Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 01:58 PM

55 posts, read 171,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Congratulations! Depending on where you are in Sidney, you're roughly halfway between Augusta and Waterville. You may find that over time, you end up going to one place for some things, and the other for different things. We're on China Lake, east of and not all that far from Sidney as the crow flies, and we've settled into a pattern of getting weekly groceries in Waterville and other "stuff" (every 2-3 months?) at the Sam's in Augusta. And we have a dentist and doctor in Waterville, but most of our medical care is provided in Augusta.

Well, you'll figure out all that stuff.

Welcome to Maine!
Thanks! We will be 12 minutes from the Market Place at Augusta. The welcome is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 08:52 AM

20 posts, read 31,491 times
Default We love it in Augusta!

We relocated here from Southern California in Oct.2017. I love that our nice quiet little neighborhood is close to the downtown, but you would never know it! There is a Hannafords 2 blocks away, Walmart and all the big box stores are within 5 miles. They have a wonderful library, lots of cool shops in the old downtown. The downtown is being revitalized with lots of young folks coming in and restoring old buildings. Several excellent restaurants downtown as well as the chain ones within easy driving distance.
In the summer there is a wonderful Farmer's Market at Mill Park, which moves inside during the winter across from the library. There are lots of events going on, movies in the park, concerts, amazing fireworks on 4th of July...
The only downside has been the first 2 winters we have been here have been brutal! Lots of snow. We have been told that is not how it usually is, but still, it's an eye opener when you get your oil bill for heating. So far this year, spring was late getting here, but it is beautiful if a bit too much rain! My gardens are loving it though :-)
Most everybody we have met here has been super friendly. They even have an Age Friendly group that is helpful for shoveling snow in the winter if you are a senior or disabled...they will bring you buckets of sand for your walkway and driveway.
If you are an artist, the scenery in Maine is amazing, from the lighthouses, to the mountains! Something to photograph or paint all over the place ! If you like antiquing, you will be in heaven!
There were tons of nice homes for sale when we moved here, but I have noticed the prices have gone up since then. Many fixer uppers and vintage houses are available. One thing I found out was there are very few short term rentals if you want to rent while you look for a house. We put all our stuff in storage and stayed in an Air B&B in Hallowell for 2 months. It was the only reasonable place that came furnished and you didn't need to sign a lease. Feel free to write me if you have any questions
Ooops, I see you already found your home in Sidney! Congrats, it's a lovely place !

Last edited by jillkelly; 06-24-2019 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: update!

Old 06-24-2019, 03:01 PM

55 posts, read 171,824 times
Thank you for your the informative information Jill and everyone else. Much appreciated!

Old 06-27-2019, 06:21 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Routes 295 and 95 are very good roads and are priorities for winter plowing. However, if you need to commute even on snow days, the plows can't run often enough to keep the roads safe for high speed travel during snowstorms - it's just coming down too fast, plus it gets dark early in winter. So you can expect long drives with poor visibility and slippery conditions during snowstorms. Especially on the drive home, when you're already tired from putting in a day's work, it's dark, and the headlights are filled with fat snowflakes, and the traction is iffy, and you need to do that for 2 hours (or more) that's going to be hard to endure and fairly risky. If you can stay home on the days it actually snows heavily and work from home, it's another matter, as the main roads will be good within hours of the storm ending, so the next day you're fine.
from someone that's lived in maine for 54 years and the last 25 yrs ive averaged travelling 1000 miles per week in a car....
maine road crews do an excellent job plowing the roads..

THERE WASNT ONE DAY LAST WINTER I DIDNT FEEL SAFE DRIVING …….just go slower..
and I just had all season radials...not winter tires..

yes it snows
yes ….. you have to drive slower...but ...not many days per winter..

risky???????? I never missed a day of work in the winter because of storming..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine