Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 12:18 PM

23 posts, read 27,660 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're looking to do another foliage drive (last year we did Vermont, flat out loved it, so Maine is going to have to come through in a big way in order to match up with last year). I'll currently throw out a few scattered thoughts and hopefully be able to get some suggestions. Nothing is (too) iron-clad, and I certainly won't be offended if you tell me that any of my ideas aren't feasible or illogical.

We're thinking of driving up from (10 miles north of) Boston to Bangor at night. I'm thinking that since this will be a straight shot up 95 that this will probably be the least scenic parts of a drive, and therefore fine to do at night, is that correct?

On our first full day in Maine, we're thinking of doing a moose watching tour. From what I can tell, mid-October is something of a mixed bag, in that moose aren't trivially easy to find, but their antlers are in full form by that time in the season. We're not the most outdoorsy people nor are we early risers, so we're thinking we'd want to do a dusk tour and we'd probably want to do van over canoe (though if anyone can provide any insight on how strenuous/hands dirty the canoe tour would be, that'd be much appreciated). Any recommendations on tour companies? And we'd probably want to do this up in the Moosehead/Katahdin area?

From there, we'd like to do the Stephen King tour in Bangor (anyone here ever done this? Per the reviews on TripAdvisor, it looks overwhelmingly popular). We'd probably be doing this on our second day. From there, we'd probably be done with that in between 12-1. From there, we should have a couple hours to drive around before nightfall and we drive back to Boston. Driving from Bangor to the Height of Land seems like it might be an option. Any recommendation on routes going that way? Or any recommendation on any other route to head back. As you can see, we're plenty willing to take fairly massive detours on our way back to Boston, we'd just like to make sure that we'd feasibly be home before 8:30 or so that Sunday night, but anything beyond that is entirely negotiable.

Lastly, any consensus on what fall colors will likely be like in the different areas around 10/14-10/16? Any areas to shoot for or any areas to avoid?

Any thoughts/feedback is very much appreciated. As you can see, we have more than a couple questions, but we're very happy and excited to spend some more time in your great state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 10:12 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,112 times
If you up for it i suggest the top of katahdin, ive never done it but ive seen pictures. I imagine its a prime spot up there.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:04 AM

607 posts, read 602,036 times
In mid-October I'm planning on taking a bus up from NYC to Portland, renting a car, and doing a drive around the Maine coast and to see the foliage, so I'm curious about this info as well.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:33 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
The most likely place to see a moose in October is on a snowmobile trailer on the way to a weigh-in station.

The foliage will be great though.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The most likely place to see a moose in October is on a snowmobile trailer on the way to a weigh-in station.

The foliage will be great though.

Even this late in the season, if I go that far north as Moosehead Lake, the foliage will be good? That's my biggest concern.

The moose tours, I can ask the tour guides what they think. Most of them offer money back guarantees on seeing a moose anyway so I'm not terribly concerned.

Just want to make sure the scenery will be worth it.

We can MAYBE switch it to 9/30-10/2. Does anyone think that would be better? Unfortunately Columbus Day weekend is solidly out.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:04 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
The first full week of October is normally the foliage peak from Greenville down to Newport. This includes all the way east on Route 6 to Canada.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:16 PM

Gotcha, any insight on what it'll be like around 10/14-10/16?

Is there any area that would be particularly good around that time?

Old 04-27-2016, 06:19 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times
You might consider the Farmington area. My daughter and I drove up there in mid-October 2013 and the drive from Augusta to Farmington was gorgeous. Plenty of autumn color and beautiful scenery. Stop at Fielder's Choice in Manchester or Sabattus on your way back into town for a generous amount of delicious ice cream!

Old 04-27-2016, 02:18 PM

565 posts, read 935,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonFriar View Post
Gotcha, any insight on what it'll be like around 10/14-10/16?

Is there any area that would be particularly good around that time?

There is no exact answer. Really depends on the weather the weeks/months leading up to that time.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:13 PM

321 posts, read 486,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
There is no exact answer. Really depends on the weather the weeks/months leading up to that time.
This is true. However, if you have to decide now, I'd try to get to Maine one week earlier if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine