Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,404 times

Advertisements

Hello, We are looking to locate to the state of Maine. I have a child with Autism so would like a progressive district as well as close proximity to good health care. Would like a small town , less than 10k people but with a grocery store and local watering hole.
My husband wants land 5+ acres I want new build.
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 05:40 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times
I would suggest around the cities of portland or bangor, and bangor being further north, will no doubt be even more rural, but portland has more amenities.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:45 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elhunter View Post
Hello, We are looking to locate to the state of Maine. I have a child with Autism so would like a progressive district as well as close proximity to good health care. Would like a small town , less than 10k people but with a grocery store and local watering hole.
Any ideas?
What is "progressive district" supposed to mean?

As for the rest...

If you go just a few miles out from the larger cities like Bangor, Waterville, Augusta, etc. you can find small towns with plenty of land. Bangor starts turning rural before you even get outside of the city limits. Around Portland, you might have to go a little further out, unless you've got a fat wallet.

Smaller towns may not have [large] grocery stores or bars, you might have to drive a few miles...but there are more bars than there used to be, I think.

You can get 5+ acres pretty cheap in some places.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:55 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Federal Regs are really specific about what has to be done. I would suggest a larger district because dealing with special children is very very expensive. Small districts that are already strapped for money may not be providing the best for your child due to the fact the the FEds demand and require, but never re-imburse---and while they have to maintain the special ed budget, the budget for art, music and other regular stuff is where the funds for special ed comes from.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:44 PM

319 posts, read 346,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
and while they have to maintain the special ed budget, the budget for art, music and other regular stuff is where the funds for special ed comes from.

Unless the school district is mismanaging their funds, this is not what should be happening. Special Ed funds for kids with IEPs is supposed to come from federal fund pools specifically designated solely to fulfill the needs of IEPs since that is a federal legal document.

I do agree with the previous comment, though, that with Special Ed you are generally better off with schools districts with more money or with districts that provide school choice where they will pay for a private school that best suits the needs of your child. I don't know what level of Autism your child has but I would definitely call around to the districts you are interested in well before buying land and ask what your child's day would look like given his/her current IEP. What kind of classes your child would be in, what are the qualifications of the teachers, what will they do if they cannot fulfill the requirements of your current IEP, and what will they do if your child does not make progress in their classes? And I would visit some of the classes/schools myself. You will find enormous variances from school district to school district (as is the case with any state - not just Maine).

I would also call the Autism Society of Maine and see what they suggest and what resources and support they offer in different areas of the state.

Last edited by seasallyttle; 03-23-2016 at 02:05 PM..

Old 03-23-2016, 05:03 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasallyttle View Post
Unless the school district is mismanaging their funds, this is not what should be happening. Special Ed funds for kids with IEPs is supposed to come from federal fund pools specifically designated solely to fulfill the needs of IEPs since that is a federal legal document.

That is incorrect information.

Maybe you're thinking of Title 1 reading or math programs, which are Federally funded. Certain low-income areas may be eligible for additional Federal funds but they would not be tied to individual ed plans.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:01 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,823 times
What is your price range?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:45 PM

973 posts, read 2,382,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
That is incorrect information.

Maybe you're thinking of Title 1 reading or math programs, which are Federally funded. Certain low-income areas may be eligible for additional Federal funds but they would not be tied to individual ed plans.
I will second that. A few years ago there was a child in Bridgewater who needed a very specialized program. The town ended up sending the child to the Houlton school system for his education needs. He was extremely low function, but the town was required to meet his educational needs. There was a bus that transported him and an aide to the Houlton school and back each day. Including all the special requirements that this child needed, it cost the town of Bridgewater $101,000 for this one student's education per year. He was not able to speak, was confined to a wheel chair, but whatever his needs were, the town needed to provide an education that met them. The Feds paid not one nickel of this expense.

I also remember several Houlton students being sent to Sweetster, where the tuition is around $50,000 a year. The district has to pay that expense because the local school district cannot meet the needs of the student. Again, that comes out of district funds, not Fed funds.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:50 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elhunter View Post
Any ideas?
Maine is lacking high-pay jobs. Do you have a job lined up ?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:23 AM

625 posts, read 792,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Maine is lacking high-pay jobs. Do you have a job lined up ?
They may be moving here for the "programs" Maine offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine