Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:52 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times

Advertisements

Trouble with the Great Lakes influence theory is Portland sees many more storms from the coastal influence than inland does. Some years this precip is mostly rain or ice, last year it was snow.Lots of it! We had snow on the ground until May this spring. Keep an eye out for very early October snow this fall, and much colder tempuratures than last winter in general. I believe cold will be the big problem this winter not the snowfall. We could see -25F for weeks even on the coast this winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 01:59 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Trouble with the Great Lakes influence theory is Portland sees many more storms from the coastal influence than inland does. Some years this precip is mostly rain or ice, last year it was snow.Lots of it! We had snow on the ground until May this spring. Keep an eye out for very early October snow this fall, and much colder tempuratures than last winter in general. I believe cold will be the big problem this winter not the snowfall. We could see -25F for weeks even on the coast this winter.
Within the context of comparing Maine weather patterns to Connecticut however. Keep in mind that Ct does not get the 'coastal influence' but very rarely. Ct gets the majority of it's patterns from the Great lakes.

As you mentioned Portland being on the extreme Southern edge of Maine, only gets some of the Great lakes weather. Maine also gets the 'coastal influence', and it gets the cold stuff blowing down from up North. Which accoutns for us being slightly cooler than Ct.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:19 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Within the context of comparing Maine weather patterns to Connecticut however. Keep in mind that Ct does not get the 'coastal influence' but very rarely. Ct gets the majority of it's patterns from the Great lakes.

As you mentioned Portland being on the extreme Southern edge of Maine, only gets some of the Great lakes weather. Maine also gets the 'coastal influence', and it gets the cold stuff blowing down from up North. Which accoutns for us being slightly cooler than Ct.
GotCha!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:31 AM

64 posts, read 149,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Welcome!

We were living in Ct, before we moved to Maine.

We lived in Norwich.

We have really enjoyed our move to Maine.

In our experience moving to Maine has been a big drop in cost-of-living.

Good luck.
Thank you so much I'm sorry for my late reply, but things have been a little hectic here lately. What part of Maine did you move to? I'm glad that everything worked out for you

Old 07-31-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmichelle28CT View Post
Thank you so much I'm sorry for my late reply, but things have been a little hectic here lately. What part of Maine did you move to? I'm glad that everything worked out for you
We live in Argyle Maine. [just North of Bangor, Freeway exit 199]

Though the natural wilderness beauty and the economics of any 'unorganized township' is about the same. [which amounts to the majority of Maine]

Old 08-02-2008, 02:39 PM

73 posts, read 148,249 times
My daughters' fiancee goes to Rhode Island, CT, and Ma. for car auctions. He is a general manager for a Jaguar dealership. I live outside the Portland area in the Sebago Lake region. There are some nice spots to rent and the market is competetive. There are houses to rent with lease option to buy along with apartments. If you won't have a car to get around while he is gone then you will want to be within a bus route. Good luck in your search. I have friends who live in Ct. and you are right about it being expensive in certain areas.
Sue

Old 08-03-2008, 05:08 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
$40,000 a year won't get you far in Maine either I'm afraid. Since your fiance is going to be commuting to CT you will probably need to live in the Southern part of Maine. This is also the most expensive part of Maine too. Most housing in Southern Maine will start in the $200,000 range and go up from there. Rent will cost you $1000 a month for anything decent and you'll most likely have to pay heating costs on top of that. That's nearly half of your fiance's income just in rent and fuel. Most all of the schools in Southern Maine are very good so there is no problem there.
If you buy or rent a house you will have to be willing to shovel snow or hire someone to plow you out since you will be alone most of the time.
Shoveling is fun the first time, though about the 10th storm you just don't want to do it anymore and you still have two months yet to go.
If your fiance is willing to drive a couple of extra hours further north you would do much better in terms of affordability.
You have to remember that especially this winter fuel is going to be a killer. The average house uses three 275 gallon tanks of fuel for the winter months. That fuel this winter will cost you over $4,000. Four thousand dollars is a lot to come up with in the middle of the winter on top of rent,electric,insurances, car payments, food, gas, clothing,etc. You'll be lucky to have enough left over to rent a DVD! Sorry to be discouraging but that's just the way it is around here these days.
Hope the $40K isn't the norm .. we are putting so much away to be able to move asap and are living on substantially less than that here. We have not budgeted anywhere near that amount annually for when we are in Eastport.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:26 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
You can live comfortably on much less than $40k in many parts of Maine. A lot of people don't make that much a year here, own homes, good vehicles, etc.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:27 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You can live comfortably on much less than $40k in many parts of Maine. A lot of people don't make that much a year here, own homes, good vehicles, etc.
Thanks, Robin. That's what I thought from other posters info.. then saw $40K and panicked... I'm better now!

Old 08-03-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I agree.

We have lived in other areas where $40k/year was barely scrapping by, if you kept your head above water at all.

Here it is doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine