Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,590 times

Advertisements

Msina gave me an idea for a thread when she mentioned Allen's Coffee Brandy, which I've never heard of but am curious to try. Ok, so this is closely related to the "While we're all thinking of food" thread, but do we ever tire of talking about food & drink? What are your favorite Maine beverages (non-alcoholic or high-test)?

My sweetie bought some Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale this week. YUM! Worth the $10.50 for a 6 pack. I drank a Red Stripe a couple of days later and it tasted like swill in comparison.

Here's a fun story about Allen's:

A Bittersweet 'Champagne of Maine' - washingtonpost.com

Last edited by McMar; 02-28-2008 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: add link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:45 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
Blueberry Ale rocks! -

Although I've tried it several times, I just don't like Moxie.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:42 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
There are LOTS of brewers in Maine now offering everything from Pale Ale to Belgian wheat beers and everything in between. A great many of these beers have won awards in one form or another. Shipyard, Grittys, and Geary's all use the same ringwood ale yeast from England so you may find the styles similar in taste. Allagash makes the phenolic, clove tasting Belgian beers that many people (including my daughter and her friends) just love. There are the clean tasting ales from Sebago Brewing, Casco Bay Brewing and a host of smaller breweries. I did an apprenticeship with Seadog Brewing under a Brewmaster from England Mike Hall. I stayed with Seadog in Camden for a few years and from there I went on to Gritty Mc Duff's as their head brewer for several years.
I have some sentimental favorites and some I truly miss as they are either no longer made or radically changed.
If you like beer Maine has it for you!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:54 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
I like Sea Dog's Blueberry, Raspberry Wheat and Apricot beers. Peppermint Schnopps in hot chocolate is awesome.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 AM

307 posts, read 1,589,551 times
Default Beer

As soon as we get to Maine each year for a visit my hubby buys local beer. He's not much of a drinker but he really likes Maine beer. He tries all kinds as long as they aren't too "fancy".
For me it's local Maine ice cream and of course sea food. I think the cows in Maine must make extra creamy cream. I know that isn't a beverage I just had to add that!
Even though my "handle" is Moxie I don't like the stuff. But, my Eastport grandmother was a life long drinker.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:04 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
Jones still bottles old fashioned soda and are well known for some of their offbeat flavors. They still make it with cane sugar vs high fructose corn syrup. They make a "Raspberry Lime Ricky" that they bottle for Pat's Pizza. It is my favorite in the world, it takes me back to when I was a kid and we'd get a soda as a treat at the diner or dept. store lunch counter. Check out their Limited edition sodas for a laugh, Turkey and Gravy is one offbeat flavor.

Welcome to Jones Soda

Old 02-28-2008, 12:12 PM

47 posts, read 123,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Jones still bottles old fashioned soda and are well known for some of their offbeat flavors. They still make it with cane sugar vs high fructose corn syrup. They make a "Raspberry Lime Ricky" that they bottle for Pat's Pizza. It is my favorite in the world, it takes me back to when I was a kid and we'd get a soda as a treat at the diner or dept. store lunch counter. Check out their Limited edition sodas for a laugh, Turkey and Gravy is one offbeat flavor.

Welcome to Jones Soda
Isn't Jones' Soda in Washington?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:17 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
To tell you the truth I don't know though it very well may be. It is popular here and you find it in most "Mom and Pop" stores. They do make good stuff and they do bottle soda for Pat's Pizza with their label.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:30 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Yeah, Jones Soda started out in Western Canada as a distributer for other drinks. They are headquartered in Seattle, Washington now. I think they started making their own label stuff back in 96 or 97.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:25 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Moxie is Maine's official beverage as enacted by the Maine Legislature and signed into law by the governor. I have been drinking it for well over 60 years. When I'm standing in front of the doors of a large cooler I'm not trying to choose from the bewildering array of beverages in there; I'm just looking for the Moxie. Nothing like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine