Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:53 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times

Advertisements

I know they are both bad, but Fairpoint internet is no faster that 1.7 Mbps and often lest than 1 Mbps, for which I pay 28 bucks a month. Even that I could handle, but the drop outs from Friday night to Tuesday morniing, and often other times continuously. I don't bother contacting them, if you do get somebody in the USA none of the departments interact with each other, so it doesn't matter who you call, nobody in the customer service has any power over the actions of the engineering or the tech departments. And if you are having continuous dropouts and they show up when it actually works, you'll get charged a service call.

For 34 bucks(for the first year, you can usually threaten them with earth-link to keep your intro offer, but no one in their right might would use earth link since that entire operation is run out of India), I can get 15Mbps from TW(which is probably no better than 8, but that is 4 times what I have not at least).

The question is whether any of you have switched from Fairpoint to T-W and gotten better service. I was thinking of switching to TW phone too, only because getting Fairpoint to just cut off one and not the other would be probably impossible.

I don't have TM for tv, I have satellite for that. And I already have a connection and a TW box on my house.

So anyone switch and find it better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 05:29 AM

631 posts, read 749,455 times
You know these internet speeds are typically low because you are paying for the lowest plan, right?

Thus when you have slow time on the 4mb/s plan, you're going to dip down to 0.5mb/s. If you have the 20mb/s plan, you typically have slow time at 15mb/s, which is still tolerable. Time Warner is cheaper on the largest plan by $10/mo after the promo ends. So all depends on your demands.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:34 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Dump them both and go with GWI.

bill

Old 09-29-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post

bill
GWI is literally Fairpoint with a different name. It is the SAME ADSL2+ internet, the only difference is the lowest plan starts at 7mb/s so it seems better.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:32 AM

565 posts, read 935,576 times
I know you don't want to cause nothing ever gets done, but you gotta call them and make them do the speed test on the phone. Eventually it will get fixed. Just don't expect it to be on any sorta time frame.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:06 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
GWI is literally Fairpoint with a different name. It is the SAME ADSL2+ internet, the only difference is the lowest plan starts at 7mb/s so it seems better.
GWI's customer service is about a thousand times better than fairpoint. One of there techs actually left work early and stopped by my Mothers house to check the wiring in her basement on the same day we called them.
Try to get Raj at Fairpoint to fly in from the Punjab to check out your basement wiring.

bill

Old 09-29-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post

bill
GWI where I live has to use Fairpoint's very very bad old lines. All service of the lines has to be done by Fairpoint, and good luck with that. Still not sure if GWI even covers where I live.

Last edited by slyfox2; 09-29-2015 at 02:29 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
I know you don't want to cause nothing ever gets done, but you gotta call them and make them do the speed test on the phone. Eventually it will get fixed. Just don't expect it to be on any sorta time frame.
I could deal with the low speed, but the continuous dropouts as much as 20 times a day is not fixable. And as soon as the techs leaver for the weekend I never have internet very long. And it takes them until Tuesday to fix it.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
You know these internet speeds are typically low because you are paying for the lowest plan, right?

Thus when you have slow time on the 4mb/s plan, you're going to dip down to 0.5mb/s. If you have the 20mb/s plan, you typically have slow time at 15mb/s, which is still tolerable. Time Warner is cheaper on the largest plan by $10/mo after the promo ends. So all depends on your demands.
Do you have Fairpoint on very old copper lines? I was told by the company that it would be 10 years before my lines could be updated to more than the "3Mbps" that I'm NOT getting now.

Upgrade beyond 3 Mbps is not available in my area.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Do you have Fairpoint on very old copper lines? I was told by the company that it would be 10 years before my lines could be updated to more than the "3Mbps" that I'm NOT getting now.

Upgrade beyond 3 Mbps is not available in my area.
Jeez, I would hope at least RedZone or something else is close to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: