Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:44 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenAngel View Post
We would want rural, cheap taxes ( oh bother as Winnie the pooh would say who doesn't..lol ) and don't mind commuting. In fact realize we would have to commute to get more of what we would want. Any suggestions, opinions etc would greatly help us. It seems like everything would be costing us so much more then the Midwest.

Safe area, rural , good schools, low taxes are some of our needs. Do you all have any opinions on if you would move to Maine now with the economy, do you like it there, and any other help, advice ,opinions appreciated.
Well, if you've got a job lined up, you've already crossed the biggest hurdle in moving to Maine. The economy here is really bad right now.

Rural? Once you get north of Portland, everything is pretty rural until you get near places like Augusta, L/A, and Bangor.

Cheap taxes? Not in Maine. But compared to California, it'll probably be cheaper.

Safe areas...

Again, once you get north of Portland, you don't have much to worry about. There are some sketchy neighborhoods in Augusta, but some really nice ones too. Personally, I wouldn't move to Lewiston, but there are some really nice areas outside of Lewiston.

Maine has the highest tax burden of all the northern New England states. But if you can make a living here, the quality of life is second to none.

Nice towns within commuting distance of Portland: Falmouth, Yarmouth, Freeport, Brunswick, Topsham, Bowdoinham, Durham. I've heard mixed things about Lisbon and Bath schools, so that might factor into your thinking.

The bright side to the Maine economy being in the tank right now is that if you're looking to buy a home, you've got A LOT to choose from, and no reasonable offer will be refused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 12,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Well, if you've got a job lined up, you've already crossed the biggest hurdle in moving to Maine. The economy here is really bad right now.

Rural? Once you get north of Portland, everything is pretty rural until you get near places like Augusta, L/A, and Bangor.

Cheap taxes? Not in Maine. But compared to California, it'll probably be cheaper.

Safe areas...

Again, once you get north of Portland, you don't have much to worry about. There are some sketchy neighborhoods in Augusta, but some really nice ones too. Personally, I wouldn't move to Lewiston, but there are some really nice areas outside of Lewiston.

Maine has the highest tax burden of all the northern New England states. But if you can make a living here, the quality of life is second to none.

Nice towns within commuting distance of Portland: Falmouth, Yarmouth, Freeport, Brunswick, Topsham, Bowdoinham, Durham. I've heard mixed things about Lisbon and Bath schools, so that might factor into your thinking.

The bright side to the Maine economy being in the tank right now is that if you're looking to buy a home, you've got A LOT to choose from, and no reasonable offer will be refused.
Thank you so much Mark will check out the areas.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:51 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Dear Wonderful Maine Forum Members,

I have read many of your threads especially the long one on moving to Maine started in 2006...lol .I know there were a few recent posts on it but wondered if any of your opinions changed since then with the economy, more taxes etc. I ask for many reasons. Here is our story...

I am originally a New York girl born and raised. I got married to a born and raised Californian. I moved to Northern California and loved it . We love the mountains, beaches, fishing , hiking and the sweet people there. Due to a job change moved to the Midwest... enough said..lol Don't get me wrong love the people, area is sweet but now my husband has to commute a lot due to new circumstances . We have dealt with it but very costly and looking for opportunities and researching other areas all the time. I would love to eventually be back to mountains, beaches and a simple lifestyle. We have two children still at home. I guess I would like a life like your member Forest bee keeper .
How sweet

I think I like you.

In which case you have my permission to move to Maine.

Quote:
Now we have an opportunity due to a job in Maine for Dh . If we accept he would be working out of Portland. I notice the taxes and house prices in that area. We would want rural, cheap taxes ( oh bother as Winnie the pooh would say who doesn't..lol ) and don't mind commuting.
You conversationally quote Winnie?

My Dw has not read this thread yet, she will adore you. though actually she prefers Eyore.

Quote:
... In fact realize we would have to commute to get more of what we would want. Any suggestions, opinions etc would greatly help us. It seems like everything would be costing us so much more then the Midwest.

Safe area, rural , good schools, low taxes are some of our needs. Do you all have any opinions on if you would move to Maine now with the economy, do you like it there, and any other help, advice, opinions appreciated.

Blessings to you all.
Come out and look around.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for your wonderful , insightful , fast posts. I really appreciate. I am sorry Alison I should have clarified my commuting. We are use to commuting as we did in Northern California and here the difference is we are now at a different job then when we first moved to Midwest. The commuting involved now involves an apartment for DH during week and home on weekends compared to driving commute to and forth daily.
I do understand that version of 'commuting'.

I have known a few men who did that type of commuting.

In that case, you could easily buy a farm house up in Northern Maine.

52% of Maine is 'Unorganized Townships'. No mayor, no selectmen, no tax collector, no code enforcement officers. So the tax base is very low.

You can easily find the UTs online on the Maine.gov website.

We were able to find property minutes from the freeway, and therefore easily accessible to airports, hospitals, U of M, and shopping.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:16 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Hello GardenAngel!

I'm new to the Maine forum as well. Haven't moved to Maine yet in person (we're in Wash. DC/northern Virginia), but it has helped me to come on here as we prepare to transition when my husband retires from the military in 2 years.

My moving to Maine opinion is: Yes! And I agree with Mark S's comments.

In what part of northern California did you live? My mom grew up in the redwoods just south of Eureka. Her sister lives in the mountains between Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen, east of Redding. These areas are much different than the other regions of California.

Don't have suggestions for towns within commuting distance of Portland, but you will receive plenty of helpful information on here. I would recommend buying a very good map of Maine (The Gazetteer). Enjoy! (I love the Winnie the Pooh quote too.)

Old 11-12-2008, 05:49 PM

The tax situation for each person is different.

So to each of us, what makes high taxes, or low taxes will be different.

For example, lets say that you decided that you desired to live in Lincoln county Maine. Now Lincoln county has a series of UTs [Unorganized Townships], Having never visited any of them I will pick on at random, lets say 'Haddock Island'.
You go to Haddock Island and you find 100 acres of land that is in Treegrowth. A forester says that it is all 'hardwood' classification.

Well, in Lincoln County Hardwood treegrowth is assessed at $94 / acre. And Lincoln County's Mil Rate is 0.0463, so your annual taxes on that 100 acre parcel would be like $43.52 I think.

Is that a high tax?

Or a low tax?

It all depends on your perspective.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:39 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
What services is one going to get for that $43.00? Police? Fire? I know I rather like having fulltime coverage by both.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 PM

You can't have it both ways.

Low taxes means few municipal services, and such is available in Maine.

Higher taxes means a high level of municipal services and folks sucking on the government trough.

Here in Penobscot county we get a sheriff driving through once a week, and a game warden once a week.

experto crede

Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You can't have it both ways.

Low taxes means few municipal services, and such is available in Maine.

Higher taxes means a high level of municipal services and folks sucking on the government trough.

Here in Penobscot county we get a sheriff driving through once a week, and a game warden once a week.

experto crede
One must remember that some folks who are planning to move to Maine are used to having full time police and fire departments, and they will expect it in Maine. They may not want a sheriff driving by once a week, or want to wait a few hours for a sheriff to come to their home.
Yes they wil have lower taxes in an unorganized township, but they will be lacking in some services they are used to. They need to be told of this also.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:47 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
How sweet

I think I like you.

In which case you have my permission to move to Maine.

You conversationally quote Winnie?

My Dw has not read this thread yet, she will adore you. though actually she prefers Eyore.

Come out and look around.
Welcome gardenangel.. I have been in Winnie the Pooh (a smll community theter version) and am partial to the ADHD Tigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine