Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2021, 11:36 AM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
I actually agree with you on all of these points, except that I've never driven on the residential streets. Thanks for listing these advantages of Ellsworth. My only beef with Ellsworth (and it's a fairly big one) is traffic, which was still a factor in late October 2019 when I was last there. I'm wondering how year-round residents feel about Ellsworth and the tourist season.
I in turn don't disagree that the traffic coming down Route 1A from Bangor can be pretty bad. But if you live in town, you don't necessarily have to be on that road, and the in-town streets usually aren't so bad from my visits. So if you're just driving around town, rather than trying to get to Mt Desert Island, you're good.

Similarly, Route 1 along the coast can have some traffic - the only place that *really* stands out in my mind is Wiscasset, which can have bumper to bumper traffic creeping along for miles there on either side of the bridge - that's really bad. Camden can be a little thick, but I've never had to sit there, just show a little patience for a few extra minutes on the main street in the middle of the day, and depending on where you are and are going, I can go around the main choke-point from the neighborhoods.

It's similar in my town in Mass, which gets a fair number of tourists - some residents really complain about the visitors, but to be honest, it's again not some place where you need to sit stuck in a traffic jam for some extended period, so I don't get real worked up about it, I can always get where I need to go without anything too onerous. I actually like the fact that the town gets visitors - makes it more dynamic and interesting, less insular. Retail and restaurant owners definitely like the extra customers. And tourists come here because it's nice - so it's not a bad place to live all in all.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-06-2021 at 11:45 AM..

Old 09-06-2021, 11:45 AM

605 posts, read 623,396 times
Have we discussed the BrightBuilt Sidekick? I love this house. It looks just about perfect. How much do these houses cost?

https://www.brightbuilthome.com/sidekick1

Old 09-06-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Have we discussed the BrightBuilt Sidekick? I love this house. It looks just about perfect. How much do these houses cost?

https://www.brightbuilthome.com/sidekick1
BrightBuilt has beautiful and clever designs - modern and efficient layouts but with an outside appearance that's classic New England. They use high quality materials and they do a lot of net-zero work as well for people who are eco-or otherwise energy conscious.

I don't recall just how I looked into them, but I did make some inqueries a couple of years back, and they were too rich for my blood.

For people who like BrightBuilt, you might also look at Unity Homes in New Hampshire:
https://unityhomes.com/

And Ecocor, also out of Maine
https://ecocor.us/

All three of these home builders are targeting broadly similar designs and price points. They have some small, space-efficient and energy efficient designs, but they won't come cheap - more than I can afford anyway. I just like to appreciate their designs and look for inspiration.

P.S. One place I haven't looked into too much yet but that may have potential for building a house at a more reasonable price than the above is KBS Modular, who have factories in Paris and South Oxford, Maine. They can build both box-like modules connected by "marriage walls" as well as panelized modules - the latter provide more layout flexibility. You can use stock plans or bring a custom design, and I believe they have some in-house design ability as well.
https://www.kbsbuildersinc.com/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-06-2021 at 12:50 PM..

Old 09-06-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
All three of these home builders are targeting broadly similar designs and price points. They have some small, space-efficient and energy efficient designs, but they won't come cheap

There is a real need for a designer and builder to come up with affordable, energy-efficient small houses. I still think that the way for buyers to save money and builders to make a profit is to build a cluster of 5 to 10 houses on an attractive 10-acre lot. I think there would be an instant market for this. I would be first in line. How to make this happen??

A big part of the reason for small houses is to downsize and simply life both practically and financially. Small, well-designed houses for a niche market of wealthy buyers are a step in the wrong direction. We need Volkshäuser---houses for the masses---like Volkswagens.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
There is a real need for a designer and builder to come up with affordable, energy-efficient small houses. I still think that the way for buyers to save money and builders to make a profit is to build a cluster of 5 to 10 houses on an attractive 10-acre lot. I think there would be an instant market for this. I would be first in line. How to make this happen??

A big part of the reason for small houses is to downsize and simply life both practically and financially. Small, well-designed houses for a niche market of wealthy buyers are a step in the wrong direction. We need Volkshäuser---houses for the masses---like Volkswagens.
I am surprised that you don't see more developments of any kind being done in Maine, to be honest - you do save money on the land when you buy a bigger property and subdivide it. I do see some places here and there where an investor has bought a large property and subdivided it and put in a road, but then they don't stick their neck out and build anything.

I think you'd need to find a reputable, honest developer who is interested in such a project, and connect with some prospective buyers who would be willing commit to the project early with a deposit and contract - that would reduce the risk for the developer.

Also good not to get *too* ambitious about energy efficiency - better than code, but not net zero, and can have people use the same brand (and ideally models) of e.g. windows, doors, appliances etc - can negotiate lower prices on building materials and fixtures - that's standard developer stuff. Speaking of which, lots of 55+ communities build small duplex homes, which is another way to save money - keep the garages separating the two units and you won't hear the neighbor.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-07-2021 at 08:13 AM..

Old 09-10-2021, 08:16 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,760 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, there is a LOT of push-back for simple, low-cost designs these days. I hear people complain about the cost of housing, yet there seems to be a complete disconnect with what constitutes low cost. We built a modular in 2019, moved in last year. It is a 1500sf ranch-style house on a heated/insulated 1500sf walk-out basement. 3000sq of living space. 2x6 walls and roor trusses. 2x10 floor joists. We ordered lots of internal options, like 9' ceilings (house and basement), 72" tall windows throughout, extra windows, extra lighting. upgraded carpeting. Upgraded to best furnace, high R-val insulation in walls/ceilings, finished stairwell to basement, yada, yada. We went with a simple design to eliminate problems with complex roofs; been there, done that. Total cost was $176K; the house was $105K; the rest was infrastructure.

When people see it, they call it a double-wide. If people ask if it came with granite countertops, we said no. It doesn't matter to them that it came through two severe storms, one storm dropped 8" in 45 minutes. It cratered a 160'x60' wide driveway, but there wasn't a single drop of water anywhere in the house. No missing shingles, siding. It also weathered two zero degree (or below) winters with $180/mo heating costs.

It doesn't have granite countertops...end of interest. Until society changes their value systems about what constitutes 'value', nothing...unfortunately...will change.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:39 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Unfortunately, there is a LOT of push-back for simple, low-cost designs these days. I hear people complain about the cost of housing, yet there seems to be a complete disconnect with what constitutes low cost. We built a modular in 2019, moved in last year. It is a 1500sf ranch-style house on a heated/insulated 1500sf walk-out basement. 3000sq of living space. 2x6 walls and roor trusses. 2x10 floor joists. We ordered lots of internal options, like 9' ceilings (house and basement), 72" tall windows throughout, extra windows, extra lighting. upgraded carpeting. Upgraded to best furnace, high R-val insulation in walls/ceilings, finished stairwell to basement, yada, yada. We went with a simple design to eliminate problems with complex roofs; been there, done that. Total cost was $176K; the house was $105K; the rest was infrastructure.
I bought a steel building kit, originally marketed to be an airplane hanger. 40' X 60' with 12' eaves and 14' peak, 2400 sq ft total for $16k. The steel-reinforced foundation to set it on cost me $10k. I hired a crane to lift and set in place the girders, $150. That gave me the shell. I hired a well driller to put in a well, and an electrician to install the power pole and meter. The rest I did myself. It is a 'barndominium' style, one large open room with high ceilings. I sprayed 2 inches of spray-on urethane foam on the walls and ceiling, then I hung 9" fiberglass batting and finished it with a light woodgrain paneling and dark stained trim. The fittings are all black wrought iron looking. I did the kitchen cabinets myself, Closets are free standing wardrobes, I thought that if they were all movable, then if the wife wants to move then in 10 years to change the floorplan it would be an option for her. I think the total cost was around $75k [before we added solar power and battery bank].

We heat with a woodstove, that heats water, which circulates through a thermalbank and then circulates through the radiant heated floor and towel racks.

Quote:
... When people see it, they call it a double-wide. If people ask if it came with granite countertops, we said no. It doesn't matter to them that it came through two severe storms, one storm dropped 8" in 45 minutes. It cratered a 160'x60' wide driveway, but there wasn't a single drop of water anywhere in the house. No missing shingles, siding. It also weathered two zero degree (or below) winters with $180/mo heating costs.

It doesn't have granite countertops...end of interest. Until society changes their value systems about what constitutes 'value', nothing...unfortunately...will change.
Good observation.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:23 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I bought a steel building kit, originally marketed to be an airplane hanger. 40' X 60' with 12' eaves and 14' peak, 2400 sq ft total for $16k. The steel-reinforced foundation to set it on cost me $10k. I hired a crane to lift and set in place the girders, $150. That gave me the shell. I hired a well driller to put in a well, and an electrician to install the power pole and meter. The rest I did myself. It is a 'barndominium' style, one large open room with high ceilings. I sprayed 2 inches of spray-on urethane foam on the walls and ceiling, then I hung 9" fiberglass batting and finished it with a light woodgrain paneling and dark stained trim. The fittings are all black wrought iron looking. I did the kitchen cabinets myself, Closets are free standing wardrobes, I thought that if they were all movable, then if the wife wants to move then in 10 years to change the floorplan it would be an option for her. I think the total cost was around $75k [before we added solar power and battery bank].

We heat with a woodstove, that heats water, which circulates through a thermalbank and then circulates through the radiant heated floor and towel racks.

Good observation.
'Barndominiums' are another type of really outstanding, and highly under-rated structure. They are slowly rising from the noise, and gaining interest and acceptance. Yours sounds amazing.

Before we put down the modular, we built a pole barn on the property with the dream of living in it. Seems 'Time' had other plans for us. As in, we ran out of it before all heck broke loose with a number of 'events of interest'. FWIW, the sinking of the Titanic is an 'event of interest'. In hindsight, I wish we had put in 12' eaves; we went with 10', and that seemed like a good decision at the time...

Regardless, now that we're up here, we finally have time to repurpose it, so we're happy. Congrats on your build. A nice house on beautiful acreage is a marvelous accomplishment- especially in the forests up there.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:36 PM

Default Update on homes I visited recently

On a trip to Maine this past week I took a look at the following properties (exterior only) mentioned previously in this thread:

(1) Verona Island: https://my.flexmls.com/KarenKeuper/s...07109847000000 A nice, well-kept property on a corner lot. The neighborhood is quite nice. The area to the right of the house, with a deck, gas tank, garage, brown fence, and garbage cans, isn't particularly attractive but I guess it's serviceable. The landscaping would be as easy as it gets. A concern I had was whether there would be noise from route 1, one block away. In fact it was quiet here mid day. I think this house is worth seeing, given that it's well laid out and in move-in condition. The proximity to Belfast, Ellsworth, and Bangor is an advantage of the location. The property tax is just $964.

(2) 36 Washington Street, Ellsworth: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M42715-50465 Quite similar to the house above. One block from busy route 1 in the LL Bean area, but this house is in a quiet area and I couldn't really hear the traffic from route 1. Attractive surrounding neighborhood. One block down the street is the town pier. This house is on a corner lot on a steep hill. The hill means there's not a lot of usable lawn and mowing could be difficult. There's not a lot of counter space in this house due to the washer and dryer being in the kitchen---to my eye those look oversize?

If I were ready to move I would consider both of these houses. They're just about the best small houses I've seen in two years of frequent searches online.

(3) Broughman Builders, Belfast: I stopped by their lot on route 1, where they have several modular houses on display. I was able to see the interiors as they have ample windows. They are definitely attractive homes inside and out. I don't have any prices as there is no sales office at that location; they did "look" expensive and luxurious, more than I personally need in a modular house.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:29 PM

30,500 posts, read 16,206,257 times
Thanks for the personal evaluations.

The Verona Island one says pending, continue to show.

Of those 2, I prefer the Ellsworth one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: