Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:39 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,952,189 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm retired from the Navy, and currently live in San Angelo, Texas (a small city in west Texas). The population is deceiving at 100,000, but that's including a lot of the smaller outlying areas also. The town is fantastic. Summers are hot (real hot), and winters are mild (gets into the 20's sometimes, and maybe snows 1 day a year). The town is accomodating with 2 super Walmarts, a Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc. There's a mall here, but it's very small and one level. Crime is extremely low and normally conducted between people who know each other. Drugs are here of course, but you have to look for them. Even in the less desirable sides of town, you don't just see people selling/doing drugs.

I wouldn't even consider moving if it wasn't for the climate. I really feel pulled to something with seasons. Being retired, a job would be okay, but not required. More for my wife (she's a CNA (certified nursing assistant). If I could root this city and move it I would. So, I'm looking for a city with essentially the same offerings as I've listed above. I don't want flat, but don't want to live on the side off the mountains, either. I would like a climate that is warm in the summer, snows in the winter, and rains in between. I could probably go for about 200k for a house, but would rather have a small place (1500-1800 sqft), and some land. I would like to be close to water (lake or river), but don't want to have to worry every 5 years about flooding. A small town near a larger city (no more than 60 mins drive) would be preferable also.

If any of you reading this can point me towards any towns that I could look into, I would be greatly appreciative! Thanks.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:52 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
North of Bangor, Maine would meet all your needs. The further south you go the higher the price. Send me a PM.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:08 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
Going on what you're looking for I'd suggest you look at Bangor and the small towns around it as one possiblity. Here's a Link with a lot of basic information. Bangor, Maine (ME) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders You'll have four seasons, the mall is pretty big-1 story but, has everything in one area. Restaraunts, Borders, home depot, walmart, target, k-mart, you name it, all in one area. You can live in a small town outside of Bangor and be at the mall in twenty minutes.

Last edited by msina; 10-27-2007 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: oops

Old 10-27-2007, 11:56 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
LOL, my new house just about fits what he wants...for $200k I might be talked into selling it

Old 10-28-2007, 08:36 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Hi all. I'm retired from the Navy, and currently live in San Angelo, Texas ...
That's too bad.

This is my sixth year of retirement, not bad ehh?

I was able to buy land and build a house using cash from other investments, my DW works at the commissary in Bangor.

And I raise livestock and market at an Organic Farmer's Market in Orono.

It is likely that you would enjoy yourself here.

It is my understanding that CNAs are in high demand here.

Fair winds and following seas;

ET1(SS) USN retired

Old 08-26-2009, 09:27 AM

85 posts, read 184,622 times
Northern MAine is your place! Presque Isle has Lowes, walmart, a mall, small but a mall, hospital, and housing is reativly cheap. PM if you need anything else.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,974,083 times
You do realize that this thread is almost 2 years old don't you? That poster has most probably found his retirement city.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM

85 posts, read 184,622 times
oops sorry

Old 08-26-2009, 01:22 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,909,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Hi all. I'm retired from the Navy, and currently live in San Angelo, Texas (a small city in west Texas). The population is deceiving at 100,000, but that's including a lot of the smaller outlying areas also. The town is fantastic. Summers are hot (real hot), and winters are mild (gets into the 20's sometimes, and maybe snows 1 day a year). The town is accomodating with 2 super Walmarts, a Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc. There's a mall here, but it's very small and one level. Crime is extremely low and normally conducted between people who know each other. Drugs are here of course, but you have to look for them. Even in the less desirable sides of town, you don't just see people selling/doing drugs.

I wouldn't even consider moving if it wasn't for the climate. I really feel pulled to something with seasons. Being retired, a job would be okay, but not required. More for my wife (she's a CNA (certified nursing assistant). If I could root this city and move it I would. So, I'm looking for a city with essentially the same offerings as I've listed above. I don't want flat, but don't want to live on the side off the mountains, either. I would like a climate that is warm in the summer, snows in the winter, and rains in between. I could probably go for about 200k for a house, but would rather have a small place (1500-1800 sqft), and some land. I would like to be close to water (lake or river), but don't want to have to worry every 5 years about flooding. A small town near a larger city (no more than 60 mins drive) would be preferable also.

If any of you reading this can point me towards any towns that I could look into, I would be greatly appreciative! Thanks.
There are 3 urban areas in Maine, like what you want:
Portland (200,000 or so). VERY expensive. I don't think you can get what you want there, based on what you said about your wish list and available money.
Lewiston/Auburn (100,000 or so). Cheaper, but a very messed up city. No way I would live there. Too much dysfunction and social ills.
Bangor/Brewer (90,000 or so). This may be your only alternative. Sometimes it seems like a decent city and other times it seems like a rough place. It is the social service center of the entire northern half of the state, so you get all kinds of people heading there. Not always good.

There a couple of other areas with 40,000 to 50,000. Too small for you?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:12 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
There are 3 urban areas in Maine, like what you want:
Portland (200,000 or so). VERY expensive. I don't think you can get what you want there, based on what you said about your wish list and available money.
Lewiston/Auburn (100,000 or so). Cheaper, but a very messed up city. No way I would live there. Too much dysfunction and social ills.
Bangor/Brewer (90,000 or so). This may be your only alternative. Sometimes it seems like a decent city and other times it seems like a rough place. It is the social service center of the entire northern half of the state, so you get all kinds of people heading there. Not always good.

There a couple of other areas with 40,000 to 50,000. Too small for you?
the population of portland is around 63,000 (largest city in maine)

lewiston is around 35,000, auburn around 20,000
and bangor is just under 32,000 maine's third largest city

and by the way,
auburn has some very nice neighborhoods,,,,i've lived there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine