Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 06:52 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
LL Bean sells guns. They don't have guns or gun related items in their catalogs since they went the Lands End route. To buy a gun from LL Bean you have to actually go to the store in Freeport. I have been in a few LL Bean outlet stores. They do not sell hunting related items.

I have never seen bear spray for sale in Maine.
Not going to lie this post has me thinking .We were in ME last year in and around Freeport and loved it, we all so know a few people in ME and have visited a few times ,yes we are looking .I walk six miles every morning and the ME wildlife does make me wonder whether my early morning walks can continue if and when we move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 07:39 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Not going to lie this post has me thinking .We were in ME last year in and around Freeport and loved it, we all so know a few people in ME and have visited a few times ,yes we are looking .I walk six miles every morning and the ME wildlife does make me wonder whether my early morning walks can continue if and when we move?
Freeport is located in a corner of the state that is the most densely populated urban region of the state. I hate seeing anyone try to use what they saw in Freeport to describe the rest of Maine.

If you enjoy taking walks, you can continue to enjoy your walks anywhere in Maine.

We have a parcel of land that is a mile deep with a jeep trail cut down the center of it. I enjoy walking the length of that trail. Occasionally I have came up onto a bear on my trail. When it happens we are usually both startled by the sight of each other. I turn around and walk away 100 yards. Then I turn around again and continue my original walk. But the second time I sing out loud. So the bear can hear me coming. Singing and making noise like that, the bear will be gone before I can return to the site.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:00 AM

428 posts, read 554,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
LL Bean sells guns. They don't have guns or gun related items in their catalogs since they went the Lands End route. To buy a gun from LL Bean you have to actually go to the store in Freeport. I have been in a few LL Bean outlet stores. They do not sell hunting related items.

I have never seen bear spray for sale in Maine.
I work at a big box outdoor store in Southern Maine. Bear spray is sold there and I have had many customers ask for it. I never felt the need for it in Maine, except perhaps in an urban environment. I feel safer in the woods day or night than in some of our downtown areas.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Freeport is located in a corner of the state that is the most densely populated urban region of the state. I hate seeing anyone try to use what they saw in Freeport to describe the rest of Maine.

If you enjoy taking walks, you can continue to enjoy your walks anywhere in Maine.

We have a parcel of land that is a mile deep with a jeep trail cut down the center of it. I enjoy walking the length of that trail. Occasionally I have came up onto a bear on my trail. When it happens we are usually both startled by the sight of each other. I turn around and walk away 100 yards. Then I turn around again and continue my original walk. But the second time I sing out loud. So the bear can hear me coming. Singing and making noise like that, the bear will be gone before I can return to the site.
Never said a word that I though Freeport was all of ME.It was the last place I was in ME,that's all.I have climbed Katahdin and come down knives edge ...pretty sure I realise all of ME is not like Freeport or visa versa.

Oh yeah, I sing like crap!

Old 08-07-2017, 11:34 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Never said a word that I though Freeport was all of ME.It was the last place I was in ME,that's all.I have climbed Katahdin and come down knives edge ...pretty sure I realise all of ME is not like Freeport or visa versa.

Oh yeah, I sing like crap!
Knife's Edge scares the crap out of me. I'd rather meet up with wildlife. I think you'd be just fine. Most of the wildlife wants to be as far away from you as possible. Some of the animals will watch you to figure out if you're a threat. There's rarely ever anything in the news about people being bothered. When it happens it's usually a rabid skunk, raccoon or fox with rabies. That can happen most anywhere.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:00 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
I work at a big box outdoor store in Southern Maine. Bear spray is sold there and I have had many customers ask for it. I never felt the need for it in Maine, except perhaps in an urban environment. I feel safer in the woods day or night than in some of our downtown areas.
Reminded me of my Grandfather's bear repelling technique when I was a kid. Head out of the camp in your wife beater and tightie whities with a fry pan and a steel ladle and chase the bear out of the garbage can and back into the woods.

Got two bothering the bird feeder these days. The kid never should've left the suet on top of the 50# of birdseed in the covered steel trash can.

Bears won't bother you. I'm more concerned about skunks. In the dark.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Reminded me of my Grandfather's bear repelling technique when I was a kid. Head out of the camp in your wife beater and tightie whities with a fry pan and a steel ladle and chase the bear out of the garbage can and back into the woods.

Got two bothering the bird feeder these days. The kid never should've left the suet on top of the 50# of birdseed in the covered steel trash can.

Bears won't bother you. I'm more concerned about skunks. In the dark.
Are skunks a big problem?I know they are a problem on Martha's Vineyard.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Are skunks a big problem?I know they are a problem on Martha's Vineyard.
They can be. Skunks have gotten into our chicken coops a few times. Our dog manages to get sprayed about once a year.

Our dog also gets into a tussle with a porcupine about once a year also.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
They can be. Skunks have gotten into our chicken coops a few times. Our dog manages to get sprayed about once a year.

Our dog also gets into a tussle with a porcupine about once a year also.
So is the tomato juice thing true?

Old 08-09-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
So is the tomato juice thing true?
It is my understanding that the spray is a protein, and to break out down you need to use either a weak acid or a weak base.

Mixing acids and bases does not work because they just neutralize themselves.

But you can alternate. Do one wash with an acid [like tomato juice or vinegar] and then a wash with a base [like baking soda].

It seems the best I can do is to get half of the smell off, each time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine