Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:06 PM

605 posts, read 624,888 times

Advertisements

(1) Where do people in Belfast go for medical care? Meaning (a) emergencies and (b) something major like a joint replacement. For the latter would they go to Portland?

(2) I'm taken aback by the cost of food in Maine and the declining quality and increasing price of PRODUCE the farther you go up the coast. How do people cope with this? About how much do you spend on food per month and per person?

(3) Any dedicated paddlers here? Specifically lake and pond paddling, especially paddle camping, not sea kayaking. I was thinking that Belfast would be a good home base for the lakes along route 182 and around Camden and Liberty. Looking for small to medium lakes, not the big ones. I'm thinking that Belfast would offer a nice combination of civilization and access to lake camping that feels a bit remote even though it isn't. Your thoughts, kayak and canoe campers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 02:53 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Luckily blueberries are one of the world's healthiest and most perfect foods. I've always been satisfied with the produce in Maine. Prices are a bit on the high side but not outrageous.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:15 PM

133 posts, read 135,660 times
For emergencies in Belfast, you'd go to the emergency department at Waldo County General, the hospital that's in town. They might do joint replacement surgery there and you can check their website or call them to find out. Folks go to larger hospitals for things like heart surgery. WCGH is part of the MaineHealth system, one of the major hospital systems in the state, and you can explore its website.

Because food pricing and quality is relative, it would be helpful to tell us what you're comparing it to. I think food prices on the coast and elsewhere in Maine are very reasonable. As someone who is mostly vegetarian, I've found the quality of what's available in Belfast-Camden-Rockport-Rockland to be excellent for my food choices. I've also food shopped in Seattle and Atlanta--both fresh markets and chains--within the past year, and I don't feel that Maine food quality is lacking in any way.

Belfast has the Co-op, where you can become a member and/or work to get discounts on local produce and all their other food items. There's also local farms to explore what they offer. There's a Hannaford, a chain that's found throughout the southern half of the state (and maybe further north, but I don't know). Their prices are pretty consistent, and now that I've moved inland, I can tell you that its prices are not higher on the coast. It's curious why you think this might be true.

Can't answer paddling questions, but Belfast is a good community and a good location to get to other recreational areas.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:37 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
Belfast is a good place to start for all of it. Stocking up from farm stands can save a considerable amount on produce this time of year, freezing, canning and freeze drying what you need. Fairly cheaply. Or grow it yourself. As to paddling, I'd hazard a guess that many of the islands in the area lakes are privately owned and not available for camping. You need to go upcountry for that. Chesuncook has campsites, but you don't want to get caught out in a blow.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietnights View Post
Because food pricing and quality is relative, it would be helpful to tell us what you're comparing it to.
I'm comparing food prices to Market Basket, which has high quality produce and their prices are usually lower than Shaw's and Hannaford. E.g., on-the-vine tomatoes might be $3/lb at Shaw's and $1.29 at Market Basket. In Maine I saw many fruits for $4/lb, which is twice what I usually pay.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
As to paddling, I'd hazard a guess that many of the islands in the area lakes are privately owned and not available for camping. You need to go upcountry for that.
Ah, now that's what I love about the state of Maine. In fact there are numerous free kayak/canoe campsites within a stone's throw of Ellsworth, all sanction by the state, some even maintained by the state. I'm eyeing this area because these lakes would be accessible for day trips, rather than the multi-day trip for the upstate lakes. Just looking for confirmation of that from local paddlers.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:01 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
You were previously "eyeing" Camden, which is a couple of large bays and a solid 1.25 hour drive from Ellsworth, and "island" campsites on "lakes". Having lived here all my life, as a local, I can't say I know of any "State" campsites around Ellsworth except maybe on Donnell Pond and a couple others. None that I know of on any freshwater islands. There's the Machias River corridor, but that's another 1.5 hours from Ellsworth to the East. Several campsites on lakes and the River up there. A few permitted rough sites on area lakes off the Stud Mill Road (used to be one on Sabao at a beautiful big beach lined with wild highbush blueberries). But none on any islands that I know of. And believe me, I know the Machias River pretty well from 5th Lake to Route 9. I grew up there.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:04 PM

133 posts, read 135,660 times
I did read in the New Hampshire forum your June 2017 post decrying the rising fruit prices at Market Basket and that you were shopping more often at Hannaford. I guess you have to decide how much of a deal breaker fruit prices are in the overall cost of living differences from your current location.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:18 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,405,402 times
We kayak! I will send a direct message to you with a few of the places west of you that we enjoy. We haven't ventured too far from home yet because going to the same couple of places over and over has not gotten stale. There is always something new to see, different lighting, etc.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Having lived here all my life, as a local, I can't say I know of any "State" campsites around Ellsworth except maybe on Donnell Pond and a couple others. None that I know of on any freshwater islands.
The Delorme atlas shows several. I have personally camped at them and heard about others from local residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine