Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:38 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times

Advertisements

Hope you and your husband have a wonderful trip to Maine, Kathryn. And happy 10th anniversary!

I do have to ask though how it is even possible to take 4 days to go the <100 miles between Salem MA and Portland ME? Or perhaps I should phrase that as 'why' are you taking that long to go that short distance? Or are you going north then south, etc.

I am about to leave to go down to NC from the other direction and many times on trips like these, the only state I 'meander' in along my way is Maine so I have done the coast too but if you are on 95 you will be there in less than a couple of hours and even if you were to go along Rte. 1 (which I often do) and explore almost every town along the way, it is just hard to imagine taking that long in that area (especially since traffic on Rte 1 no matter how slow will push you to go faster). I wish I had the time to slow down that much, mind you .. so I do hope you find lots to hold your interest along the way ... but Freeport (where LLBean is) is not far north of Portland either so if you go past Portland up 295 (and then back to it if you are staying there) you won't even find that drive very long.

Anyway .. have fun. Hope the leaves turn (they may go fast this year as others have said) at just the right moment for your visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 12:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Hope you and your husband have a wonderful trip to Maine, Kathryn. And happy 10th anniversary!

I do have to ask though how it is even possible to take 4 days to go the <100 miles between Salem MA and Portland ME? Or perhaps I should phrase that as 'why' are you taking that long to go that short distance? Or are you going north then south, etc.

I am about to leave to go down to NC from the other direction and many times on trips like these, the only state I 'meander' in along my way is Maine so I have done the coast too but if you are on 95 you will be there in less than a couple of hours and even if you were to go along Rte. 1 (which I often do) and explore almost every town along the way, it is just hard to imagine taking that long in that area (especially since traffic on Rte 1 no matter how slow will push you to go faster). I wish I had the time to slow down that much, mind you .. so I do hope you find lots to hold your interest along the way ... but Freeport (where LLBean is) is not far north of Portland either so if you go past Portland up 295 (and then back to it if you are staying there) you won't even find that drive very long.

Anyway .. have fun. Hope the leaves turn (they may go fast this year as others have said) at just the right moment for your visit.
Thanks - we're really looking forward to our trip.

Two days in Boston. One day in Concord and Salem, seeing the sights. Two days in Boothbay Harbor and around in that area. One day in Portland.

We don't intend to spend our days driving - we intend to spend most of our days wandering around - on the beaches, in little towns, in shops, at museums, around the different hotels and resorts we're going to be staying at. We want this vacation to be at a slow pace - we want to linger over good food, stop and get out and take pictures, have a coffee in a bookstore or sitting on a park bench, and we don't want to worry about getting somewhere else at any particular time.

I'm bringing my fancy schmancy camera and the fall leaves should be at their peak the week we're there.
https://newengland.com/seasons/fall/...l-foliage-map/

And THAT'S how you spend four days going from Salem, MA to Portland, ME!

Old 09-22-2016, 02:34 PM

77 posts, read 84,206 times
The last few days here have been like Summer still, with highs near 80 but this weekend and next week are forecast to be chilly and this should start the leaves to changing.

The best vacations are those not overly planned IMO. Meandering is good for the soul.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugenieB View Post
The last few days here have been like Summer still, with highs near 80 but this weekend and next week are forecast to be chilly and this should start the leaves to changing.

The best vacations are those not overly planned IMO. Meandering is good for the soul.
All the foliage maps are saying that the leaves should be looking great by the time we get there. I can't wait!

We do have some fall foliage here in northeast Texas, believe it or not, but it's often AFTER Thanksgiving. And of course it's still hot here right now. And will be in the 90s and 80s during the day till probably the end of October. We're just now getting into a few upper 60s at night now. This is the point where lots of southerners get "summer weary" so I'm really looking forward to some crisp weather.

"Highs near 80" means "highs in the upper 70s," right? LOL that doesn't feel like summer to me - it feels like flat out fall (or spring)! We haven't seen daytime highs in the upper 70s since May! We're lucky at this point if we get into the mid seventies by 2 am.

I had to buy some cute jackets (yeah "had to") for our trip. I mean, I don't have very many, and hardly any that seem fallish, because our falls are still warm. Most of my jackets (in other words, my winter clothes) are more Christmasy or Valentiney - red or gray or black - I mean like the depths of winter colors. I wanted some fall colors, but like I said, my fall clothes are light sweaters AT BEST. I am likely to freeze my tush off if it gets below 50 degrees.

LOL y'all will be walking around in T shirts and I'll be wearing a coat and a scarf! And I'm fine with that!

Old 09-26-2016, 06:08 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
I'm glad you posted this because I wanted to recommend stopping at Renys in Topsham on your way north. The Topsham one is convenient (right off I-295, exit 31), as well as easily accessible from Route 1. Renys is perfect for you--Maine or regional food items, household items, Maine calendars, beautiful Maine-themed Christmas ornaments, as well as gloves, cozy socks, fleece and flannel tops, etc. Very reasonable prices too. There's also a wonderful Renys in Gardiner.
I'm keeping this in mind.

I'm also taking a trip in early/mid October though it'll be a bit different. I only have 3 days to do it with Fall Break and I'll be driving from southeast PA and back so I'll be doing much more driving. This trip for me will be more of a driving tour as I'm also trying to fit in upstate NY, CT, Mass, NH and VT for the first time (sorry Rhode Island, maybe next time).

I've been checking out places to eat and while I expected lobster to be on the menu, I've also noticed a lot of clam which I have NO experience with whatsoever. I've seen fried clam and clam rolls and also seen reviews talking about "bellies" and strips which means nothing to me! Any recommendations on what to get? Is one or the other in season/fresher? Also any restaurant suggestions for in or near Old Orchard Beach? I'd be willing to drive about half an hour for dinner.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:00 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I'm keeping this in mind.

I'm also taking a trip in early/mid October though it'll be a bit different. I only have 3 days to do it with Fall Break and I'll be driving from southeast PA and back so I'll be doing much more driving. This trip for me will be more of a driving tour as I'm also trying to fit in upstate NY, CT, Mass, NH and VT for the first time (sorry Rhode Island, maybe next time).

I've been checking out places to eat and while I expected lobster to be on the menu, I've also noticed a lot of clam which I have NO experience with whatsoever. I've seen fried clam and clam rolls and also seen reviews talking about "bellies" and strips which means nothing to me! Any recommendations on what to get? Is one or the other in season/fresher? Also any restaurant suggestions for in or near Old Orchard Beach? I'd be willing to drive about half an hour for dinner.
Clam strips are just part of the neck of the clam. Don't bother with these. Get the whole clam. Try the scallops too!

Old 09-28-2016, 12:23 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times
Salem is worth a visit. Stop at the visitors center and get a walking tour map. It's a great way to visit all of the main attractions. You can do it at your pace. Afterwards, head over (drive) to the Clam Shack for lobster rolls, clam chowder, and fried clams. You will love the views.

After visiting Salem, you may want to swing by Newburyport. It's very quaint.

In Boston, if you want a quick lunch or take-out, try Casa Razdora Italian food. Their homemade ravioli and sachetti are amazing. I recommend their Quattro Formaggio sauce (very rich). The place is small. We usually get our meals to go and eat at the park or down on the harbor. Look at the menu beforehand because there are so many choices of pasta, sauce, etc. It can be overwhelming if you don't know what you want.

In Boston, try James Hook Co. for lobster. It's a no frills place with indoor (small) and outdoor seating.

In Portland, we like Holy Donuts (potato donuts), Central Provisions (small plates), Duckfat (poutine, sandwiches, and milkshakes), Eventide (small plates), Marcy's Diner (pancakes, grilled muffins, breakfast), and J's Oysters (seafood). I prefer to sit at the bar in Central Provisions and watch the dishes being prepared.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine