
LOL. Thanks great post.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:09 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Does anyone know anything about Wild Mushrooms in Maine. Is there a society that is into mushroom gathering.
Each year at the MOFGA fair, there are multiple workshops on gathering mushrooms.

Last year's fair had a chef and a doctor each conducting workshops of mushrooms.

Most of what we have found growing wild here are ink-caps.

I have s-h-i-t-a-k-es, white buttons, and portabellos in my basement trying to grow.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:21 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Thanks Forrest,

The doctor thing is what gives me pause.

Oh if you spell shiitake with a double "i" it gets past the censor. LOL

Old 01-14-2008, 02:14 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
The doctor's workshop was GREAT!

I loved it, and I did learn so much about glyconutrients from him.

Did you know that mushroom glycos are tied up in the unique cellular structure of the mushroom? Mushrooms are not like the cell structures in carrots or potatoes, and unlike most other foods our stomachs can not get the glycos out from the mushroom cell tissues.

He went on and on about the many things that mushrooms can treat, but that cooking and eating them whole our bodies are not capable of accessing the nutrients.

He gathers most of his mushrooms from the wild. He dries them, grinds [like you do nutmeg], and makes teas. Hot or cold it does not matter, the teas can be combined with anything else that you like in your tea [mints, green tea, etc].

Old 01-14-2008, 02:18 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Can I spell...

...shitake?

Old 01-14-2008, 04:01 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
I guess you can if you enter it with bold fonts.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
lets not forget rhubarb and dandelion greens(gotta have salt pork or bacon with dandelion greens, to give it a maine flavor)
and when alewives (pronounced elwives) are running into maine rivers in the spring, (many folks use to smoke these oily fish)...and in some small towns,,there an old common law that a widow, gets a free "haul" from the caught(netted) alewives.
saw a show on tv in alna (outside of damariscotta) at a place called "headtide"
a man-made old dam, where they still do this.
Isn't Headtide where the great mounds of oyster shells are that were left behind by the Native Americans??

You mean " rhubab", don't you?!?!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:42 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I had a wonderful rhubarb bed that I moved away from. It was an old heirloom stock, not the red ruby (which is very pretty) but green. The spread of the leaves (which are poisonous) was huge. Those plants were so strong and vigorous I expect that by now they have cracked thru the parking lot.....that the next owner made of my garden.

I loved rhubarb pie, but in my family it was usually just stewed (with lots of sugar) and served in a pudding cup--or as a sauce over ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: