Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,342,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
in short becouse the parents dont make them work.or cant make them work.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post

It's weird. Parents work like dogs to give kids "everything" but they aren't giving them strong work ethics and the very thing most kids want most.....time with Mom and Dad. They work so that they can afford to fill every waking moment of their child's time with a toy or an activity.

As kids we spent hours outside doin' nothin' and as teens we worked 20+ hours a week, went to school, ate dinner together as a family and did homework. Looking back it doesn't seem so bad.
I was home for my kids when they were little, but when they started to say, "When I grow up I want to be a.... " started to scare us into thinking " We have to be able to provide them with a college dream to full fill when the day comes. We work to make it possible for us to say, Okay, we can help, instead of saying, we can't afford that for you.

As far as "stuff" I have been up front and honest about "things" being costly and that if they want toys etc they have to save their money for that.

They don't need need it, then we won't buy buy it.

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 10-07-2008 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: I can't slow down and type right.. sorry folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 06:59 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I'm asking on this thread because folks mention the decline of teens and seeing the "HELP WANTED" all over the area.:
And we've heard for two years around here that no-one can find a job in Maine. There are NO jobs to be had in Maine. Don't move to Maine! As I've always said, there is work for anyone who really wants to work!

I also agree that kids need to be kids and enjoy their extra-curricular activities, stay up on their school work, etc. I just also believe that when they want STUFF, they need to be taught that nothing in life is free, and what you work for, you appreciate more. Wow! That was my mother talking!!

For example, a teen being able to drive is a priviledge. It's only right that they pitch in for the extra expenses of car payments, fuel and insurance. They may not pay for ALL the expenses themselves, but showing the willingness to work for what they want can easily be rewarded by parents. I like the idea of a 50/50 arrangement for teens. You come up with half with diligent work efforts, and I'll provide the other half. That way, they're being responsible, and we're still loving parents who enjoy giving to our kids. I call that a win/win.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:24 AM

443 posts, read 2,137,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I see all over and talked to some area business and they mentioned they are having problems with being short staffed. Teens arean't holding down after school jobs.

I know when I was a teen in the 80's, it was hard to be a teen finding a great part time job because all teens had them.
Now they can have a huge pick of the litter.

Where are they?
Have our standards changed?
Are todays parents telling kids dont worry I'll take care of that?
Peachie,

My kids are not teens yet, but when they are my husband and I don't want them working during the school year. We want them to focus on school work and secondly sports if they are still interested in playing. I'm not saying one or the other is right or wrong and I am sure there are great kids out there who could do both but this is just our thought on this!!!

Last edited by sfw1979; 10-07-2008 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: add

Old 10-07-2008, 07:54 AM

1,670 posts, read 4,374,410 times
Where are they?

-> Sitting at home eating cheese doodles, drinking soda, playing video games, texting, or lurking the Internet and putting dumb things on MySpace etc.

Have our standards changed?

-> Yes, generally speaking kids today are lazier than ever. Pardon my harshness, but I see teenage girls dressing like sluts, and boys dressing like they're in gangs. Very dumb...I never saw any of that when I was a teen back in the 80s.

Are todays parents telling kids dont worry I'll take care of that?

-> Seems to be the case. A lot of today's youth have an 'entitlement' attitude and a lot of parents aren't willing to put their foot down and say NO

Old 10-07-2008, 03:39 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,432,292 times
Awww...c'mon now, our parents said that about us; their parents said that about them and I'm sure our kids will say the same thing about the next generation.
Which makes me think, if this generation is labeled gen x, what are we going to call the next generation?

Old 10-07-2008, 03:41 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
Maybe "Generation X2"?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Our 18 year old son, is today up in Loring going through Job Corps.

During the summer when he was 16, his mother and I each took him around gathering job apps. He filled them out [with our assistance to make sure that he understood what each question was asking], and he delivered them all. He applied for a job at every business in Old Town along Stillwater Avenue, from the post office to the freeway. And then every business between Stillwater avenue and the Trading Post.

He did this again during his 17th summer.

He was employed briefly by a General Contractor in Old Town [because the contractor was my friend], but he was let go as the contractor had relatives he had to hire instead.

He was briefly employed by a landscaping company in Bangor on Stillwater across from the concrete company, shoveling snow on weekends. But could not find full time employment there as it is a 'family business'.

Both employers praised his work ethic and energy. Neither became a permanent job. "We will call you when we have too much work for our regular employees, and we can fit you in. but as soon as the crisis is over you will be un-employed again"

He attended the high school's Life Skills / Job Placement class after school. It never included any introductions with employers. He attended that class for a year and he got a certificate from it. The instructor told me that he routinely gets his students into local employment. But he was not able to tell me why he was not able to find a job placement for my son, other than to say that my son has no relatives in the area.

In a year, that son will have completed the Job Corps program.

Will he be able to find employment here?

He still will not have any relatives here. So I am not sure if he will be able to locate a job.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:45 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
Forest, that is a sad thing to hear, for I have SEEN that kid work and know that he is indeed a hard worker and takes direction well also, which can be an issue sometimes.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:52 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Starwalker -

Thanks.

We have heard the same from each of Matt's part-time employers.

So we see a small piece of the bigger picture.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:50 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,584,112 times
Maybe if most of 'em loose the multiple nose rings and tats?

I can not believe the number of kids who will not do an hours work, such as lawn mowing, snow shoveling or wood stacking around these parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine