Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Bats and Skunks.....whats next....perhaps a porcupine? Oh My! I havent seen any skunks since I have been in Maine and only once I thought I might have smelled one on the road....I was wondering if their numbers had been thinned by disease; I used to see more of them when I lived in a small city in NH.

I like Bats too, Maineah....they give me a bit of the creeps.....but I do like them. I was wondering about putting up some bat houses in the back yard.....hoping a colony of bats might cut down on skeeters and flies. Has anyone had any luck with bat houses?
Out here north of Bangor there are plenty of skunks to share, Elston. Shall I ask a few to start heading your way?

We like bats, too and putting up bat houses is on our "to do" list, but we haven't got to it yet. I have not seen many, but the swallows have been busy critters.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:19 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Oh my! Weren't you looking for a kitten earlier? Ask and you shall receive?

Old 08-06-2009, 05:27 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Out here north of Bangor there are plenty of skunks to share, Elston. Shall I ask a few to start heading your way?

We like bats, too and putting up bat houses is on our "to do" list, but we haven't got to it yet. I have not seen many, but the swallows have been busy critters.
No let "Pepe La Phew."...and all his relations stay up there....(I would hate for my dogs to get tangled up with a skunk....and I have one foolish one who would definately get into it. In NH I had skunks living under the barn....but we managed to co-exist.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:09 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Bats and Skunks.....whats next....perhaps a porcupine? Oh My! I havent seen any skunks since I have been in Maine and only once I thought I might have smelled one on the road....I was wondering if their numbers had been thinned by disease; I used to see more of them when I lived in a small city in NH.

I like Bats too, Maineah....they give me a bit of the creeps.....but I do like them. I was wondering about putting up some bat houses in the back yard.....hoping a colony of bats might cut down on skeeters and flies. Has anyone had any luck with bat houses?
How 'bout those (as my son calls them) "W Chucks?" We've got a couple of fat ones perusing the garden here, but so far, none have sampled.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
How 'bout those (as my son calls them) "W Chucks?" We've got a couple of fat ones perusing the garden here, but so far, none have sampled.
They are cute from a distance.....but can really be a nuisance....I am glad that I dont see any evidence of them here.....at least so far....famous last words.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:18 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Not a fan of W Chucks. I'll spare you the details but it suffices to say the herd has been thinned substantially around here in the last year or so.
I was thinking of putting bat houses on the cupola of the barn. I saw in the Vermont forum that something is killing off bats in that area. I too have noticed a decline in the number of bats around here as well. We used to have five or six of them spending the summer in our garage attic and would watch them fly out at dusk on their "skeeter run" This year the only one we have seen was the one in the house last night.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:52 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Not a fan of W Chucks. I'll spare you the details but it suffices to say the herd has been thinned substantially around here in the last year or so.
I was thinking of putting bat houses on the cupola of the barn. I saw in the Vermont forum that something is killing off bats in that area. I too have noticed a decline in the number of bats around here as well. We used to have five or six of them spending the summer in our garage attic and would watch them fly out at dusk on their "skeeter run" This year the only one we have seen was the one in the house last night.

Yes, as creepy as they are, they serve a purpose for sure. I'd hate to see them all disappear.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,451,759 times
There is a fungus wiping out all of the bats in the Northeast.

Northeast Region, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Bat-killing syndrome spreads in Northeast - Science- msnbc.com

The map in the first link seems to show no problems yet in Maine. This might be just the year to put up as many bat houses as you can to help them. Don't know if it would work, but it couldn't hurt, right?

There is a guy up in route 3 just outside of Belfast that sells bat houses, but I don't think they're very difficult to slap together.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:34 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
There is a fungus wiping out all of the bats in the Northeast.

Northeast Region, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Bat-killing syndrome spreads in Northeast - Science- msnbc.com

The map in the first link seems to show no problems yet in Maine. This might be just the year to put up as many bat houses as you can to help them. Don't know if it would work, but it couldn't hurt, right?

There is a guy up in route 3 just outside of Belfast that sells bat houses, but I don't think they're very difficult to slap together.
It's really too late this year Bats are migratory and have been in their established homes since May

Old 08-06-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
It's really too late this year Bats are migratory and have been in their established homes since May
That is good information to know.....thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine