Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Today I have received two NWS [National Weather dis-Service] emails. One calling for 7+ inches of global warming to fall in Northern Maine [Millinocket and Northward]. And a second one calling for 7+ inches to fall from Medway and Southward to Augusta.

Tonight and until Monday evening.

Woo Hoo!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 12:51 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
I am looking forward to my adventure tomorrow, heading up to Calais in the morning! Just hoping the Plow Guy gets here before I get back home!

Old 03-01-2009, 04:10 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Newcomers to Maine should be told about our forecasts and what they really mean. You see our forecasts require addition. When the weather man says 6 to 10 inches you should add those numbers and expect 16 inches. Various forecasters are saying we will get 9 to 12 inches or 10 to 15 inches tonight and tomorrow. Add them up. We could get 25 inches tonight and tomorrow. Hey, It happened one week ago today when we got 21 inches. and again on Wednesday when we got 26 inches.

Be prepared. Add the forecast number together in Maine.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Newcomers to Maine should be told about our forecasts and what they really mean. You see our forecasts require addition. When the weather man says 6 to 10 inches you should add those numbers and expect 16 inches. Various forecasters are saying we will get 9 to 12 inches or 10 to 15 inches tonight and tomorrow. Add them up. We could get 25 inches tonight and tomorrow. Hey, It happened one week ago today when we got 21 inches. and again on Wednesday when we got 26 inches.

Be prepared. Add the forecast number together in Maine.
I always thought weather forcasts were more accurate way, way, back when all they had was a huge piece of chalk and a board to write on..

Old 03-01-2009, 05:32 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I always thought weather forcasts were more accurate way, way, back when all they had was a huge piece of chalk and a board to write on..
that's on account of their letting the computers do the forecasts. Now, tell me, what's weather to a computer? Kinda like time to a hog in my book...

Old 03-01-2009, 06:18 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Garrison Keillor has an article in a Maine paper today. He said:

"I grew up... when you didn't complain about winter. Blizzards raged across the prairie and that was that. There was no weather forecasting, just a strong sense of foreboding.

Old people wrapped in quilts sat by the hearth, gumming their chicken bones, their rheumy eyes turned upward, listening to the wind in the chimney, and ... said things like, "The judgment of the Lord shall not be withstood." That was about it by way of prognostication."

Old 03-01-2009, 06:38 PM

346 posts, read 786,019 times
They're calling for 10 to 12 inches in the NYC ( and NJ ) area tonight and tomorrow.

What that means down here is that the area will be paralyzed.

When we get 3 or 4 inches the world just about stops.

All the people who have problems walking and talking will be driving with cell phones glued to their ear and accidents will double.

I ran to Wal-Mart today to get a new hat and there was a mad rush for supplies. Every cashier was open and there had to be 20 people waiting on each line. Needless to say, I left without a new hat.

Let's see what tomorrows news brings.................

Old 03-01-2009, 11:48 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,516,970 times
I live just West of Bangor, so over the years I found out when they call for 6-10 inches of snow in the Bangor area, we get the highest number indicated, in this example 10".

Now my Grandmother claims back in her day she can remember sledding down what is now Route 7 and having "snow banks as high as the telephone wires". She claims they had more snow back in the old days, but snowfall records indicate that is not so. But my Grandmother is not a liar. Two things happened back in her day.

First the telephone poles were made from locally grown cedar and not imported treated lodgepole pine, so they were a lot shorter in length. But mostly back in her day there was a lot more fields because more farming occured in the 1930's and whatnot. It was simply a lot more drifting and blowing snow since there was 50% more open land. With high snowdrifts, and shorter telephone poles there is the illusion that snowfalls were higher back then.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:23 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Default 1 March Weather

Lucky you...7+ inches in Maine now that is not such an abnormal thing now is it?? Here we are a bunch of "flatlanders" down here in CT and we are probablly already up to a foot of snow and there is no WHOO HOO coming from this Nutmegger. I haven't seen it snow this hard in years in this area. There is no traffic moving, schools are closed and I would bet that all of the city folk are at home working from their laptops.

I use to live in Northern Aroostook County and can recall the first year we moved up there the snow was touching the telephone wires...UGH...hope to NEVER see that again.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:51 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,464 times
The snow season has been great the last couple of years. Yes, keep it coming and snowmobiling into May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine