Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:57 PM

513 posts, read 896,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
I too was a single mom for most of my kids lives and had to work 2 jobs just to make ends meet. Winters, I worked nights seasonlly in one of Beans call centers and each and every summer I worked nights as a server at the same restaurant. As my kids became old enough to work, they worked in the same restaurant with me, along side me sometimes. It was FUN!

You gotta do what cha' gotta do, when it came to feeding and clothing my 2 kids... I had to work - HARD! It didn't hurt me nor my children, if anything they learned the value of a dollar and that hard work pays off.
Where there is a will there is a way and you certainly stepped up to the plate, and with a very positive attitude. You are so right about how important it is to show your kids the importance of hard work and the value of $$, it doesn't come easy.

I've worked at my job for many years and enjoy it but with any job a vacation is very welcomed. I always find that I am ready to go back and realize how lucky I am to have my job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:03 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineL View Post
I love the company I work for. They offer excellent benefits, decent pay, and are always looking for ways to support the employees. Free Thanksgiving dinner, free flu shots, great discounts at various retail stores, discounts at Sea Dog games, Portland Pirate games, Magic of Christmas at the PSO, and employee discounts on the computer I am typing on. This is just a small sample of what they do for us. I do drive almost an hour to work but it's worth it. Even with the high gas prices. I bought a Honda Civic and I get decent mileage.
Dream job!
Do you mind mentioning what kind of business this company conducts? Very interested to know about the types of local employers that value their employees.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:05 AM

104 posts, read 387,713 times
They develop, manufacture and distribute products and services primarily for veterinary, food and water testing.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:10 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
I work as a teacher, and while we do get some perks, we get NOTHING like what you list above. Some years we get a christmas card. yippee. My brother who is a safety officer at a trash to energy plant gets quarterly bonuses of up to $5K. If it wasn't for the time off, I would not be doing what I do.
LOL, your brother gets bonuses that equal the monthly gross for both of us combined when we work OT.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:42 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,960 times
Quote:
They develop, manufacture and distribute products and services primarily for veterinary, food and water testing.
Thanks Christine. That would not have been my first guess! I didn't know there was such a company in southern Maine.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:43 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
i would love to be a teacher,,however, i wouldnt have the patience, for the dis-respect,
id be sue'd or fired within a week..(i do remeber how we were as students,,,god bless all teachers!!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 12:08 PM

513 posts, read 896,856 times
Quote:
I think I know what company you are talking about just by the description. If it's the same, I've heard good things about them too. It's in southern Maine and in a town that begins with W.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:13 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i would love to be a teacher,,however, i wouldnt have the patience, for the dis-respect,
id be sue'd or fired within a week..(i do remeber how we were as students,,,god bless all teachers!!!!
You mean to tell me that's not just a southern phenomenon?

Old 04-06-2008, 12:17 PM

12 posts, read 59,160 times
Quote:
My son who is soon to graduate college worked there for a summer.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:21 PM

104 posts, read 387,713 times
Yes the city does begin with a "W" - LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine