Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,252 times

Advertisements

My husband recently got a job in Annapolis Junction and we'll be looking to relocate to the area soon from NC. I really like Carroll County after doing lots of research. I'm actually headed out to Sykesville/Eldersburg area in a couple of weeks to do some house hunting. However, I'm getting really mixed info about how my husband's commute will be. I've been told anywhere from 30 mins - 1hr. I'm hoping someone can clarify just how long of a commute this would be because if it is too long we'll need to adjust where we're focusing our house hunting. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 04:18 AM

1 posts, read 5,225 times
My husband commutes to the Annapolis Junction area from Westminster down 97. It usually takes about 50 minutes just to get to Columbia and ann additional 15+ minutes to get to AJ/Savage. The earlier one leaves, the less traffic (ex. 6:15-6:30 am) as traffic rapidly picks up toward the south end of 97 onto 70 and just continues to worsen approaching Columbia.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,078 times
You'll never get a straight answer to that question around here. We relocated from FL and it drove me crazy every time I asked how long it took to get somewhere. The reply was, "It depends on traffic. Could be 30 minutes or 2 hours". Now that I've lived here 5 years I understand! The time of day is EVERYTHING. If you leave at 6am the commute will take you 35-40 minutes. If you leave at 7 or later expect an hour or more.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:53 AM

24 posts, read 54,890 times
morning commute? probably an hour, during rush hour. best he's looking at is 45 minutes in the morning. coming home is probably worse. 29 to 70 becomes a disaster. and don't bother taking 32 all the way - it's a parking lot starting at 108. once you get through that choke point, it chugs along.

now, if you leave early (say, 6am), your morning commute will be 40-45. if you leave work no later than 4:30 (and this can vary), it should be 50 minutes home.

NOW, all that being said, southern carroll county is a pretty damn nice place to live. e-burg/sykesville is a nice area to raise a family.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,148 times
I am doing just the opposite. I live about 8 minutes north of Sykesville but I am selling and looking to relocated to Charlotte, NC. I would agree with bonovoxpsu on drive time.

I really like Carrol county. I grew up in Baltimore City and moved to Howard County when I was in 8th grade. I lived in Howard county until I got out of college and then moved to Carrol county. I like it so much better then Howard. The public schools up here are great if that is a concern. I could not be happier.

I just got back last night from Charlotte looking at land. My house is on the market if you want a log home.

You can see it here. 3713 Old Gamber Rd, Finksburg MD, 21048 (http://www.codearia.com - broken link)

Old 09-08-2010, 10:41 AM

19 posts, read 58,459 times
I agree with bonovoxpsu on travel time. As for living in Sykesville/Eldersburg, It is a great place to live. I have a bunch of clients that have bought homes there in the past few years and they absoulty love it. It is being built up pretty quickly. Homes are a great value. If you are looking for more information i can refer you to a great Realtor that specializes in helping home buyers in Eldersburg. Feel free to message me for their Info.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:56 AM

6 posts, read 22,921 times
I am a native Marylander returning to the area for work. I'll be at Ft. Meade and husband will be at AJ. Any input/updated info on the commuted times from Sykesville to AJ/Ft. Meade? thanks!

Old 03-20-2011, 01:06 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Sykesville to AJ/Ft. Meade on Md Rt 32 is 24.9 miles (per google)
@40mph (.66 mile per minute) = 34 minutes (per the math)

But that 25 miles is really three separate roads and conditions:
1) fight your way with every other commuter down the too narrow Rt 32 to I-70 (5 miles / 10mins)
2) cover what used to be a country drive on 32 to rt 108 (9 miles / 13mins)
3) fight your way past Columbia/Rt 29 and hope there aren't any accidents
or weather until you're past US 1. (11miles / 12 min)

add for traffic lights and neighborhood roads... = 40-45 minutes
add snow or an accident or a slow tractor going between fields somewhere...

Go to google and street view the trip for yourself.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:35 PM

382 posts, read 1,205,387 times
The people in my office who live in Carroll County all come to work before 6 a.m. to avoid the traffic. But really, traffic is bad anywhere west of 29 and northwest of 32 if you don't leave really early. Rt 100 gets clogged before 95 and Rt 295 is clogged from 100 south. 32 isn't great, but it's the best option. More and more I wish I lived east of 95 and could just take back roads in. I think 45-50 minutes minimum would be a good estimate.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 22,921 times
MrRational - Would you say the commute in takes about the same commuting home or is it worse coming home? I imagine I would get on the road after daycare opens so about 6:30am and hoping to get into the office at 7:30 and hopefully departing Ft. Meade around 4:30 and getting to daycare around 5:30/6.

newhart - I'm also exploring Ellicott City and Elkridge. I'm used to new or newer homes so that's challenging to do in Ellicott City for an affordable price. Elkridge is nice but if to the east of 95, the schools aren't as strong. Sykesville/Eldersburg seems like a good familly place and gives me the community feel. My sister lives in Eldersburg but she commutes into Baltimore so she's not able to give me any insight to commuting to AJ and Ft. Meade. I'm also challenged with some routine offsites in DC. Sykesville to DC seems really far. So now I'm also looking at Crofton and Severna Park - but new/newer at an affordable price is also challenging.

I appreciate everyone's input - it's extremely helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland