Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 PM

201 posts, read 574,483 times

Advertisements

I was just interested in what people like about where they live in the state. Maybe we can learn some things about parts of the state we didn't know already

I live on the Lower Eastern Shore and I'd have to say mine is the calm and quiet. Since the summer began I have really enjoyed being able to walk my dog down the middle of the road in between 2 cornfields and not worry about getting hit or attacked or bothered. (I walk in the middle to keep away from tall grass and those darn ticks!) I also like being able to walk by peoples houses and talk to them without it feeling weird or uncomfortable for either of us. So what do you like about where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 07:11 PM

7,026 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Mountains, forests, small towns, virtual no sprawl, having a personal or family to connection to nearly every corner of the county, and the fact that the locals have generations of intertwining kinship, friendship, and all other sorts of other connections.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:41 AM

316 posts, read 560,601 times
I like that I'm near the forest, rivers, and nature so I can go fishing and do outdoor things. Also there isn't a real lot of folks to bother me. Then we have a nice rural scenery and enjoying the smell of fresh country air . Also some things I can't buy in town so I have to drive like 20 to 45 mins to the nearest big store to buy those things. But overall I like it here because it's more laid back and calm, and it isn't as hectic as urban cities/towns. The eastern shore beaches isn't too far from where I live either.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:28 PM

I think I can identify with both of your areas, especially you Countryboy since you live in Caroline County. I've always wanted to go to western Maryland though. I've never been up there and always wondered what it was like.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 PM

478 posts, read 810,063 times
Lower eastern shore here too.

My favorite thing about this area is that I can get away with acting country.

I can also ham up my accent a bit when talking to outsiders. Somebody once told me that I sounded like I was from tidewater Virginia-I took that as a compliment.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
Lower eastern shore here too.

My favorite thing about this area is that I can get away with acting country.

I can also ham up my accent a bit when talking to outsiders. Somebody once told me that I sounded like I was from tidewater Virginia-I took that as a compliment.
That's actually pretty funny. I feel ridiculous out in public sometimes because my family is loud and has that tidewater accent. I have one too but sometimes that way they talk is like please stop...

Old 06-22-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
That's actually pretty funny. I feel ridiculous out in public sometimes because my family is loud and has that tidewater accent. I have one too but sometimes that way they talk is like please stop...
Do you feel that different parts of Delmarva have a different accent? For example, I've always felt that Somerset, southern Dorchester, and western Wicomico have more of the tidewater sound. Sussex county seems to me to have more of a generic southern or country twang than a distinct chesapeake or English influence.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:09 PM

829 posts, read 2,956,638 times
Love everything about the Eastern Shore...

...Hate everything about the states politics.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
Do you feel that different parts of Delmarva have a different accent? For example, I've always felt that Somerset, southern Dorchester, and western Wicomico have more of the tidewater sound. Sussex county seems to me to have more of a generic southern or country twang than a distinct chesapeake or English influence.
Absolutely! People from Sussex county have the oddest way of talking imo. I have a little bit of family from there and they sound like a mixture between a mid-atlantic (Pennsylvania-Northern Delaware) accent and a southern accent. I also have some family from Somerset. They all have an extremely southern sounding way of speaking. And even in Worcester county (where I live) there is that tidewater accent like in Wicomico and Dorchester. You don't hear it too much in Northern Worcester but when you start heading down to Ironshire, Newark, Snow Hill and Pokomoke it's more abundant. I love the accents down here on the lower end of Delmarva, i'm gonna miss that when I move this summer

Old 06-22-2011, 05:28 PM

Snow Hill definitely has the dialect. I know a farmer down there that even I have a difficult time understanding if he doesn't deliberately tone down his dialect.

That's a bit of a coincidence. I'm moving in late September up to Baltimore. It will be my first move off the shore (since I was 5, anyway...) I'm definitely looking forward to the chance to live in a more urban setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland