Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:42 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,803 times

Advertisements

yeah...heard that. Sucks. I liked the guy...seemed pretty level-headed and on top of things. He'll be missed on Sunday mornings..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:49 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Me too! But I am willing to listen to t he other side; we all engage in some behaviors that "endanger" us; it is true that I wouldnt want to see laws passed to restrict the freedom to eat, or other behaviors that might be in that category (smoking, drinking, rock climbing, any extreme sport etc).....I am not sure where I think the line is between "Live Free or Die" and some regulations and limitations to protect individuals and their families from their own pursuit of happiness.

As a society we had a hard time even letting Mrs. Schiavo die with dignity, so I am not convinced that the SOL theory of liability reduction would ever work and I don't think it appropriate.

So I am willing to consider others points of view.....I guess education is the best intervention. Please drive safely.
I always liked that saying. I believe it too.

I belong to a Wed. nite dinner club with my riding friends for 5 years now. We all live in a year round riding area here in NorCal. We all met and rode BMW K1200LT's then. Now the restaurant parking lot may have 5-10 different makes. And most of my friends have a stable of 3 or more bikes in their garage. Many of us take motorcycle safety classes regularly and go to track day when we can. We all ride everything now and have different levels of risk with our gear. Some will always be ATGATT. Some never wear riding pants, just jeans, but everything else. Most people I know wear full face or flip-up helmets. A couple wear half helmets, a couple others wear 3/4 helmets. And some have been seen wearing shorts and sandles. None of that bothers me. This is a free country and no man can tell another what to do.

What bothers me is when they are not alone on that bike. Any bike is a different animal when it's two people. The extra weight and space of that extra rider on the bike will handle and respond differently. I've done plenty of two-up riding. My son and I have done several 1000 mile days together. So when I see the passengers not wearing a good helmet, yet alone no good riding jacket, gloves or boots, it makes me wonder if they know something I don't. No shorts please. Just keep some used gear around in different sizes for all different riders. There are many places to look for this stuff on the net. That's what I would tell someone if they asked me anyway. Not that anyone would. I think we all learn by example.

Here's pics. of some of my quiet rides over the years. Three LT's (Luxury Touring), a yellow GS (dualsport) and a GT. Two were totalled by me.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:07 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I always liked that saying. I believe it too.

I belong to a Wed. nite dinner club with my riding friends for 5 years now. We all live in a year round riding area here in NorCal. We all met and rode BMW K1200LT's then. Now the restaurant parking lot may have 5-10 different makes. And most of my friends have a stable of 3 or more bikes in their garage. Many of us take motorcycle safety classes regularly and go to track day when we can. We all ride everything now and have different levels of risk with our gear. Some will always be ATGATT. Some never wear riding pants, just jeans, but everything else. Most people I know wear full face or flip-up helmets. A couple wear half helmets, a couple others wear 3/4 helmets. And some have been seen wearing shorts and sandles. None of that bothers me. This is a free country and no man can tell another what to do.

What bothers me is when they are not alone on that bike. Any bike is a different animal when it's two people. The extra weight and space of that extra rider on the bike will handle and respond differently. I've done plenty of two-up riding. My son and I have done several 1000 mile days together. So when I see the passengers not wearing a good helmet, yet alone no good riding jacket, gloves or boots, it makes me wonder if they know something I don't. No shorts please. Just keep some used gear around in different sizes for all different riders. There are many places to look for this stuff on the net. That's what I would tell someone if they asked me anyway. Not that anyone would. I think we all learn by example.

Here's pics. of some of my quiet rides over the years. Three LT's (Luxury Touring), a yellow GS (dualsport) and a GT. Two were totalled by me.

Great bikes RMoore007! My first official all road bike was a BMW K75 I bought back in 1993. I had never owned a true road bike before that and always ran converted motocrossers, street legal enduros, or dual sports. I had a 1974 Can-Am 125 motocrosser that could beat any road bike or car from 0-80 mph. I beat everyone I ever raced in short off the line drags! That thing was a rocket . I used to make the three telephone pole length bet ...and never lost. Sure it would top out at 80 and I would get creamed after that but you could not catch me in a short race. A lot of guys, especially in the muscle cars got really ticked off when I blew them away off the line.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
i use to enjoy riding without a helmet on a summers day,,(til you got hit by a junebug)

Old 06-13-2008, 07:50 PM

When I visited Maine a couple years ago on my bike, while in Dover, I went to Sebec Lake (nine miles round trip) without my helmet on. It was fun. I can see why people do it. I could hear my speakers more easily while I cranked up the music too. It's exhilarating but a bit scary for me. I could probably see myself living in Maine and popping out to the store for something without my helmet on as it's only 2.5 miles to go get beer. But I don't know.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Speakers on a motorcycle?!?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Oh yeah! I hear the Goldwings going by all the time with that good C&W cranked. If it had loud pipes even the rider couldn't hear it!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
If you notice the large bikes that I posted before, they are 1200 cc luxury touring bikes. I had four speakers, six disc cd changer, reverse gear, radar detecter, gps, sat. radio, ipod, high intensity lighting (HID), adjustable windscreen, one touch cruise control, alarm, automatic centerstand, just to name a few. Not a bike, a two wheeled car.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:08 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Not a bike, a two wheeled car.
There's truth to that but at least you've only two wheels. What I don't get are these jaspers that pull trailers. If you want 4 wheels, a windshield, a radio and cupholders you can get a nice Mustang GT or Saab convertible. And then you won't need a helmet either.

Then you have the big tricycles. I was bustin' a guys chops at the Chicago Boilermaker's picnic last year, he showed up on one of those big trikes, he's a retired fella like me. Anyway I said when you're young you can't wait to go from 3 wheels to 2, then you get old and burned out and go back to 3. While in Sweetwater Tennessee I met some retired Lesbians who travel all around on big trikes and learned there's this retired Lesbian tricycle subculture out there. Ain't that a hoot?

I drove a Moto Guzzi ElDorado all over the place when I was young; no windshield, no radio, no nuthin. Tied our camping gear and clothes on a rack and the gas tank. But we were young, know what I mean?

Regards

Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
There's truth to that but at least you've only two wheels. What I don't get are these jaspers that pull trailers. If you want 4 wheels, a windshield, a radio and cupholders you can get a nice Mustang GT or Saab convertible. And then you won't need a helmet either.

Then you have the big tricycles. I was bustin' a guys chops at the Chicago Boilermaker's picnic last year, he showed up on one of those big trikes, he's a retired fella like me. Anyway I said when you're young you can't wait to go from 3 wheels to 2, then you get old and burned out and go back to 3. While in Sweetwater Tennessee I met some retired Lesbians who travel all around on big trikes and learned there's this retired Lesbian tricycle subculture out there. Ain't that a hoot?
I drove a Moto Guzzi ElDorado all over the place when I was young; no windshield, no radio, no nuthin. Tied our camping gear and clothes on a rack and the gas tank. But we were young, know what I mean?

Regards
Dykes on Trykes perhaps??? Just a guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine