Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:16 AM

393 posts, read 982,051 times

Advertisements

By acclaimed author Stephen King, this NYTimes review makes it sound wicked good:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/bo...k.html?_r=1&hp

For those who wish to find out more details about his tragic auto accident in Lovell, as well as his simple roots and personal struggles, I suggest reading his excellent book entitled On Writing. Stephen King is considered to be a hero in Lovell, where he has a summer home. Locals often talk about his personal generosity and lack of pretension. (He is also known to wander into Central Lovell market, where they have his books for sale, and surrepticiously sign the books and slip them back into the bookshelves)

The smaller of two libraries in Lovell also has a very complete collection of his books - a shrine, really - and he or his wife Tabitha sometimes give lectures there in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times
I am a die-hard King fan, he does not get taken seriously enough for his great contribution to American Lit. I find his ability to write convincing dialogue simply amazing. I just purchased Under The Dome yest so I'll keep ya posted. Although I am a fan, it doesn't mean I am crazy about every single thing he's written. For instance, I really didn't care for Lisey's Story, I seriously tried but just couldn't get into the book. I really liked Duma Key although I didn't like the use of the first-person narration as much. I read the first few pgs of Dome and was pleased to see he went back to a third-person narrator so I'm really looking forward to this book. Happy reading everyone!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
I just got my copy in the mail. (Ebay: $15 included shipping.) Can't wait to get started! I'm also a big fan, but not of all of his books. I didn't like Duma Key at all. I actually liked Lisey's Story. I was still driving a lot for work at the time, so I listened to the recorded book version. Maybe that made a difference. I know several people who didn't like the book either...

Old 11-12-2009, 12:37 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
I always look forward to getting my hands on a new King book.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:00 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
He and Tabitha used to come into the original Pat's Pizza in Orono around 9:30 at night. He would say to Pat, "Has IT come out from under the porch lately?"

Pat would say, "Now don't go scaring the customers."

The "porch" was the loading dock out back and a dark and gloomy place at night.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:08 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
We used to live in Milford and went into Pat's from time to time. I had a friend that worked there. She said they were awfully nice people. (you just can't beat a Pat's pepperoni pizza)
He was on "The View" Friday. I went to Amazon to look up the book, there are a few pics, one shows the back of a red house with white trim. Ordered the book as it was 50% off, couldn't resist.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:16 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
There is only one author that holds my attention so completely that I used to be late for work because I couldn't put the book down. That was and is Stephen King. Not enough to read the book, have to own it, own the movie and the audio book, too. The audio books keep me company on drives between Wild & Wonderful and The Way Life Should Be.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:24 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
I'm about 300 pages into "The Dome" and find it very well written and a good book so far. Usually a Stephen King book is an afternoon affair or two, a quick read that is entertaining, but not high on the literary scale. This one so far, shatters that stereotype. A bit of his usual gruesome details, but overall a book worth picking up and reading.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:43 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
I'm going to have to remember not to check this thread again until after Christmas. A regular item on my Christmas wish list is the latest Stephen King book (novel or short stories), and neither St. Nick nor Stephen King has let me down yet!

The less I know about the book prior to reading it, the better.

(Re: Pat's Pizza - there's a Pat's Pizza in Lincoln that was recommended to us by the owner of the house we rented this summer on Caribou Pond. It was great - one of the best veggie pizzas we've ever had. I didn't realize until after we got home that Pat's is a chain.)

Old 11-16-2009, 07:18 AM

263 posts, read 798,091 times
Here's the link to Stephens appearance on The View last week:

YouTube - Stephen King talks about his new book on The View - 11/13/2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine