Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:35 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times

Advertisements

I don't know if people from out of state post weather related questions on your forum, but if so, would love your advice, input:

One of our city-data members who lives outside of the U.S. is flying over here as she has always wanted to be married in New England during leaf season. Myself, along with three other CD members will be attending.

The wedding is taking place in Greenville, Maine, the first weekend in October.

My question:

I live outside of Boston. It's already a tad nippy here, so I am wondering what it is like for those of you who reside in northern Maine. The three other CD members who are flying in for this wedding are all from the south. -If I recall correctly, we're looking at an outdoor ceremony at sunset. On Moosehead Lake.

What are your temperatures like around the first weekend in October? I've actually heard some people who recently returned from southern Maine say that they were wearing long underwear. (!?!?)

How might the leaves be?

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to answer a "dumb weather question!"

P.S. In the event we're talking snow, break it to me easy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:44 AM

85 posts, read 184,541 times
The leaves should be just starting to turn. And it will be chilly. Probable 60's during sunlight and fairly quickly getting cooler as you lose daylight. A beautiful time though. Oh and Greenville isn't really "northern". Good luck!!! And congrats!

Old 09-18-2009, 06:17 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
In Greenville and on Moosehead Lake the foliage season will be at its peak. Down in Southern Maine it will be just beginning. Greenville is central, but due to the elevation and the fact that it's surrounded by mountains the foliage turns earlier there.

In early afternoon the temps could be between 40 and 60 degrees with 50 as an average. Plan for 40 and a breeze. You can always take off a layer. Peak foliage season here is usually during the first full week of October. This has been a very wet year and it will peak early.

Best wishes to our new CD family.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:00 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atardie View Post

Oh and Greenville isn't really "northern".
It's not?

When I looked it up on mapquest, it indicated a good 5.5 hour drive from my house, and it looked as though it's just a couple of miles east of Quebec!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

the foliage season will be at its peak.

You can always take off a layer.
That's what the happy couple are going for: peak leaves!

And the dressing in 'layers' thing is definately good advice! I'm thinking of telling the southern segment of this wedding party to bring parkas, ear muffs, and thermal underwear.

Me, I'm just looking for a flannel cocktail dress that matches my long johns, and I figure I'll be all set!

Thanks to both of you!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 AM

Moosehead is more mid maine to me... North is houlton up... Sorry for the confusion... When I go just about anywhere to the city...I have to go South!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:14 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
The Quebec Border with Maine is actually largely along the Western portion of the state. Towns in Quebec like Saint Gorges and Lac Etchman and even Montreal and Quebec City are actually further South than some Maine communities like Fort Kent, Caribou and Presque Isle.

Moosehead is beautiful and I'd agree with the weather forecast that you got. You'll be there at the right time. You may need a sweater, but it won't be too uncomfortable until night falls.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:36 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
"When I looked it up on mapquest, it indicated a good 5.5 hour drive from my house, and it looked as though it's just a couple of miles east of Quebec!"

Maine is bigger than the rest of New England combined. Consider somebody asking about New England weather and you'll get very different answers from people who live in Burlington, Vermont and Providence, Rhode Island. More than half of Maine is further north than Burlington, Vermont. When we say we are going down to Vermont, people who don't know look at us funny. From my house when I head west I reach Quebec and east takes me to New Brunswick.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:14 AM

As for me....Quebec is southwest!LOL!!! Sorry for the confusion! But Greenville will be beautiful in Oct. It always is!

Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Have the ceremony at NOON! It gets COLD when the sun goes down that time of year. Besides photography needs the light of the day to look natural. It's too dark for photos without a flash at dusk.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:46 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Keep an eye on this map for foliage:
MaineFoliage.com - Maine's Official Fall Foliage Website
,,,and this one for weather:
Weather ~ Moosehead Lake Region, Maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine