Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:30 PM

20 posts, read 61,357 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have lived the entirety of my 29 years in "the south" VA, TN, SC, etc; however, my company is now considering offering me a transfer to Maine (portland). It would involve a promotion and salary bump, but I am unsure. To me the north-east has always seemed a foreign frozen-tundra (I'm sure the reality is different). So, for anyone who has lived in both regions (or those who have just visited), can one happliy move from south to far-north?

Is Portland a good area for singles in their late-20s? Or should I avoid the move (this would likely require me losing my current job and having to start fresh--a rather scary proposition in this job market).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 03:29 PM

6,634 posts, read 13,577,771 times
I had lunch with four CD friends today. One is from Texas, another from West Virginia and another from Florida. They love it here. Maine's frozen only 45 weeks out of the year....well....not really, but there have been people here who have honestly thought we have nine months of winter. Winter doesn't usually start until December unless you're way up north, then it might be a bit earlier. We might still have a little snow in April or like this year, it might be a very easy winter and spring arrives in March.

I have a 25 year old daughter who likes Portland. She's moving to Boston in a few weeks and wishes it were Portland instead. Will you have a chance to come here to look around before making your decision?

Old 08-05-2010, 03:39 PM

Hi, MW, thanks for responding. I will have a quick chance to visit; however, it will be in August, when I assume the whole region seem ideallic. I have already figured I will need a new wardrobe, I am mostly concerned that I have heard people are more insular and I will be stuck "feezing and alone" for months on end. Or perhaps this is merely urban legends told my my southern co-workers. I don't excpect everyone to be like they are in the south, as every region is clearly differnent, but I do worry about feeling lonely in a new place, as I'm unsure if there are other late-20-somethings in the area.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:50 PM

You do need warmer clothes. A good pair of insulated winter boots and wool socks will keep your feet warm outside all day. A good coat that blocks the wind and is insulated, a hat and gloves will take care of the rest of you. It's usually warm inside but if you're chilly just add a layer of clothing. Silk is lightweight but holds warmth well.

You should expect some of us (Mainers) to be a little standoffish while we wait to figure out whether you're coming here to tell us everything we do is wrong and try to change our ways. It happens. Once we know you're not here to "fix" us you'll be fine. Be friendly, be yourself and get involved in something that interests you and you'll make friends. While you're here, ask around to find out what there is to do in the area and try to meet some late-20-somethings. That will give you a head start.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:04 PM

The "outsiders moving here to try and change things" is also a big theme in SC so I definately understand where people are coming from. Personally, I appreciate and enjoy what makes each region unique--though I will likely need to ditch some sundresses for mittens.

I'm glad to hear that the region has people in their late 20s who are happy. I will visit soon, but had been concerned about meeting others that feel into the same age-range. I realize a real move will require a period of adjustment; however, it is nice to know that others in the region are in the same position. It will likely take me a while to adjust, but this is seeming more like an opporuntity than an exile at least.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:10 PM

The worst that can happen is you get here, hate it and find a job elsewhere. I think it's important to go to new places, meet new people, see new ways and learn about other ways of life. My 25 year old lived in Minnesota for two years. It was good for her. We're very glad she went. She didn't love everything about Minnesota but she liked a lot of it, made friends she keeps in close touch with and doesn't regret it for a second. Bring a few sundresses, the humidity combined with a 90* day will make you glad you did. We're having a cool August now and for the 10 day forecast but it's not usually this cool. Highs in northeastern Maine for the next 10 days are in the high 70's. Portland might be a few degrees warmer. The good thing about the heat and humidity is that it doesn't last long.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,902,340 times
My daughter loves Portland. She moved there when she was 23 or so and is 30 now. Now she's in Saco but that isn't too far away. She had a great time there and not so much fun that the cops got involved. And lots of southerners move to the NE and have no ill effects. Some of US even move south. Listen to Maine Writer. She's got a lot of smarts. MW, hope you had a good time at lunch. Good crew there.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:20 PM

Thanks so much for your replies. I think you are right. I am trying to see this as an opportunity and enjoy what may come. (What female has ever resented buying new clothes!). Anyways, I hope to visit soon and will re-post if I have any specific new questions, but otherwise I look forward to a new adventure in the north! Worst case-I can always move south again.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:21 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,127,371 times
My hubby has a 27 year old son who grew up in Yarmouth, just outside of Portland. He's newly married and living in Freeport, and many of his friends are still in the area. They love it, and when they want it a little busier they head to Boston, just a couple of hours away. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Listen to Maine Writer. She's got a lot of smarts. MW, hope you had a good time at lunch. Good crew there.
I'll get your endorsement check out in the mail in the morning! We had a great time at lunch. Thanks. We're talking about lunch at this great little restaurant in Eastport after school starts. Maybe you've heard of it? It's called Bank Square Pizza. You should join us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine