Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 07:50 AM

88 posts, read 221,493 times

Advertisements

After talking to many people this week about our holiday meals, it seems nobody is making the old gizzard, heart, and neck meat stuffing. They look at me like I have three heads." You put what in your stuffing?" and yes I still cook my stuffing in my bird, haven't been sick after eating this way for 50 years.
To me it wouldn't be Turkey day without it.
How many here make it this way still?

Still thankful( but makes me a little sad they have been over for years) for all the memories when I was a kid having Thankgiving at my grandparents on Deer Isle with my parents and all of the aunts uncles and cousins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 08:01 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Not sure how DW makes it. All I know is it tastes fantastic and it still goes in the bird to cook.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:26 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
I boil the liver , giblets, and neck and use the broth for gravy. Sometimes I dice them and put them in the gravy, too. I usually eat the liver myself (one of my favorite parts!).

Old 11-26-2009, 09:28 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
I grew up with the innards either cooked into the gravy or the stuffing like you say. The only Thanksgiving meal that made me ill was when I was 11 and I drank nearly a whole gallon of cider by myself!

Old 11-26-2009, 11:50 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
I do not put organ meat in the stuffing since my other half does not like it at all... but I do use the broth from cooking the giblets and neck to moisten the stuffing (made from dry bread saved over the last few months, broken and stored in the freezer).

I usually eat the liver; the gizzard and heart will be chopped up in the critters' supper tonight and the neck meat will become part of the stew pot contents when I boil down the carcass tomorrow.

and I, too, still stuff the bird. I used to make the leftover stuffing in a casserole but it mostly went to waste, as we all like the bird stuffing best... so I now take my left over stuffing (bread, onions, celery and herbs, minus the broth) and freeze to use in a chicken later.

Bird just went in the oven.. now to make cranberry sauce from some local, non-brand-name berries.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:57 AM

722 posts, read 1,511,630 times
I am still making the stuffing with all the turkey gold that is hidden inside the turkey and stuff the bird, it is not Thanksgiving if it is not a stuffed giblet dressing turkey in my house. If we have a lot of people I make an oyster dressing that just bakes in a pan, so we have two kinds of yummy dressing.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:14 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
My stuffing includes the gizzards, but not the neck. I also have ground pork and hamburger in it, along with celery, onion, garlic, raisins, cranberries, and spices. This year I used two loaves of Ciabatta bread that I broke into cubes and left out overnight in a big, huge bowl to dry up. I boil the celery and onions separately and also the gizzards and neck. That water is all used to make gravy. Delicious. Old french family recipe for the ingredients, with my twists added over the years.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:24 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I boil the liver , giblets, and neck and use the broth for gravy. Sometimes I dice them and put them in the gravy, too. I usually eat the liver myself (one of my favorite parts!).
I do something similar but use the broth from the neck and giblets for basting and do not put it into either the stuffing or gravy. We stuff the bird too. You run into trouble only if you stuff the turkey the night before as the warm temps around the center cavity tend to be a great envrionment for incubating any bacteria present. If you cook the bird directly after stuffing it and make sure it cooks to about 175-185 you won't have any trouble.........

Old 11-30-2009, 01:45 PM

36 posts, read 157,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill95 View Post
How many here make it this way still?
If it were up to me, we'd do it that way, cause I grew up eating it like that. My Mom and both Grandparents always did it that way. Unfortunately my wife isn't too keen on it, so we settle for stuffing the bird the same day it goes into the oven and cooking until it's 185 degrees... but sans the liver, giblets, and neck. I'm smart enough to know that a happy wife is a happy life.

Yesterday was the last of 4 straight days of turkey dinners. I loved each and every meal as if it was Thanksgiving, but tonight there is red meat on the menu.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:20 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screeno View Post
If it were up to me, we'd do it that way, cause I grew up eating it like that. My Mom and both Grandparents always did it that way. Unfortunately my wife isn't too keen on it, so we settle for stuffing the bird the same day it goes into the oven and cooking until it's 185 degrees... but sans the liver, giblets, and neck. I'm smart enough to know that a happy wife is a happy life.

Yesterday was the last of 4 straight days of turkey dinners. I loved each and every meal as if it was Thanksgiving, but tonight there is red meat on the menu.
We had cheeseburgers last night .....they were good! I'm turkeyed out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine