Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:14 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
I am a bit surprised that there is resistance against a Big Box store. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't economic conditions less than desirable in Maine. They why would people be against a merchandiser who can provide jobs and low priced merchandise and in the case of a Super Walmart groceries also. Here in Florida Super Walmarts save me hundreds of dollars a month. We shop almost exclusively there and we have plenty of other places to shop, but because of price we choose Walmart.

It's like Maine has plenty of land, why not build the stores out of the center of town a few miles out. That would save the downtown of a city. Or you may build them in the town center and attract even more shoppers.

We fight Walmarts in Florida near residential developments, but not in open spaces. I was just curious as to why people would want to keep a store out that might save them money.

Mainers, fill me in on this....Thanks! BTW, I am not a mega development urban sprawl supporter. We have enough of that here in Florida.
The big boxes supply low wage jobs and often, very cheap quality merchandise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:30 AM

Walmart sets the wholesale price of the goods they sell. When they approach a manufacturer, they demand x number of units at y price. The manufacturer can either refuse to do business with them and set their own MSRP, or they are forced to outsource overseas to meet the targeted goal of x and y.

This has resulted in the amazing amount of merchandise being made cheaply in China. The quality comes down and companies that spent decades and generations building their reputations, sell out for the bottom line.

Basically, they cheapen the Brand and the Name that their founders worked so hard and long to achieve in the American Experience. Companies like Huffy, Hoover and Vlasic are just a few to go down this road. Many are sorry they have.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
walmart cancelled their plans to build a super center off the turnpike in Lewiston. They still have the distribution center. Along with their cancellation there was the cancellation of several other stores that were following Walmart.

Hey, I thought Malls killed the downtown.....not Walmart. I remember as a kid walking downtown with my mom to buy school clothes and shoes, then cam the malls....it wasn't long before all the mom and pops died out.

Walmart didn't come around......at least in Ma for another 15-20 years. And at least walmart does in fact sell stuff cheap. In an economy like this....I don't know how we'd survive with out them right now....which I know...is the way they want it.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:10 PM

8 posts, read 24,900 times
With diesel pushing $5-6 per gallon or more, Wally Mart can't afford to keep their margins low and that 'warehouse on wheels' running, and the cost of cheap goods being shipped across the ocean on diesel-burning freighters is going to cost more, too.

Anybody see the film "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price"? All the pro-Wal-Mart bandwagoners might see that empire in a different light...it certainly opened my eyes.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:30 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,411 times
I guess I have to disagree with the logic of cheap material, and low wages. Low wages beget low wages.

Here in Florida most all the jobs, or a vast majority are service industry or tourism related. Neither of those industries have a healthy pay scale. The people who work at those jobs need inexpensive or as some would say cheap goods. These individuals cannot afford brand name items at mall prices. When a large section of American industry went abroad, stores like Walmart were needed because people just didn't make the wages they once did. This upcoming generation is forecast to have a lower standard than the past generation. It's not their fault, its a global economy. If two products are basically identical, I am not going to pay a brand name price.

I will give you an example. I am shopping for a mattress and box springs. I called 3 local furniture stores in Calais and Machias. None of them could beat the price of a Maine surplus store. I tried to negotiate with the local people, but they would not budge. They know what they need to make on a mattress to make a living and I can't fault them for that. But why would I give $100 more just to buy a comparative mattress from a local business? I'm not, it is pretty plain and simple. I always support local business when possible. But I can't afford to support them when significant savings to me are involved.

Big box stores are a sign of the times. I know that almost no mom and pop stores exist within 5 miles of a Walmart if they compete with Walmart. It is a shame, and Walmart does beat up their suppliers for good prices.

By the way, I had one of those Chinese Hoover vacuums, it caught fire. They did however replace it with a better model, even though it was not in warranty. It is very difficult for American companies to compete with foreign made goods, the main reason being a lower standard of living in those countries that they accept as a fact of life. It is impossible for us to compete in that kind of situation.

I don't know the answer to this one.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:35 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
The only time I shop at Wal-Mart is when I'm looking for cheap plactic storage bins and picnic ware for camping. If we go to Walmart once or twice a year that's it. I find a majority of their merchandise to be inferior quality junk. (which is just what I want for camping stuff.) The last time I was stocking up on plastic plates, acrylic glasses, plastic storage tubs, cheap dinner plates and the like the girl at the checkout thought I was buying that stuff for a new apartment . I didn't say anything but I just couldn't imagine anyone actually using that junk as everyday dinnerware.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:11 PM

Actually, a lot of lower income families will travel an hour or two, to Walmart for a "Day on the town." This often coincides with the first week of the month.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:46 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Actually, a lot of lower income families will travel an hour or two, to Walmart for a "Day on the town." This often coincides with the first week of the month.
We do this. We're on a fixed income and budget a "trip into town" for a number of things to last the month. It works well for us to get all these items in one trip. We also do the majority of grocery shopping at the same time at Hannaford's.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:07 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
This rumor has been going around for a while. if its true, they haven't told the city about it or the contractor doing the foundation.
The problem is that nobody is doing much of anything on the site. This morning there was a medium sized front end loader moving around, and crossing Myrick street toward the expansion of the Home Depot side, and one medium backhoe working in conjunction with the loader.

If they were going to do a foundation, they would have poured the concrete as soon as the snow was off the ground. But nothing has happened since shut down last winter, aside from the delivery of a small amount of drainage piping.

I heard today that the Chamber of Commerce has claimed that the Super Walmart project is back "on", but I am not sure how much the Chamber of Commerce in Ellsworth really knows about much of anything. Anyone's guess is as good as anyone elses, but compared to the development of Lowe's last year, Super Walmart, if it is on, is probably scheduled to open sometime around the end of 2010, if at all.

Once ground is broken these stores go up pretty quick, and this one is going so slowly that it sure does look like the project is on life support, if in fact it isn't already buried under the enormous pile of crushed stone.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:09 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
I actually love the "cheap" acrylic glasses they sell at Wal-Mart. I got some old fashioned glasses and some fine acrylic stemware to go with our cheap merlot we take camping with us. They look just like nice glass stemware but we don't have to worry about breaking them. I like crackers and cheese with some merlot during "cocktail hour" while camping. This is usually followed by a second bottle of merlot or some selected micro brews. If we happen to be off the beaten path too far we substitute with paper cups, cheeze whiz, and a case of coors....it's all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine