Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 11:02 AM

32 posts, read 148,066 times

Advertisements

Hello Mainers....

I've been considering satellite radio for my home. I know many people have it for the car now. But I happen to live in an area that gets very bad terrestrial radio reception (geographically my house is land-locked or something - very little signal gets through), and I'd sort of like to get some news and a little good quality music. The companies that offer it -- XM and Sirus -- seem to have great lineups for relatively low subscription rates (under $15/mo).

If anyone reading has this in their home, could you comment on how you like it? How does it work -- is there a satellite antenna on the outside of the house like satellite TV that hooks up to receivers inside? How much hardware do you have to buy? And is the reception really a consistent good quality?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks -- LillieB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,681,341 times
It came with our car free for three months. We let it run out.
if you get cable tv or satellite tv you already have the signal for most of the xm stations coming in to the house.
Hook your cable or satellite box to the stereo and you're all set.
My DB has XM/Sirius in his car but did not bother with the home receiver as he does the cable tv thing.

Last edited by Maineah; 07-29-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-29-2009, 11:14 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,743,136 times
I love it! I do not have an antenna on the top of my house; that would probably be best. However, I point the little antenna to face south in my house as directed. Didn't have to buy hardware and was told that if I wanted it on the roof, what I purchased would do the trick - so no having to buy anything extra. Reception is excellent.

One thing I had to figure out. Sometimes I would take the "monitor" from the car to the boombox in the house and when I turned on the radio, I wouldn't get a sound or I would get a message saying, "Check antenna." I would then check the signal strength from the menu on the remote. If the top bar shows just one-quarter of the top bar filled and all of the bottom bar, it means you should get reception. I re-read the directions which said if there is no audio, just reinsert the monitor and I've had no problems since. I have really really enjoyed it.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:23 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,788,755 times
I love my XM setup. I have a couple Pioneer AirWare xm2go receivers along with the Altec Lansing XM3020 Docking/Speaker Station. Signal comes in fine even though I can't aim the antenna towards the south. I prefer it over the Delphi XM MyFi as the Pioneer will hold about 10 hours of recording as opposed to 5 hours even though it stated 5 hours also. Check out Amazon and you'll be surprised at the low price you can get one for. My second one was around $20. They still work with the merge and plenty of choices of stations. Never thought I'd pay for radio but have enjoyed it for about 3 years. I record my favorite station and take it to work and listen to it seems the signal won't come in the building. I can carry it on my belt or put it in my car and save money. Good luck

Old 07-29-2009, 07:55 PM

346 posts, read 786,791 times
I have Sirius in my vehicles.

When I want to listen in the house, all I do is login to my account online and play it thru the computer.

I added a subwoofer to the computer and it sounds great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine