Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:53 AM

973 posts, read 2,382,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The link provided is to a .45 caliber rifle with 1,000fps muzzle velocity.
If you want to take a crack at a bear with a pellet gun shooting a projectile at 1000fps and 500 ft lbs of energy, you need to also include fast sneakers in your backpack. A .308 rifle typically delivers the slug at a velocity of 2800 fps and 2800 ft lbs of energy, and a .308 is about the lowest I would want to go on the armament scale. I remember a story once that happened near where I live. This out of stater wanted to shoot a bear with a 45 cal revolver. He was sitting over bait, but in a blind not a tree stand. Well, the first shot didn't drop the bear, the 6th shot did, and the bear dropped just several feet from him. Now had he not dropped the first slug into the bear's shoulder, wounding it, it probably never would have charged, but don't take a pellet gun to a bear fight. a 45 cal revolver might not serve you that well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 11:32 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
One of my brothers used to go wild boar hunting with a spear and a .45. I thought it sounded a little crazy, but he had a bunch of friends who all did it together.

I send 300 and 400-pound sows to freezer-camp every year with my .38 never had any problem doing it. Last spring I had a 750-pound boar that had became aggressive, my 12 ga sent him to freezer-camp with ease.

You need the critter to be close if you want a brain shot.

I have never had to put down one of these little bears, so far they have always been timid around me.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:15 PM

38 posts, read 52,271 times
Rent "The Revenant" at Redbox.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:28 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibsie View Post
Just as the title says, husband is weird about bears. He thinks that they just roam around looking for someone to eat. How common is it to see bears or other dangerous wildlife in the Pittsfield area, please? He thinks that the new pellet guns are not enough for protection, either. Also, is $90-100K enough to live on for 4 people? What do y'all think?
Tell him to worry about black-fly season more than a bear.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:14 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Tell him to worry about black-fly season more than a bear.
See the funny thing is that we don't have " black fly season" here. Said to be because of the constant breeze- or whatever it is- but we don't.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:29 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
See the funny thing is that we don't have " black fly season" here. Said to be because of the constant breeze- or whatever it is- but we don't.
Lucky you! Aroostook County is chock full of them. For some reason these guys are more vicious this year!

Old 05-25-2016, 06:42 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,809 times
Hey sub, just a question, assuming a bear was attacking your pigs, could yoy legally kill it (and then surrender it to the state), to protect your pigs/other animals? Or do you have to be an actual farmer like most states?

Old 05-25-2016, 07:06 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
I think ya'll scared the OP away.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:12 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Hey sub, just a question, assuming a bear was attacking your pigs, could yoy legally kill it (and then surrender it to the state), to protect your pigs/other animals? Or do you have to be an actual farmer like most states?
That is an odd thing to assume. What could possibly cause a bear to attack a much larger animal?

Anytime that anything attacks my livestock I can shoot it.

Pigs are very social. If one pig feels distressed or excited, he/she will start grunting, like loud huffs in rapid sequence, maybe 2 seconds apart. All other pigs hearing this will join in. I think it is a way for them to pump-up their adrenalin. You get the entire herd responding when one pig is in distressed. The huffing also gets their appetite up, it seems to make them ready to eat [not like they need it].

If a bear approached adult pigs. I am not sure if the pigs would see a little bear as a source of danger at all.

If there are piglets around, sows will alert as soon as they can smell a fox or any predator. Soon the herd will be all worked up and racing around looking for something to eat.

If a bear had rabies or something that caused it to lose any sense of self-preservation and actually tried to attack adult pigs, the pigs will gorge until they can't walk, then they take a nap and get up later to finish gorging. I don't think there would be anything left afterward.

Normally if you kill a game animal, you are supposed to call the game wardens. They keep a list of needy families in each town who want the meat. We have done that when we hit deer.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibsie View Post
Just as the title says, husband is weird about bears. He thinks that they just roam around looking for someone to eat. How common is it to see bears or other dangerous wildlife in the Pittsfield area, please? He thinks that the new pellet guns are not enough for protection, either. Also, is $90-100K enough to live on for 4 people? What do y'all think?
Pellet gun NO use something like this for bear if they get too close......Ruger® Super Redhawk Alaskan® Double-Action Revolver Models
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine