Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:24 AM

21 posts, read 26,138 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Me and my husnbad are living in Florida for about 4 years. We moved here from Massachusetts (lived in MA for 15 years).
And now I think we had enough of crazy people (we regret we moved here) we want back where people nice and where is peaceful when they don't drive crazy and don't hurrass on the roads.
We are considering Maine. First of all we heard a lot of good things about Maine, second of all the lowest crime rate, and third much more older and mature population.
We are considering young couple. 45 and 30 years old.(no kids)
Here are some questions we have. We would like to to know what kind of jobs are available? In what sector? Should we specialize before moving to Maine? We would like to buy a house with a few acres. More acreage the better but at the same time we would like to be close to town/city (30 minutes drive) for work purposes.
What's the cost of living for two people in Maine not including mortgage? Our house budget is close to $150k, maximum $175k. Any good, quiet areas with close town/city where I could get a job? My husband works remotely but I will need to find a job, at least part time.
And also What kind of state/government jobs are available? And where?
I am debating between state work and health care.
Thank you very much.

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-13-2018 at 04:28 AM.. Reason: removed inflammatory comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 10:15 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
I think you would like Maine. Winters are tough. But the level of "sanity" is quite high. The unemployment rate is very low and the economy is not too bad.
The housing is more expensive in southern and coastal Maine.
You can provide us with more specific criteria for more help.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I think you would like Maine. Winters are tough. But the level of "sanity" is quite high. The unemployment rate is very low and the economy is not too bad.
The housing is more expensive in southern and coastal Maine.
You can provide us with more specific criteria for more help.
I don't know what kind of specific criterias should I mention. Only that want to be close to the city/town, 30 minutes and we would like to get as big property as possible. And price range $150-175k. Water view is nice but not required. Thank you.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:30 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLbutterfly View Post
I don't know what kind of specific criterias should I mention. Only that want to be close to the city/town, 30 minutes and we would like to get as big property as possible. And price range $150-175k. Water view is nice but not required. Thank you.
So I will tell you that in southern Maine, or near the coast, $150k will buy you a small house with a small yard. Or a fixer upper. It certainly won't buy you anything on the water. If you go Downeast (Washington County), you can buy something with a water view for that much. It won't be anything fancy, but it will be okay.
Does that help?

Old 06-13-2018, 02:11 PM

78 posts, read 120,168 times
I just wanted to say HI. It struck me that there are some similarities in our stories! My husband and I are 41/38, no kids, and we moved to Florida from Maine 4 years ago as well, AND want to move back ASAP. You're absolutely right. People down here are crazy pants! It's the heat I think. Makes people lose their marbles.

Anyway, as we plan to move back I'm making a nice long list of things to remind me why we left in the first place, just in case I go back wearing rose tinted glasses. My homesickness for Maine may be clouding reality. Really what I'm doing is working on a toolbox of ways to cope with the things about Maine that I hated. The biggest issue is winter, as I have seasonal depression. That being said, what I miss about Maine is a natural beauty that has no comparison, and a sense of community that I just haven't found anywhere else. I think you'll love Maine.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:52 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suorkaterina View Post
I just wanted to say HI. It struck me that there are some similarities in our stories! My husband and I are 41/38, no kids, and we moved to Florida from Maine 4 years ago as well, AND want to move back ASAP. You're absolutely right. People down here are crazy pants! It's the heat I think. Makes people lose their marbles.

Anyway, as we plan to move back I'm making a nice long list of things to remind me why we left in the first place, just in case I go back wearing rose tinted glasses. My homesickness for Maine may be clouding reality. Really what I'm doing is working on a toolbox of ways to cope with the things about Maine that I hated. The biggest issue is winter, as I have seasonal depression. That being said, what I miss about Maine is a natural beauty that has no comparison, and a sense of community that I just haven't found anywhere else. I think you'll love Maine.
You're really going from one extreme to the other. There is a lot I love about Florida. Endless swimming in the ocean. Warm weather in the traditional winter months. My gripe about Maine is 4:45 am sunrises .. lol. You can't be a late sleeper like me.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
So I will tell you that in southern Maine, or near the coast, $150k will buy you a small house with a small yard. Or a fixer upper. It certainly won't buy you anything on the water. If you go Downeast (Washington County), you can buy something with a water view for that much. It won't be anything fancy, but it will be okay.
Does that help?
Yes, it helped a bit. Thank you. Do you have any specific town or city you would recommend?

Old 06-13-2018, 04:06 PM

Lol. I've been here 4 years. I haven't swam in the ocean once, and I've only been over there twice. I'm an hour away in central FL. I've only been swimming in general a couple times. I miss beautiful rocky coastlines! Lighthouses and hiking and, the whole vibe really. There are three things I will miss about Florida. The best weather ever from October till April, Disney World, and my mother who lives here. That's it.

Actually I'm a late sleeper since I work an evening shift. But I do enjoy a good sunrise =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
You're really going from one extreme to the other. There is a lot I love about Florida. Endless swimming in the ocean. Warm weather in the traditional winter months. My gripe about Maine is 4:45 am sunrises .. lol. You can't be a late sleeper like me.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suorkaterina View Post

Wow, very interesting to read your comment. So you guys already decided you are going back?
We have been talking about it but my husband is hesitating a lot because of cold winter. The reason we ran from Masssachussets to Florida is cold winters but it has been tough in here without family and friends and in general we don't feel like home in here. What part of Florida are you now?

Old 06-13-2018, 04:23 PM

I'd wanted to move to FL since I was a kid. I loathe winter, so I'm the one that is hesitating. My husband however, loathes Florida, all of it. Lol. So we've decided we want to go back, though financially it might take us a while to make it back. But we miss our friends and family and in general, like you, Maine feels like home, where Florida has never felt like home. I'm a little lost without the season changes tbh.

I'm in central FL. Mount Dora. I do wonder if things might have been different if we were near the coast here. We're both from Rockland. We don't see the ocean daily. I don't like not being able to see the ocean every day. Where are you? What part of Maine were you looking at? I can't recommend the mid-coast enough =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLbutterfly View Post
Wow, very interesting to read your comment. So you guys already decided you are going back?
We have been talking about it but my husband is hesitating a lot because of cold winter. The reason we ran from Masssachussets to Florida is cold winters but it has been tough in here without family and friends and in general we don't feel like home in here. What part of Florida are you now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine