Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 04:27 PM

19 posts, read 25,723 times

Advertisements

Hello, all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Long story short, I'm looking for a nice central Maine town to retire, continue my business and maybe start a small organic farming operation. There's a cute little farmhouse on 15 acres for sale up there. Anybody know what the soils are like?

I'm about a year away from retirement but I'd like to buy something soon so I have a place to go when I'm finally released from the Gulag. I cannot wait to get out of this place. I own a small business here in SENY, custom wood fencing/outdoor structures. Could I find experienced help for say $15 or $20 an hour? I can't find anybody (who can do something) for less than $25 an hour here. And the cost of living, cost of doing business, taxes, everything is insane. For example, it costs $4000 per employee per year for workers comp alone. Even if the guy only works for me for 2 weeks. Does not matter. This state sure knows how to stick it to you.

Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 04:31 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,302,914 times
Gulag ? And what "state" are you refering too for "sticking it to you"..? ( rather confused at your goals )

Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,701,288 times
Monson is at the intersection of the Moosehead Trail and the Appalachian Trail. It is also the home of the internationally renowned "Pie Lady" who makes the best pies in the whole world, at least according to Appalachian Trail through hikers. Monson is also home to the gastronomical delight the "skidder tire" or the world's largest donut, fried in lard the way God intended donuts to be fried.

Yes, you can hire good, honest and hard working people here for $15 an hour. There is a good market for camps or cabins built off site and delivered to a level spot. These buildings were originated by Amish and Mennonite companies, but everybody is getting into the business. Quality sells.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:43 AM

885 posts, read 1,496,435 times
Monson is a quiet little town. Not much industry but that is typical around here. I live about 10 minutes from there in Abbot. Monson gets a fair amount of traffic coming and going to Moosehead pretty much year round. If your retirement plans work out I might be able to assist you. I have lots of experience in construction as well as metal working. Semi retired so am always looking for some extra dough. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2015, 12:13 PM

19 posts, read 25,723 times
Thanks for taking the time, namder1. I will keep you in mind. I appreciate your input also, NMLM. I have no intention of coming to Maine and competing with local establishments. I have been self-employed since 1974 so the notion of not working is quite foreign to me. It would probably be more or less a hobby/business. I'm a builder. It's in my blood. Just would like to hire a couple of guys and try to keep something going after I make my move.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:48 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,136,168 times
It rains there a lot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: