Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:14 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,740 times

Advertisements

Any season as long as I can be in Maine! Doesn't matter to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 03:03 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
It's going to be lovely tomorrow morning. ;-)

Old 12-31-2016, 03:54 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
I do like them, all, but probably spring is my fave.
Nobody can enjoy and appreciate spring like people who live in Maine (or someplace similar).

Old 12-31-2016, 09:33 PM

565 posts, read 934,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I do like them, all, but probably spring is my fave.
Nobody can enjoy and appreciate spring like people who live in Maine (or someplace similar).

Funny, I like fall for the same reason you like spring. When it comes I am so happy its no longer hot out. I lived down south for 20 years, I never got used to the heat, you can only take off so many clothes. During the winter here you can easily control the temp, and when outside just add more layers till warm. Good socks and a hat go a really long ways.

The last 2 summers really got to me. I joked with the mrs about moving to the north pole.
I dont much like the vitamin D deficiency of winter. I try to take supplements for it, but they are not nearly as good as the real thing.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:37 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I like spring.... spring is the bridge/transition to summer

spring is after a winter that's usually worn out its welcome..

it warms up....no more heavy boots and winter coats, no more shoveling the driveway or worrying about slipping on ice

no more riding on slippery roads.....

no more snow/storm panics at the grocery stores/ or power outages from a nor'easter (we just lost power 16 hours from this last storm)

burning less oil, than in the winter, and no longer warming up the car for 20 minutes before taking off to work

it warms up.... the ice melts from the lakes and ponds..
you start to see more wild-life in the fields...
the ducks and geese returns,,,as do the tree frogs,,,the days are longer and seem brighter

the flowers are poking up thru- folks are out on the weekends tending to their lawns, gardens and flower beds

fishing is back!!!! after april 1st!! if not sooner if ice is out those of us who fish,,,,love this date!

grills come out on the deck,,,we are "grilling again" (yes, some grill all yr round but most don't)

we put away the snowblowers and plows and get the lawnmowers going, boats and atv's going/ serviced,

you see cows outside of barns,,,theyve been inside most of the winter.....
and you can smell those cows from roadsides - from the farmers spreading their "fertilizer"

yes, spring is where the doldrums of a long winter is finally over,,,its also a rejuvenation of life- you see fawns, and young moose, the robins and other birds returns,,,building their nests

people are opening camps if they have one- this is a family tradition is many families,,,go "up north" to open a camp or cottage that's weathered the winter- with good spirits,,,knowing whats coming,,,,summer- and summer is where we can retreat to our favorite places like camps,,,or beaches, or family gatherings

spring is also a time where thousands and thousands,,,,will go back to their golf course they like and see the other friends and members they haven't seen for months and hope the older fellows "made it thru the winter"
for those that don't play golf,,,,,,this doesn't mean much,,,,but for those that like playing this is huge...
we will raise an adult beverage and "cheer" in the coming season

spring is also a time to work on projects around the house,,,,from repairing decks to painting, to landscaping
and again to gardening.....which,,if you go to a home depot or lowe's on a spring weekend,,the place is packed,,,,,, from flowers/plants to rocks, to driveway sealers, to lawnmowers....

spring clean up also happens,,,,,from "opening up the house" to putting what you don't want anymore beside the road,,,many towns have a "spring clean up day" they will come and pick these items up and bring to a landfill
from couches to sinks,,,,to whatever you don't want....and this spawns the "pickers" to come out and eyeball the free refuse/recycling opportunities

in spring,,,you see kids riding their bikes,,playing outside......you see motorcycles,,,, that cant (or shouldn't) be ridden on winter roads...you see classic cars coming out of the garages or storage
you see folks out walking, jogging, running, walking their dogs...
tough to do in the winter when the roads are more narrow

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 01-01-2017 at 05:55 AM..

Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 AM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
When I was a kid I always liked the first day of summer because how long the sun stayed up, did not like the first day of winter because of the 3:45 sunset time.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:08 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
There are only four seasons for me that are the most lovely: spring, summer, fall, and winter. My experiences is that the other seasons are just not worth taking the time to visit.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:01 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I've only seen Maine in the winter but I'd love to see all of the seasons, especially fall. There's something about sitting on that ski chair lift freezing your buns off and feeling the skies on the snow for that first terrifying run of the season at Sugarloaf. I have to have my snow fix and there just isn't enough here to satisfy my lust. Maine is beautiful covered in snow. We did come up one year in a snow drought. That was disappointing, but we were still in Maine eating those lobsters.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:49 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Ah, I love Summer. Gimme dat global warmin', 100 degrees and palm trees be warm enough for me.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:23 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Ah, I love Summer. Gimme dat global warmin', 100 degrees and palm trees be warm enough for me.
You need to move to Pennsylvania. You can have super-saturated 103% humidity to go with your 95 degreeF temps too. I used to tell the kids in the summer that if it got to 95, we'd go to the Movies. And, we always did in August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: