Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 07:58 AM

42 posts, read 177,570 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any suggestions for day trips? School is closed this week and we plan to take advantage of the time to see more of the state. We live near Auburn and we've seen all there is to see here. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 08:32 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for day trips? School is closed this week and we plan to take advantage of the time to see more of the state. We live near Auburn and we've seen all there is to see here. Thanks!
The weather doesn't look too promising for the week, so how about the Children's Museum in Portland or Bangor? The art museum at Colby College in Waterville, the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath and the Penobscot Marine Museum in Searsport. Call Willowbrook Museum at Newfield and see if it's open. Your kids will love the old carousel and toy collections, as well as the sleighs and other displays.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:45 AM

Thanks, Coaster, for your response. We've been to Portland a few times but havent seen much more than the inside of a few bars so far. We'll probably head down there and take in some sights. Looks like Thursday and Friday will be the best weather days of the week.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:29 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Quote:
Hi maisy,

How do you like Maine and the Auburn area? Didn't you just move there recently? (I remember some of your previous posts.) We're moving to Maine next year and are trying to narrow down the areas of the state we'd like to live in. Thanks .

Old 04-23-2007, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,700 times
Quote:
you could try fiddleheading great way to spend the day with family and get somethin great to eat or just jump in the car with fishpoles in the trunk stop and fish at any given stream loads of fun and great way to spend time with kids.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:59 PM

12 posts, read 33,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt4fam View Post
Hi maisy,

How do you like Maine and the Auburn area? Didn't you just move there recently? (I remember some of your previous posts.) We're moving to Maine next year and are trying to narrow down the areas of the state we'd like to live in. Thanks .
I'd like to know more about the area too. Any info on Turner or surrounding areas would be helpful. We will be moving back to Maine next month.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:40 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
zakaab,
The one thing I forgot to tell you about Turner is if you should move here, stay away from North Turner, especially the Plains Road. That is where DeCoster egg farms is located and its stinky and full of flies.
We rarely smell it here but the closer you get the stronger it is..
We have a newly rebuilt and enlarged Food City here, which I checked out last evening for the first time, and prices are comparable to Shaw's, Hannaford and the super Walmart.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:46 AM

Maisy,
I hope you got to do some day trips. Have you been to North Conway yet? Lots of outlet stores and no sales tax.
There is the railway over there that offers several different priced trips daily. We're going to take grandson as soon as they start up for the season. Storyland and Santa's Village are a bit further away, but doable day trips, when they open.
In the summer, we love to go spend the day at Thomas Point Beach in Brunswick. They have a big bluegrass festival there every September, though I have yet to go.
Also, in Gray there is Stonehedge. They have a country music festival and a bluegrass festival every summer. Not sure if any of these things interest you, but thought would let you know.
Oh yes, almost forgot Funtown/Splashtown.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:12 AM

Default Thanks for the replies!

I should have been checking this thread, I assumed since the school break was over, so were the responses. First of all, we absolutely LOVE it here. We picked the area because while it's close enough to work in Portland, it's far enough to avoid summer crowds. At first, it felt like another planet, coming from South Jersey, but in a really good way. It's a much more relaxed pace of life, and the air is breathable!!Overall, the people are much nicer here. Sure you come across a jerk now and then but not on the same scale that we're used to.

As far as the day trips, the person who first responded commented about the weather forecast for that week. Well, the weather definitely wasnt day trip friendly so we went to the movies. Summer is right around the corner, at least according to MY calender, so we will check out some of those places mentioned. I think Gray is only about 25 minutes from here.

Thanks again for your responses.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:05 AM

Maisy,

Another one I forgot that your kids would enjoy is the wildlife park in Gray. Its full of animals that have been injured/orphaned and cannot be released back to the wild. They also have a fish hatchery there.
Nice place to spend a day. They have picnic tables and bbq grills if you care to picnic there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine