Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:16 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times

Advertisements

We put our smelt shack on last weekend. The first few times we went it was kind of slow. The tides may have played a part just after the new moon. The last time I went I picked up a few dozen so hopefully this upward trend will last. There are five more camps on where I fish and everyone has been talking about how slow it is. Better than last year when the ice was so thin and unpredictable we didn't even get the shack on at all. It beats sitting in front of the TV. I have my heater and lantern, a sandwich, and something cold to drink so I'm all set. There are worse ways to spend a winter's evening in Maine that's for sure.

There are lots of smelt camps for rent in Maine. Just Google Smelt Camps Maine and you'll get a nice list. I have fished many of the ones listed over the years and they are all fairly similar. They provide lights, a wood fire, and have bait available to buy right there. It's great fun and kids love to go. I like the rental places and they are convenient if you only go once in a while though it's hard to beat having your own place if you want to go a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 05:59 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Smelting can actually be a lot of fun, there's a place in dresden, and randolph, that we use to visit, have a few home brews and catch some smelts.
You can have many "lines" going, and if they are running-it is exciting

Sometimes 'smelting' gets a bad rap, many think it must be cold-but most of the shacks have a stove of some kind to keep it warm-kids have a blast when the smelts are running.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Smelting can actually be a lot of fun, there's a place in dresden, and randolph, that we use to visit, have a few home brews and catch some smelts.
You can have many "lines" going, and if they are running-it is exciting

Sometimes 'smelting' gets a bad rap, many think it must be cold-but most of the shacks have a stove of some kind to keep it warm-kids have a blast when the smelts are running.
Only a dozen tonight. Not great but better than being skunked! My biggest issue is I'm allergic to bloodworms! After the fourth or fifth time I handle bloodworms I get a weird form of conjunctivitis (pink eye) in both eyes. I have to stop smelting or use another bait until the swelling in my eyes goes away. It can get really bad! It looks like someone punched me in both eyes for three or four days. I try to use shrimp or even a cut up sucker for bait when I can get it but the bloodworms work the best so when I really want to catch smelts I have to suck it up and buy some eye drops!!
Normally beer is the beverage of choice for smelting except this year I'm on a no beer diet trying to lose weight before my daughter's wedding. I'd much rather be sipping on a Geary's or a Shipyard than a Poland Spring Water or diet drink but the fishing is still fun regardless!

Old 01-14-2011, 02:36 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
Talk about fishing....If you want a chuckle, look at some Bill Dance bloopers:

Fishing Bloopers - Snotr

I don't know about smelt catching. Only eating. I have always loved them. My dad was crazy about them and got me to like them when I was a a preteen.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM

123 posts, read 297,287 times
thanks oo7, it is funny.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Talk about fishing....If you want a chuckle, look at some Bill Dance bloopers:

Fishing Bloopers - Snotr

I don't know about smelt catching. Only eating. I have always loved them. My dad was crazy about them and got me to like them when I was a a preteen.
I laughed so hard my side hurts!!! Thanks I needed a good laugh!! The runaway trolling motor had me on the floor!

Old 01-21-2011, 04:05 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Default "When The Smelt Run In the Kennebec....."

Here is a tribute I wrote to Love and to Spring in Maine as a parady to the oldie song "Spring time in the Rockies":

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog1...-kennebec.html

Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Here is a tribute I wrote to Love and to Spring in Maine as a parady to the oldie song "Spring time in the Rockies":

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog1...-kennebec.html
Please copy and paste it here if you can. I don't have access to blogs.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:36 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Happy to oblige Maineah.....

When the smelt run in the Kennebec

Here is a tribute to Love and to Spring in Maine as a parady on the oldie song "Spring time in the Rockies": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiDqf...eature=related

....and now with apologies to "the singing cowboys"....a one and a two and a-three; take it away boys:

When smelt run in the Kennebec;
When there's open water too;
When smelt run in the kennebec,--
I'll come running back to you.

When fiddle heads are peeking,
From the braken and the goo;
When skunk cabbage are a'growing--
I'll come slinking home to you.

Little sweetheart of the river;
with your bonnie eyes of blue;

Keep your skillet good and greasy;
get some flour and pepper too;
For this Maine Man's dipped his limit;
And he's coming home to you.

Smelt are running in the Kennbec;
And there's open water too;
but I'm running home to you!

With your eyes of purest blue;
Smelt are running in the Kennebec
But I'm staying home with you!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Happy to oblige Maineah.....

When the smelt run in the Kennebec

Here is a tribute to Love and to Spring in Maine as a parady on the oldie song "Spring time in the Rockies":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiDqf...eature=related

....and now with apologies to "the singing cowboys"....a one and a two and a-three; take it away boys:

When there's open water too;
When smelt run in the kennebec,--

When fiddle heads are peeking,
From the braken and the goo;
When skunk cabbage are a'growing--
I'll come slinking home to you.

with your bonnie eyes of blue;

Keep your skillet good and greasy;
get some flour and pepper too;
For this Maine Man's dipped his limit;
And he's coming home to you.

And there's open water too;
but I'm running home to you!

With your eyes of purest blue;
Smelt are running in the Kennebec
But I'm staying home with you!
I LOVE IT!!!!! Great song elston!!! That should be the Maine State Song replacing the Maine Stein Song!!!! Thanks for posting it!!!
I'll have to sing it down at my shack tomorrow night (except I'm on the Androscoggin) He a smelt is a smelt they won't care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: