Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 07:18 AM

12 posts, read 32,448 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are contemplating the purchase of a camp for snowmobiling, atv riding, fishing and relaxing. Looking to be within four hours of nh border. We have ridden in the errol nh area and The County based out of Fort Kent really to far a ride for weekly three day trips. What I think that I really want to know is how is the grooming and trail quality in other areas of Maine as compared to Fort Kent. I realize there can be a year to year issue as the snow amounts vary and the trails are groomed by volunteers. Right now we are concentrating on the middle area somewhere around Skowhegan me or Errol/Colebrook nh. Granted the trails of Northern Maine are superior to northern nh. Our long term plans are eventually retire to this camp. I am not concerned with how close the big box stores are. I just want to be able to ride from the camp on reasonably smooth trails as opposed to trailering all the time. Any opinions on where best to research?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 07:32 AM

740 posts, read 1,882,291 times
The trails around Rangeley are usually pretty good but get a lot of sleds so they get pretty beat up. If you go further north towards Eustis and Jackman they seem to get better. you may also want to check out Greenville. From there you hit the trails north to Millinocket and southern aroostook county or go towards Jackman and Eustis.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:30 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,342 times
I have since struck Greenville from my list of places to ride. In the past few years the traffic and smoothness of the trails have been so bad that it is just no longer worth riding there. They have tried a lot of various different ways to improve the grooming, from having the town take it over, to having the club do it, to even contracting it out...alll to no avail. I really hope for the sake of their town, and the businesses there they start realizing that snowmobilers are putting Greenville on the do-not-ride list. Yes its that bad!

Jackman is a good place to ride and I had my best day in that town (403.3 miles in one day) but it gets hammered with traffic. I dislike riding with a lot of traffic and so rarely get up there or head that way. They do get snow though when areas of Maine are without.

The same can be said for the Caribou area. I admit I have not fully explored the trails up there, but this is not condusive to the riding I like to do. I like tight twisty trails rather then stretches of boring railroad bed and logging road. To each there own however. If that is what you like, then Caribou and points north get snow when other parts of Maine don't...a serious consideration when you are investing in a camp.

This year we have discovered the Parkman-Cambridge area and while that area is not fully explored yet, I like the trails. Not as many logging roads, nice flat trails, absoluetly no traffic and good views and terrain.

All in all I prefer Waldo County the best. I live here (right on ITS 83 so my sled has never seen a trailer) and the trails are numerous, uncrowded, well groomed and have good scenery. I encourage people to ride here, but if you are building a camp and want to get the absule most riding possible per winter season, then this might not be the place. Other places like Jackman and Caribou are riding before and after we can, but when the snow is plentiful here, I think Waldo County is the best.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:52 AM

Looking at the google map it would seem that the Cambridge area would be in our preferred drive time. We rode Shin Pond in April, their trails where a nice mix of wide open and tight. I think that is why we like the Maine trail system. Just when you are getting bored by the higher speed logging roads you come into the narrow woods. In NH there are very few higher speed trails also the 45 mph limit is the pits. Plus in ME there is a significant decrease in traffic over NH. Although we would like to sled all year reality says we need to look at warm weather options. In addition one daughter lives in Plymouth MA I am sure she would like to use the camp in summer. She spent one summer interning in Damariscotta, she fell in love with Maine.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:43 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Check out the Lincoln, Lee, Springfield area. The trails are mostly old logging roads. We are 4 hours from Portsmouth and closer in time to Berlin. We are in the Down East Lakes region and costs for land and camps are lower than southern Maine. The clubs all have large groomers now and our trails are excellent since we have lower traffic than those areas that advertise heavily.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:20 PM

78 posts, read 163,547 times
HI,
My husband and I have ridden in many parts of Maine. I personally do not care for the Rangeley trails, my husband likes them, they do get busy and I'm not a big fan of riding on the lake. My sister in law had a camp on Fahi Pond so we have ridden the Bingham area/Carrabasset area, nice trails but its' been a few years since we've ridden there. We have also ridden the Houlton area up to Ft. Kent and the Allegash, beautiful trail system. By far my favorite is the Millinocket area, the view of Katahdin are breathtaking. We bought a camp in Sherman this past year and experienced some great riding in the Sherman, Shin Pond, Millinocket areas. They did not have as much snow as last year but the snow they had was great and the trails were awesome. My husband who is an avid rider loved the area and our friends who rode with us loved it too!!

We love the Sherman area, we are able to see Katahdin from our road, the local people are very kind and friendly. The snowmobile club President and her husband who is the head groomer stopped in to welcome us. I can't say enough good stuff!!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:09 AM

All the folks of northern Maine are great. Truly is the way life should be. Every time I see Katahdin it brings joy to my life, same effect I get from seeing Mount Washington clothed in snow. It looks more and more like The County is the place to be. We just need to get past the long drive and find a place we can live with. Definitely has to have a few acres and either have easy trail access or be part of the trail system. I would prefer the trail crossed my property so I don't have to depend on the largess of someone I don't know and who may sell to someone that does not ride.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:48 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Default that is not a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I have since struck Greenville from my list of places to ride. In the past few years the traffic and smoothness of the trails have been so bad that it is just no longer worth riding there. They have tried a lot of various different ways to improve the grooming, from having the town take it over, to having the club do it, to even contracting it out...alll to no avail. I really hope for the sake of their town, and the businesses there they start realizing that snowmobilers are putting Greenville on the do-not-ride list. Yes its that bad!

Jackman is a good place to ride and I had my best day in that town (403.3 miles in one day) but it gets hammered with traffic. I dislike riding with a lot of traffic and so rarely get up there or head that way. They do get snow though when areas of Maine are without.

The same can be said for the Caribou area. I admit I have not fully explored the trails up there, but this is not condusive to the riding I like to do. I like tight twisty trails rather then stretches of boring railroad bed and logging road. To each there own however. If that is what you like, then Caribou and points north get snow when other parts of Maine don't...a serious consideration when you are investing in a camp.

This year we have discovered the Parkman-Cambridge area and while that area is not fully explored yet, I like the trails. Not as many logging roads, nice flat trails, absoluetly no traffic and good views and terrain.

All in all I prefer Waldo County the best. I live here (right on ITS 83 so my sled has never seen a trailer) and the trails are numerous, uncrowded, well groomed and have good scenery. I encourage people to ride here, but if you are building a camp and want to get the absule most riding possible per winter season, then this might not be the place. Other places like Jackman and Caribou are riding before and after we can, but when the snow is plentiful here, I think Waldo County is the best.
Waldo County is a total hit or miss area. Some winters you will get badly disappointed...........little snow, lots of ice, etc. Almost no winter at all.
I'm telling you...........there is no place like the County for riding. GREAT snow, awesome grooming, tons of amenities, helpful people, festivals, etc. etc. It is a total lifestyle up here.
(Whoever said the trails up here are boring is crazy. There is a great variety..........all kinds.)

Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Default glad you like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLynn35 View Post
HI,
My husband and I have ridden in many parts of Maine. I personally do not care for the Rangeley trails, my husband likes them, they do get busy and I'm not a big fan of riding on the lake. My sister in law had a camp on Fahi Pond so we have ridden the Bingham area/Carrabasset area, nice trails but its' been a few years since we've ridden there. We have also ridden the Houlton area up to Ft. Kent and the Allegash, beautiful trail system. By far my favorite is the Millinocket area, the view of Katahdin are breathtaking. We bought a camp in Sherman this past year and experienced some great riding in the Sherman, Shin Pond, Millinocket areas. They did not have as much snow as last year but the snow they had was great and the trails were awesome. My husband who is an avid rider loved the area and our friends who rode with us loved it too!!

We love the Sherman area, we are able to see Katahdin from our road, the local people are very kind and friendly. The snowmobile club President and her husband who is the head groomer stopped in to welcome us. I can't say enough good stuff!!
Glad you like it, JLynn. Southern Aroostook/Millinocket is a great area to ride. As is East Grand/Danforth area.
But remember: the HARDCORE stuff is even further north..........lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine